Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Playing Time Trends (snap count)

According to the Sun

I thought the most interesting ones were:

You might be surprised by this, but Dennis Pitta has played only six more snaps than fellow tight end Ed Dickson. I often get asked why Dickson isn’t more involved, but he is out there a fair amount, usually as a blocker and not a pass-catcher. And actually, over the past four games, Dickson played 147 snaps and Pitta played 139.
    Pitta's production has dipped (due to defenses keying in on him) but I'm assuming he's out there as a third receiver while Dickson is in at TE.

Wide receiver Jacoby Jones has not played more than 22 snaps in a game since the Week 4 win over the Browns. In the first four games, he averaged 30.5 snaps per game. Tandon Doss played 44 snaps in the first four and 34 in the next four. That’s partially because starters Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin rarely take a breather, playing 495 and 474 offensive snaps, respectively.
    Jacoby has proven himself to be a legitimate option as a third WR so I thought his role would only increase as the season progressed. Could the lower snap count be a byproduct of his switch back to KR and PR duties?

Re: Playing Time Trends (snap count)

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Jacoby has proven himself to be a legitimate option as a third WR so I thought his role would only increase as the season progressed. Could the lower snap count be a byproduct of his switch back to KR and PR duties?
    The Decrease in snaps at WR does seem to almost exactly correspond with Deonte Thompson being replaced by Jacoby at KR. But unfortunately it also seems to correspond with diminished effectiveness in the passing game. Doss has made a few nice catches but he just can't stretch the field like Jacoby.

As an aside, I think Jacoby was on the injury report last week so perhaps injury related as well? Either way, I think we'd all like him back in the mix on offense.