Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Why did McLellan start opposite Suggs on sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    By all accounts, courtney upshaw is a beast against the run and is a menace to the pocket. Why would they put Albert McLellan in now, when we need him the least?

I dont know if anyone else caught that when CBS showed him as the starting OLB.

Thoughts?
    McClellan has been very good setting the edge. On Sunday, Pees must have planned to use Upshaw at DT (passing downs only) in the absence of McPhee, and wanted to keep him fresh for that. They kept his snap count down early, but Upshaw got the bulk of the snaps as the game wore on.

I think it's difficult to find fault with how the Ravens have played the run on the outside. Edge setting has not been the problem, it's been weakness in the middle (down linemen and ILB) that have been the issue. I hope the emergence of Ellerbe could be the start of something special and I'd like to see McClain and McClellan split some snaps on the inside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    McClellan has been very good setting the edge. On Sunday, Pees must have planned to use Upshaw at DT (passing downs only) in the absence of McPhee, and wanted to keep him fresh for that. They kept his snap count down early, but Upshaw got the bulk of the snaps as the game wore on.

I think it's difficult to find fault with how the Ravens have played the run on the outside. Edge setting has not been the problem, it's been weakness in the middle (down linemen and ILB) that have been the issue. I hope the emergence of Ellerbe could be the start of something special and I'd like to see McClain and McClellan split some snaps on the inside.
    Yeah you kind of gave me the idea of McClellan playing the inside a few months back after the Philly game. Our weakness is certainly up the middle which tells me our nose tackles are doing a terrible job, and that our Jameel McClain has struggled with that lost weight. I really don't understand why you'd lose weight if your main talent is stopping the run, he's obviously never going to be a good coverage LB, and I think had he kept that weight or even bulked up he could have remained what he was last year or even improved as an effective 2 down LB.

I agree with the earlier poster saying that they are using a "pitch count" on upshaws snaps. he is a rookie who is getting used to his lower weight. They dont want him to hit that rookie wall so they are keeping his snaps low now so they can increase them in december when most rookies hit that wall.