Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33
  1. #16

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here



    Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Sure, he could be Brian Billick/Matt Cavanaugh
    Not like hes been much better. We have a better quarterback now. We have ray rice. We have Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith. I guarantee if we gave Billick the OC position now, our offense would be much, much better.

    Billicks fault was he was too faithful to Boller

    At least with Billick we would throw the ball over the middle




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,547
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    Billicks fault was he was too faithful to Boller
    So faithful that after 30 games he replaced him with Steve McNair.




  3. #18

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Using total yards is silly.

    I came up with a QB ranking system that I'm working on, the basic concept being adjusting QB rating to account for schedule. I.e. Philip Rivers has a QB Rating of 86.5 this year despite playing a schedule against teams that average 99.7. Hence, he is a below average QB this season.

    The way it works is I have ranked the performance of each game against a given opponent. Of the 9 games the bengals have played Flacco has the highest QB rating, so he earns a score of 1. Of the 8 games the Chiefs have played, Flacco registered the lowest QB rating (by far) so he earned a score of 8. By taking the average score across all games played you get a more fairly adjusted stat that simply yards or QB rating because a guy like Tony Romo, who has played a brutal schedule, is being unfairly judged.

    Unsurprisingly, Flacco has been below average this year. Mainly on the road where his games have been outright dreadful (7th out of 8 against Houston, 7th out of 8 in Cleveland 2, 7th out of 8 against Philly, dead last against KC). Using this metric, he has an overall ranking of 19 across the league.




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,924
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Yea, but you win games with points, not yards. So in the stat that matters more:

    2008 - 11th 24.1 ppg
    2009 - 9th 24.4 ppg
    2010 - 16th 22.3 ppg
    2011 - 12th 23.6 ppg
    2012 - 11th 24.9 ppg

    Top 10 numbers? No. Consistently better than the league average? Yep.

    Much of the anti-Cam hysteria, as well as much of the "Ravens = great defense/bad offense" perception, both locally and nationally, is simply ill-informed.

    I'll give you one example: Anyone think the Steelers have a bad/sub-par offense? Probably not. and yet, in the 4 1/2 seasons since Flacco/Rice/Harbaugh/Cam arrived in town, the Ravens have actually scored MORE points than Roethlisberger's Steelers. And not just by one or two, by over 100 points (1710 to 1606).

    My point is not that Cam is great, or the offense is great, but that both are significantly better than most Ravens fans realize.
    While you're correct that points matter more than yards, just using the total points and ppg as a measuring stick is misleading as well because it doesn't account for ST's points and defensive points.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,924
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    Not like hes been much better. We have a better quarterback now. We have ray rice. We have Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith. I guarantee if we gave Billick the OC position now, our offense would be much, much better.

    Billicks fault was he was too faithful to Boller

    At least with Billick we would throw the ball over the middle
    How can you guarantee that?

    You could theorize that the offense may be better...but then again, it may not be either.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #21

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    While you're correct that points matter more than yards, just using the total points and ppg as a measuring stick is misleading as well because it doesn't account for ST's points and defensive points.
    While that is true, over five years that will normalize out, because it's a fairly safe assumption that no one team has a monopoly on defensive/special teams TDs for five years straight.

    So far for this year, the top ten teams in offensive yardage are a combined 43-38, while the top ten scoring teams are 54-29. While neither shows particularly great correlation to victory, it's fair to say that scoring is the better of the two, and I doubt that would significantly change comparing other years.




  7. #22

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    So far for this year, the top ten teams in offensive yardage are a combined 43-38, while the top ten scoring teams are 54-29. While neither shows particularly great correlation to victory, it's fair to say that scoring is the better of the two, and I doubt that would significantly change comparing other years.
    Don't think anyone is saying that PPG is misleading in terms of who is going to win. Obviously, if you score more points than everyone else, your odds of winning are good; whether it's w/ offense, defense, and/or special teams.

    But I think what some are saying is that PPG by itself is misleading in measuring Offensive Output specifically, and in this case, Cam Cameron's performance individually.




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    448

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    I'd say that you'd have to be concerned that a coordinator has been with the same team for 5 seasons, and nobody's interviewed him to be their head coach yet.




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,547
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Total yardage rankings are always very misleading.

    Too many teams are racking up big numbers in garbage time, and skewing the whole thing.




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Yea, but you win games with points, not yards. So in the stat that matters more:

    2008 - 11th 24.1 ppg
    2009 - 9th 24.4 ppg
    2010 - 16th 22.3 ppg
    2011 - 12th 23.6 ppg
    2012 - 11th 24.9 ppg

    Top 10 numbers? No. Consistently better than the league average? Yep.

    Much of the anti-Cam hysteria, as well as much of the "Ravens = great defense/bad offense" perception, both locally and nationally, is simply ill-informed.

    I'll give you one example: Anyone think the Steelers have a bad/sub-par offense? Probably not. and yet, in the 4 1/2 seasons since Flacco/Rice/Harbaugh/Cam arrived in town, the Ravens have actually scored MORE points than Roethlisberger's Steelers. And not just by one or two, by over 100 points (1710 to 1606).

    My point is not that Cam is great, or the offense is great, but that both are significantly better than most Ravens fans realize.
    Beautifully put.




  11. #26

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Time of possession/drive efficiency are more important for us this year.

    Three and outs are hugely negative for our decimated defense.




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Severna Park
    Posts
    3,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    So faithful that after 30 games he replaced him with Steve McNair.
    I always point to this and it gets rug swept under. When Billick had good QB play, we were formidable. McNair had 1 good year here before his arm gave way to a team wide marred injury season, which translated into 'Billick' losing the team. I applaud Billick always taking the high road about coaches message getting stale, but I also think he was a victim of not having a better QB for most of his tenure here.




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I always point to this and it gets rug swept under. When Billick had good QB play, we were formidable. McNair had 1 good year here before his arm gave way to a team wide marred injury season, which translated into 'Billick' losing the team. I applaud Billick always taking the high road about coaches message getting stale, but I also think he was a victim of not having a better QB for most of his tenure here.
    That was his fault though, he was the one who chose Boller, if he really wanted to get a good QB, he should have done a better job trying to get one, it wasn't like Ozzie was just choosing all the players for Billick to work with, Billick had a lot more say on what players he wanted, and probably a lot more say than what Harbaugh has right now. Billick was also he one who wanted Grbac after getting rid of Trent Diffler. Billicks time ran out with this team, plain and simple.




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Severna Park
    Posts
    3,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    That was his fault though, he was the one who chose Boller, if he really wanted to get a good QB, he should have done a better job trying to get one, it wasn't like Ozzie was just choosing all the players for Billick to work with, Billick had a lot more say on what players he wanted, and probably a lot more say than what Harbaugh has right now. Billick was also he one who wanted Grbac after getting rid of Trent Diffler. Billicks time ran out with this team, plain and simple.
    That is all well and good, but who why did they get McNair then? Why not fire him after a 13-3 season? All the other QB shit gets flushed the minute the man had a legit QB in McNair.




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,949
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    That was his fault though, he was the one who chose Boller, if he really wanted to get a good QB, he should have done a better job trying to get one, it wasn't like Ozzie was just choosing all the players for Billick to work with, Billick had a lot more say on what players he wanted, and probably a lot more say than what Harbaugh has right now. Billick was also he one who wanted Grbac after getting rid of Trent Diffler. Billicks time ran out with this team, plain and simple.
    They wanted Leftwich and when that didn't pan out they picked Boller. It was Oz making the pick although I am sure everyone was consulted.
    At the time it made sense to try and upgrade from Dilfer also but when Jamal Lewis got hurt before the season, they just couldn't overcome it




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland