Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    I agree with you, but PPG is a bit misleading too from an offensive standpoint. Defensive and ST returns should be a separate category.

I compared Steelers' and the Ravens' offensive TD & FGs made from 2008 to now:

Ravens have scored 170TDs (Passing & Rushing) and 119 FGs Made for a total of 1377 Offensive Pts

Steelers have scored 164TDs & 123 FGs Made for a total of 1353 Offensive Pts

That total point discrepancy is only 24pts.

Still your point is well-founded. In the AFC North, no team is gonna be leading the league in PPG.

Hey interesting tidbit doing this analysis... 2008/2010/2011 we scored exactly 36 offensive TDs each year. 2009 we scored 43 offensive TDs. Hmmm what does that prove.... I contend that 2009 was our best OL in the Cam years, and this stat proves it. I'm convinced that OL play is the biggest factor in this season's offensive performance.
    It was also the only year that we actually had a 3rd WR that actually got catches. I think that's a big reason we've struggled offensively since the Patriots game (other than the amazing offense in the Cowboys game). Jacoby Jones hasn't been getting catches.

As a disclaimer, there's a chance my memory might be greatly inflating how much of an impact Kelley Washington had. But it seemed like he caught 3 or 4 passes a game for big first downs, and even had a few touchdowns. I do remember him getting much, much less catches in the last 5 or 6 games of 2009, and oh what do you know, that's when our offense declined. Though that could have a lot to do with Flacco playing injured.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I will say this. The back to back regular season wins at Heinz Field, with game winning drives by Flacco, are an improvement. Being able to come back from three TDs down (Arizona) is an improvement. For the offense to even be in a position to win the AFC Championship Game on the last drive shows improvement.

It's just not enough to get them to the new 'next level'.
    All of those instances you just brought up, Joe Flacco was calling his own shots in the no huddle/shotgun.

There is a theme here and that theme is Cam Cameron does not put players in their best position to succeed, but instead puts them in whatever position HE thinks is best. And he should stop thinking, because 9 times out of 10 he is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bengtc View Post
    Can Cam be any more mediocre?
    Sure, he could be Brian Billick/Matt Cavanaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Sure, he could be Brian Billick/Matt Cavanaugh
    Not like hes been much better. We have a better quarterback now. We have ray rice. We have Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith. I guarantee if we gave Billick the OC position now, our offense would be much, much better.

Billicks fault was he was too faithful to Boller

At least with Billick we would throw the ball over the middle

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    So faithful that after 30 games he replaced him with Steve McNair.

Using total yards is silly.

I came up with a QB ranking system that I'm working on, the basic concept being adjusting QB rating to account for schedule. I.e. Philip Rivers has a QB Rating of 86.5 this year despite playing a schedule against teams that average 99.7. Hence, he is a below average QB this season.

The way it works is I have ranked the performance of each game against a given opponent. Of the 9 games the bengals have played Flacco has the highest QB rating, so he earns a score of 1. Of the 8 games the Chiefs have played, Flacco registered the lowest QB rating (by far) so he earned a score of 8. By taking the average score across all games played you get a more fairly adjusted stat that simply yards or QB rating because a guy like Tony Romo, who has played a brutal schedule, is being unfairly judged.

Unsurprisingly, Flacco has been below average this year. Mainly on the road where his games have been outright dreadful (7th out of 8 against Houston, 7th out of 8 in Cleveland 2, 7th out of 8 against Philly, dead last against KC). Using this metric, he has an overall ranking of 19 across the league.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Yea, but you win games with points, not yards. So in the stat that matters more:

2008 - 11th 24.1 ppg
    2009 - 9th 24.4 ppg
    2010 - 16th 22.3 ppg
    2011 - 12th 23.6 ppg
    2012 - 11th 24.9 ppg

Top 10 numbers? No. Consistently better than the league average? Yep.

Much of the anti-Cam hysteria, as well as much of the "Ravens = great defense/bad offense" perception, both locally and nationally, is simply ill-informed.

I'll give you one example: Anyone think the Steelers have a bad/sub-par offense? Probably not. and yet, in the 4 1/2 seasons since Flacco/Rice/Harbaugh/Cam arrived in town, the Ravens have actually scored MORE points than Roethlisberger's Steelers. And not just by one or two, by over 100 points (1710 to 1606).

My point is not that Cam is great, or the offense is great, but that both are significantly better than most Ravens fans realize.
    While you're correct that points matter more than yards, just using the total points and ppg as a measuring stick is misleading as well because it doesn't account for ST's points and defensive points.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    Not like hes been much better. We have a better quarterback now. We have ray rice. We have Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith. I guarantee if we gave Billick the OC position now, our offense would be much, much better.

At least with Billick we would throw the ball over the middle
    How can you guarantee that?

You could theorize that the offense may be better...but then again, it may not be either.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    While you're correct that points matter more than yards, just using the total points and ppg as a measuring stick is misleading as well because it doesn't account for ST's points and defensive points.
    While that is true, over five years that will normalize out, because it's a fairly safe assumption that no one team has a monopoly on defensive/special teams TDs for five years straight.

So far for this year, the top ten teams in offensive yardage are a combined 43-38, while the top ten scoring teams are 54-29. While neither shows particularly great correlation to victory, it's fair to say that scoring is the better of the two, and I doubt that would significantly change comparing other years.

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    So far for this year, the top ten teams in offensive yardage are a combined 43-38, while the top ten scoring teams are 54-29. While neither shows particularly great correlation to victory, it's fair to say that scoring is the better of the two, and I doubt that would significantly change comparing other years.
    Don't think anyone is saying that PPG is misleading in terms of who is going to win. Obviously, if you score more points than everyone else, your odds of winning are good; whether it's w/ offense, defense, and/or special teams.

But I think what some are saying is that PPG by itself is misleading in measuring Offensive Output specifically, and in this case, Cam Cameron's performance individually.

I'd say that you'd have to be concerned that a coordinator has been with the same team for 5 seasons, and nobody's interviewed him to be their head coach yet.

Total yardage rankings are always very misleading.

Too many teams are racking up big numbers in garbage time, and skewing the whole thing.