Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 25 to 33 of 33
  1. #25

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here



    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Yea, but you win games with points, not yards. So in the stat that matters more:

    2008 - 11th 24.1 ppg
    2009 - 9th 24.4 ppg
    2010 - 16th 22.3 ppg
    2011 - 12th 23.6 ppg
    2012 - 11th 24.9 ppg

    Top 10 numbers? No. Consistently better than the league average? Yep.

    Much of the anti-Cam hysteria, as well as much of the "Ravens = great defense/bad offense" perception, both locally and nationally, is simply ill-informed.

    I'll give you one example: Anyone think the Steelers have a bad/sub-par offense? Probably not. and yet, in the 4 1/2 seasons since Flacco/Rice/Harbaugh/Cam arrived in town, the Ravens have actually scored MORE points than Roethlisberger's Steelers. And not just by one or two, by over 100 points (1710 to 1606).

    My point is not that Cam is great, or the offense is great, but that both are significantly better than most Ravens fans realize.
    Beautifully put.




  2. #26

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Time of possession/drive efficiency are more important for us this year.

    Three and outs are hugely negative for our decimated defense.




  3. #27

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    So faithful that after 30 games he replaced him with Steve McNair.
    I always point to this and it gets rug swept under. When Billick had good QB play, we were formidable. McNair had 1 good year here before his arm gave way to a team wide marred injury season, which translated into 'Billick' losing the team. I applaud Billick always taking the high road about coaches message getting stale, but I also think he was a victim of not having a better QB for most of his tenure here.




  4. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,237
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I always point to this and it gets rug swept under. When Billick had good QB play, we were formidable. McNair had 1 good year here before his arm gave way to a team wide marred injury season, which translated into 'Billick' losing the team. I applaud Billick always taking the high road about coaches message getting stale, but I also think he was a victim of not having a better QB for most of his tenure here.
    That was his fault though, he was the one who chose Boller, if he really wanted to get a good QB, he should have done a better job trying to get one, it wasn't like Ozzie was just choosing all the players for Billick to work with, Billick had a lot more say on what players he wanted, and probably a lot more say than what Harbaugh has right now. Billick was also he one who wanted Grbac after getting rid of Trent Diffler. Billicks time ran out with this team, plain and simple.




  5. #29

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    That was his fault though, he was the one who chose Boller, if he really wanted to get a good QB, he should have done a better job trying to get one, it wasn't like Ozzie was just choosing all the players for Billick to work with, Billick had a lot more say on what players he wanted, and probably a lot more say than what Harbaugh has right now. Billick was also he one who wanted Grbac after getting rid of Trent Diffler. Billicks time ran out with this team, plain and simple.
    That is all well and good, but who why did they get McNair then? Why not fire him after a 13-3 season? All the other QB shit gets flushed the minute the man had a legit QB in McNair.




  6. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    15,468
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    That was his fault though, he was the one who chose Boller, if he really wanted to get a good QB, he should have done a better job trying to get one, it wasn't like Ozzie was just choosing all the players for Billick to work with, Billick had a lot more say on what players he wanted, and probably a lot more say than what Harbaugh has right now. Billick was also he one who wanted Grbac after getting rid of Trent Diffler. Billicks time ran out with this team, plain and simple.
    They wanted Leftwich and when that didn't pan out they picked Boller. It was Oz making the pick although I am sure everyone was consulted.
    At the time it made sense to try and upgrade from Dilfer also but when Jamal Lewis got hurt before the season, they just couldn't overcome it




  7. #31

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    They wanted Leftwich and when that didn't pan out they picked Boller. It was Oz making the pick although I am sure everyone was consulted.
    At the time it made sense to try and upgrade from Dilfer also but when Jamal Lewis got hurt before the season, they just couldn't overcome it
    I don't know why so many people forget that we wanted Leftwich, not that he was much better. Were they just not around for this?

    And Grbac was an upgrade from Dilfer on paper. I doubt they'd have made the playoffs with Dilfer after Jamal went down.




  8. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    I don't know why so many people forget that we wanted Leftwich, not that he was much better. Were they just not around for this?

    And Grbac was an upgrade from Dilfer on paper. I doubt they'd have made the playoffs with Dilfer after Jamal went down.
    And who knows what the offense with Grbac and a healthy Jamal Lewis would have looked like.




  9. #33

    Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    That was his fault though, he was the one who chose Boller, if he really wanted to get a good QB, he should have done a better job trying to get one, it wasn't like Ozzie was just choosing all the players for Billick to work with, Billick had a lot more say on what players he wanted, and probably a lot more say than what Harbaugh has right now. Billick was also he one who wanted Grbac after getting rid of Trent Diffler. Billicks time ran out with this team, plain and simple.
    After 2000, Billick really wanted Brad Johnson since he was familiar with him when he was with the Vikes. Once Brad signed with the Bucs, he went into anybody but Dilfer mode, and Grbac was the best QB on market. Grbac wasnt Billick's guy.

    Yes Boller was Billick's guy, but Oz liked him too. This has always been underplayed in Raven's lore. Oz knew that the Ravens needed a QB after Jeff Blake nixed Brian's pleas to come back for an inexpensive contract. Oz was a big Leftwich guy, did not like Grossman, but he did think Boller was attractive with his Brian Sipe like arm strength. If you honestly think that Oz was opposed to Boller, than he simply wouldnt have been drafted. Oz, while influenced by BB's opinion, made the final decision on who to draft.

    I will agree that BB's message was getting stale and needed to go. Hey Harbs could be getting into that territory in a year or two from now unless they win the SB.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland