Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 212223
    Blog Entries

Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Using your water analogy, I'd say is drowning by way of drips.

There is a reason most businesses use 3% as the standard cost of living raise because that's the statistical average of growth in the US. 2% growth is still growth, yes, but when everything is increasing at a high rate, even if it's a modest 1%, it's still a slow burn towards the bad side of the economy.
    and that may be better. 3 years ago we were drowning, pretty deep. how fast can you realistically expect to recover from a -4% entire year. seeing as thats where we were just a few years ago, i consider a stable 2-3% good comparatively and am not really arguing that there isnt obvious room to improve. There seems to be ebs and flow in everything, but our GDP is one thing thats basically always gone up. Taking a hit like that was unprecedented and thats why i feel people are being unrealistic with their expectations in its recovery.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    and that may be better. 3 years ago we were drowning, pretty deep. how fast can you realistically expect to recover from a -4% entire year. seeing as thats where we were just a few years ago, i consider a stable 2-3% good comparatively and am not really arguing that there isnt obvious room to improve. There seems to be ebs and flow in everything, but our GDP is one thing thats basically always gone up. Taking a hit like that was unprecedented and thats why i feel people are being unrealistic with their expectations in its recovery.
    Clinton and Reagan both managed to do it within a year and half after getting elected.

Blog Entries

Clinton and Reagan both managed to do it within a year and half after getting elected.
    neither had a negative GDP to start from though. Thats the unprecedented part.

http://www.google.com/publicdata/exp...hl=en&q=us+gdp

it continued to go up until 2008. which he did turn around within the first year and a half.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 11-08-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: My bad -- hit edit instead of quote
    -JAB

neither had a negative GDP to start from though. Thats the unprecedented part.

http://www.google.com/publicdata/exp...hl=en&q=us+gdp

it continued to go up until 2008. which he did turn around within the first year and a half.
    Ok, but it wasn't some cavernous hole either. We were told that the stimuli would solve the issue and it did nothing but create more debt.

Things were "even" (for lack of a better word) within a year. It should not have taken this long to get back on square footing -- and we're still not on that footing as of today.

Blog Entries

Ok, but it wasn't some cavernous hole either. We were told that the stimuli would solve the issue and it did nothing but create more debt.

Things were "even" (for lack of a better word) within a year. It should not have taken this long to get back on square footing -- and we're still not on that footing as of today.
    maybe the stimulus is the only reason were even where we are now. whos to know what could have or did happen in an unprecedented situation. I dont, thats for sure. Im not saying there wasnt another way, very well could have been, I just dont think it can be said this would have worked for sure or better whether thats Reaganomics or Clintons approach because neither had this situation... and two wars on top of it.
    -JAB

maybe the stimulus is the only reason were even where we are now. whos to know what could have or did happen in an unprecedented situation. I dont, thats for sure. Im not saying there wasnt another way, very well could have been.... .
    Ever hear of a company called Ford Motors...?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Ever hear of a company called Ford Motors...?
    yes?
    -JAB

Sorry, poor reading comprehension. I mistook the point.

Nothing to see here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt