Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 272
  1. #226
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,327
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread



    This is my first time stepping into the political forum here, but I thought that I would give it a try.

    It just seemed like the republican party was too distracted to realize that they didn't have much to choose from. It was like they went from Romney, to Palin, to somebody else, before returning to Romney, who always had this feel of being the best of the worst. That got them off to a bad start.

    While Romney has a successful resume, the person he began to portray was not the person history documented him as being and that was just too wide of an opening that he left.

    Where I felt confidence in Romney is where he was going to make significant strides in lowering the national debt. However, I just felt like he was going to have to sacrifice too many hands to do it and I didn't feel like I was in a personal position to survive the bleeding.

    Obama's strategy was to salvage as many as possible and I happened to be one of those who benefited from that strategy. If it weren't for his efforts to hold off many of the foreclosures in the country, in part, to give time for several of the mortgage assistance programs to help out, I would have lost my home. If it weren't for the unemployment extension, I may have defaulted on several student loans. That extension gave me the time that I needed to find a job. Now, I'm working two.

    As a result, I think his strategy also resonated with many others who were in similar situations.

    Romney's strategy, in my opinion, could have been successful in the long-term, but there was too much doubt as to how many casualties there would be along the way. I just couldn't see how he was going to do a better job of decreasing the national debt than Obama has done, yet also do a better job of providing more jobs than Obama would do within the next four years. I just didn't see a plan that I could be confident in.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  2. #227

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    This is my first time stepping into the political forum here, but I thought that I would give it a try.

    It just seemed like the republican party was too distracted to realize that they didn't have much to choose from. It was like they went from Romney, to Palin, to somebody else, before returning to Romney, who always had this feel of being the best of the worst. That got them off to a bad start.

    While Romney has a successful resume, the person he began to portray was not the person history documented him as being and that was just too wide of an opening that he left.

    Where I felt confidence in Romney is where he was going to make significant strides in lowering the national debt. However, I just felt like he was going to have to sacrifice too many hands to do it and I didn't feel like I was in a personal position to survive the bleeding.

    Obama's strategy was to salvage as many as possible and I happened to be one of those who benefited from that strategy. If it weren't for his efforts to hold off many of the foreclosures in the country, in part, to give time for several of the mortgage assistance programs to help out, I would have lost my home. If it weren't for the unemployment extension, I may have defaulted on several student loans. That extension gave me the time that I needed to find a job. Now, I'm working two.

    As a result, I think his strategy also resonated with many others who were in similar situations.

    Romney's strategy, in my opinion, could have been successful in the long-term, but there was too much doubt as to how many casualties there would be along the way. I just couldn't see how he was going to do a better job of decreasing the national debt than Obama has done, yet also do a better job of providing more jobs than Obama would do within the next four years. I just didn't see a plan that I could be confident in.
    Very well stated. I think they took a guy with the resume, then tried to make him into the candidate they wanted as opposed to the one he was. Kind of explains the flip flopping that he did from before running for president vs after. Im not sure Mitt would have been horrible had he stuck to his guns rather than listen to party leaders/agendas. Hopefully Romney and Obama do find a way to work together and bring together the two sides.
    -JAB




  3. #228
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,495
    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I just couldn't see how he was going to do a better job of decreasing the national debt than Obama has done, yet also do a better job of providing more jobs than Obama would do within the next four years. I just didn't see a plan that I could be confident in.
    Debt has substantially gone up since Obama took office, not down as you claim. In four years, he's racked up more debt than all previous Presidents combined.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #229
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Detroit Michigan
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Debt has substantially gone up since Obama took office, not down as you claim. In four years, he's racked up more debt than all previous Presidents combined.
    Adding to that, despite what Obama has said about the Buffet rule and eliminating debt in 10 years, he's wrong. This not an exaggeration, it would take 500 years to pay of the debt from 2011-2012 with help from the buffet rule. And that's excluding the 498 other years of debt.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Sirdowski; 11-07-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

    –Eleanor Roosevelt




  5. #230

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Debt has substantially gone up since Obama took office, not down as you claim. In four years, he's racked up more debt than all previous Presidents combined.
    GWB excluded... though in 3 and a half years he surpassed Duya's 8 year total which had previously topped the prior aggregate. In the next 4 years he will have more then doubled the debt created throughout he 20th century.
    Last edited by jonboy79; 11-07-2012 at 01:53 PM.




  6. #231

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Debt has substantially gone up since Obama took office, not down as you claim. In four years, he's racked up more debt than all previous Presidents combined.
    Your numbers simply aren't true. Debt went up 6 trillion under George W Bush. Of that nearly 4 trillion was in his second, 4 year term. Debt went up 2.8 trillion under Obama during the greatest recession since the depression. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...es_public_debt




  7. #232
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,327
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Debt has substantially gone up since Obama took office, not down as you claim. In four years, he's racked up more debt than all previous Presidents combined.
    I said that in the context that Romney claims he can do a better job than President Obama, with the idea that he feels President Obama has not done a good job. I wasn't talking about actual numbers.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  8. #233
    Quote Originally Posted by dweezil22 View Post
    Your numbers simply aren't true. Debt went up 6 trillion under George W Bush. Of that nearly 4 trillion was in his second, 4 year term. Debt went up 2.8 trillion under Obama during the greatest recession since the depression. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...es_public_debt
    Seriously don't try this one. I had the same argument and was completely ignored.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2




  9. #234

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dweezil22 View Post
    Your numbers simply aren't true. Debt went up 6 trillion under George W Bush. Of that nearly 4 trillion was in his second, 4 year term. Debt went up 2.8 trillion under Obama during the greatest recession since the depression. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...es_public_debt
    Debt rose 5.3 Trillion in Obama's 4 years vs 4.9 in Bush's 8... you are not looking at the raw numbers. You are using numbers that attribute Bush's tax cuts to his years, even after the fact. BY that metric, add the $877 Billion from Bush's term to Obama's, as it was his policy during Bush's lame duck period.

    http://www.politifact.com/new-hampsh...f-time-george/

    Just as Bush had to deal with What occurred during his tenure(9/11!!!!) and Policy that was leftover from the previous term, as does Obama. Despite knowind about these tax cuts Obama did absolutely NOTHING to cut spending, and in truth, increased it with dramatic flair. Estimates of the effect of such cuts are simply that as well, and it is not known for fact that revenue would have even been increased had the tax cuts were cancelled, which Obama CHOSE not to do.




  10. #235

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    Seriously don't try this one. I had the same argument and was completely ignored.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    because it's a fallacy of twistefd truths. It does not jive with the reality that is math.

    And that is all beside the fact that no one here is absolving GWB of his drunken spending.




  11. #236
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,256

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    For my money, the reason Romney lost is because of the portrayed craziness of his party in the media. From Palin to Bachmann to Akin, these last few years and months have been awash with Republicans preaching about rape, pregnancy and God. After awhile, that grates on people. Obama had his work cut out for him this election, but Mitt's own party did Mitt no favors. I don't trust politicians in general, but I have come to find some of these modern Republican leaders downright repulsive.

    I am excited about Obama's victory, as well as those of several others last night, because of the social turning point they represent in our country. There were several liberal women who defeated conservative men. We elected our first openly gay politician. My home state, Maryland, ratified gay marriage. Our president does not show the DISDAIN for women, the poor and minorities that I sense from Republicans (leaders, sometimes voters).

    Frankly, I would feel sorry for a country that elected a leader that said, when he thought the cameras were off, that he doesn't care about half the country.




  12. #237

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    Seriously don't try this one. I had the same argument and was completely ignored.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Point taken. I'm out!




  13. #238
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,739

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Debt rose 5.3 Trillion in Obama's 4 years vs 4.9 in Bush's 8... you are not looking at the raw numbers. You are using numbers that attribute Bush's tax cuts to his years, even after the fact. BY that metric, add the $877 Billion from Bush's term to Obama's, as it was his policy during Bush's lame duck period.

    http://www.politifact.com/new-hampsh...f-time-george/

    Just as Bush had to deal with What occurred during his tenure(9/11!!!!) and Policy that was leftover from the previous term, as does Obama. Despite knowind about these tax cuts Obama did absolutely NOTHING to cut spending, and in truth, increased it with dramatic flair. Estimates of the effect of such cuts are simply that as well, and it is not known for fact that revenue would have even been increased had the tax cuts were cancelled, which Obama CHOSE not to do.
    Jonboy, get outta here with facts!!!
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  14. #239
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,739

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    Seriously don't try this one. I had the same argument and was completely ignored.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    More like you were countered with facts and ignored them.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  15. #240
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    More like you were countered with facts and ignored them.
    Nah we've played this game before. My facts don't match up with the hive mind here, so they don't count.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland