Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 272
  1. #196
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread



    I followed Nate Silver all election run up because while I disagree with a lot of his commentary, I haven't been able to argue with his math yet. I can't stress enough how pin point his predictions were.

    Honestly I think this election was lost for the Repubs when they doubled down on the Tea Party rhetoric that worked well for them in '10. The shine had worn off that particular ideology pretty quickly. Frankly if they had adopted a truer libertarian platform skipped the religious and abortion talk, stay out of the gay rights debate, focus all rhetoric on the economy, taxation, and the deficit, they would have been much more appealing to a lot of young voters.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  2. #197
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Youre exactly right Spam. I posted above that the Tea Party made a mistake getting rid of Lugar. Galen callled it at the time
    and said that was an automatic win for GOP for 20 years. Rove and his liberal establishment doubled down on them like you
    said. He crucified Santorum.




  3. #198
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,526
    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I followed Nate Silver all election run up because while I disagree with a lot of his commentary, I haven't been able to argue with his math yet. I can't stress enough how pin point his predictions were.

    Honestly I think this election was lost for the Repubs when they doubled down on the Tea Party rhetoric that worked well for them in '10. The shine had worn off that particular ideology pretty quickly. Frankly if they had adopted a truer libertarian platform skipped the religious and abortion talk, stay out of the gay rights debate, focus all rhetoric on the economy, taxation, and the deficit, they would have been much more appealing to a lot of young voters.
    I agree if they a adopt a more Libertarian approach, they'd be better served.

    I don't agree however the Tea Party had anything to do with this loss. The Tea Party is essentially Libertarian in many ways. Texas just elected a strong Tea Party backer in Ted Cruz based on Libertarian ideals of less Government intrusion, lower taxes, less regulation, etc were mantras in his campaign. He'd fair on the national stage but the GOP good ole' boys may get in the way.

    Mitt ran a downright horrible campaign. He had every opportunity to frame Obama and, aside from one good debate performance, failed miserably at framing the debate. He stood back and did nothing as events he should have seized on -- Libya, unemployment numbers, etc -- came and went without barely a word.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #199
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,921
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I followed Nate Silver all election run up because while I disagree with a lot of his commentary, I haven't been able to argue with his math yet. I can't stress enough how pin point his predictions were.

    Honestly I think this election was lost for the Repubs when they doubled down on the Tea Party rhetoric that worked well for them in '10. The shine had worn off that particular ideology pretty quickly. Frankly if they had adopted a truer libertarian platform skipped the religious and abortion talk, stay out of the gay rights debate, focus all rhetoric on the economy, taxation, and the deficit, they would have been much more appealing to a lot of young voters.


    When you listen to a lot of the Tea Party members (not all...but a fair amount) you kind of start to see a fine line emerge and on one side you have Tea Party and on the other you have bat-shit crazy.

    Why the Republican party hasn't really opened their eyes and listened to guys like Gary Johnson and Ron Paul is beyond me. They are pretty outrageous on some of their views, but they tend to be on the side of letting facts and historical evidence guide their politics on a social, economic, and diplomatic level.

    Young folks are tired of the anti-homosexual and anti-abortion saber rattling at every corner by far too many Republicans. I think that is something that the Republican party (on a whole) just hasn't come to grips with yet.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 11-07-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #200
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Yea, but Mitt was the best of the worse lot.

    More hope rests with Rubio and Ryan in the future.

    I voted Libertarian yesterday but they gotta get rid of Rove and Bennett.




  6. #201
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,921
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I agree if they a adopt a more Libertarian approach, they'd be better served.

    I don't agree however the Tea Party had anything to do with this loss. The Tea Party is essentially Libertarian in many ways. Texas just elected a strong Tea Party backer in Ted Cruz based on Libertarian ideals of less Government intrusion, lower taxes, less regulation, etc were mantras in his campaign. He'd fair on the national stage but the GOP good ole' boys may get in the way.

    Mitt ran a downright horrible campaign. He had every opportunity to frame Obama and, aside from one good debate performance, failed miserably at framing the debate. He stood back and did nothing as events he should have seized on -- Libya, unemployment numbers, etc -- came and went without barely a word.
    While Tea Partiers definitely have some libertarian traits, the problem is that the political members who many would (or could) consider the "face" of the Tea Party are wayyyyy too invested in religion and all of the things that come along with religion being included in one's politics.

    You're right though. Mitt did run a bad campaign. There were several things that he could have called Obama on. He just flat out didn't. Not sure who was running his campaign, but they didn't do a very good job either. Like you said, other than the one debate, he didn't do anything while Obama's camp went straight after all of the things that could cast doubt onto Mitt (finances, taxes, etc).
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #202
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    I think we're having a communication break down on the Tea Party label.

    To me, and many people my age, Tea Party doesn't mean Libertarian. It mean anti-gay, birther, religious right. When forced to choose between voting for our economic beliefs and our morals, young voters go heart more than head. Maybe the Tea Party itself did a poor job defining itself, but to me, the Libertarian party is where to go for true small government values, and the Tea Party is where to go for lip service, followed by a discussion of why the government has a vested interest in what happens in my girlfriend's uterus or my gay neighbors' bedroom.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  8. #203
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,526
    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I think we're having a communication break down on the Tea Party label.

    To me, and many people my age, Tea Party doesn't mean Libertarian. It mean anti-gay, birther, religious right. When forced to choose between voting for our economic beliefs and our morals, young voters go heart more than head. Maybe the Tea Party itself did a poor job defining itself, but to me, the Libertarian party is where to go for true small government values, and the Tea Party is where to go for lip service, followed by a discussion of why the government has a vested interest in what happens in my girlfriend's uterus or my gay neighbors' bedroom.
    Each political party / group has their loud nut jobs that are not representative of the groups ideals as a whole. Tea Party is no different.

    But I think you hit the nail on the head about getting the message out. They don't do a very good job of it not do they distance themselves from the idiots who trade on their name.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  9. #204
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,526
    Pretty funny line from Twitter ...

    Millions of Republicans can now wake up and stop pretending they like Mitt Romney.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #205
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,921
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Pretty funny line from Twitter ...

    Millions of Republicans can now wake up and stop pretending they like Mitt Romney.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  11. #206
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,744

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Just heard a great point to the question, why did Romney lose?

    "Romney set out to win an election and not an argument"

    So true.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  12. #207
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,526
    Because of what I do for a living (when I am not ruining message boards) I hold certifications in deception detection, neurolinguistics and in body language.

    The press may be praising Mitt with his concession speech but I most certainly am not. When he said he will pray for Obama to be successful, he was seething underneath and completely disingenuous.

    Take a look at his face and head as he says that line. Hs mouth is smiling and but the eyes are "dead", meaning if you covered up his mouth and just looked as his face from the nose up, you would never be ale to figure out which emotion he was feeling. People smile and are genuine with their eyes first, mouth second. If he had one iota of sincerity there, you'd see it in his eyes.

    Furthermore, he turns his head down and to his right right after he says it. That's a very condescending move, kind of like when your boss gives you that warning but underneath is thinking what a dumb ass you are.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  13. #208
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,744

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Because of what I do for a living (when I am not ruining message boards) I hold certifications in deception detection, neurolinguistics and in body language.

    The press may be praising Mitt with his concession speech but I most certainly am not. When he said he will pray for Obama to be successful, he was seething underneath and completely disingenuous.

    Take a look at his face and head as he says that line. Hs mouth is smiling and but the eyes are "dead", meaning if you covered up his mouth and just looked as his face from the nose up, you would never be ale to figure out which emotion he was feeling. People smile and are genuine with their eyes first, mouth second. If he had one iota of sincerity there, you'd see it in his eyes.

    Furthermore, he turns his head down and to his right right after he says it. That's a very condescending move, kind of like when your boss gives you that warning but underneath is thinking what a dumb ass you are.
    So you're saying Mitt thinks Obama is a dumb ass?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  14. #209
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,526
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post

    So you're saying Mitt thinks Obama is a dumb ass?
    Not going to go that far, but, IMO, he definitely feels disdain for him.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  15. #210
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,744

    Re: Election Day 2012 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Not going to go that far, but, IMO, he definitely feels disdain for him.
    Can't blame him for the outright character assassination they did on him.

    But as you and I said in July, Mitt should have countered he ran the risk of being defined by Obama and he was...
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland