Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Blog Entries

Re: So what exactly has this organization/coaching staff done in order to improve this offense?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I don't see how the Bengals, Steelers, and the Cardinals, have a better receiving unit than us. The Bengals have AJ Green and that's it, the Steelers have probably the same as us, and the Cardinals only really have Fitzgerald. We don't have that one true elite receiver, but we have a number of quality receivers that overlap a lot of teams even if they have that one receiver who out matches all of our receivers as an individual player.

We are in the top 10 IMO talent wise, the scheme is just horrendous.
    Dude, really? I'd take the Steelers receiving corp in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    +1. Emanuel Sander would be our #2 possibly fighting for #1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Re: So what exactly has this organization/coaching staff done in order to improve this offense?

Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Heath Miller, Emmanuel Sanders

Torrey Smith, AnQuan Boldin, Dennis Pitta, Jacoby Jones

That IMO is pretty equal. Torrey Smith IMO has played just as well as Wallace has so far into the season.

Torrey Smith has been targeted 56 times this yearand has caught 51.6 % of those passes (many of them have been deep shots, with Flacco being off and quite a few of them), he has 4 drops so far on the year which is down from his rookie year. Smith has 503 yards on the year, 17.3 YPC, 138 yards after the catch, and 5 TD's

Mike Wallace has been targeted 62 times and has caught 62.9 % of those passes, but hasn't been targeted all that often deep down field, as Todd Hailey likes short passes more than Bruce Arians did while he was in Pittsburgh. Roethlisberger has also been very very accurate this year, even more so than recent years past. Wallace has 525 yards on the year, 13.5 YPC average, 201 yards after the catch, 5 TD's, a fumble.

It can be easily argued that Wallace benefits from a better passing scheme than what Torrey Smith has to work with, and the fact that he has a better QB throwing him the ball. I can get you the stats comparing Boldin to Antonio Brown, but I can tell you that they are pretty equal so far, with Boldin looking slightly statistically better. Jacoby Jones looks slightly worse than Sanders statistically, but has ZERO drops where as Sanders has 2 drops so far. Dennis Pitta has had a solid year (albeit being a little quiet through the last few games), and hasn't been as good as Heath Miller, but he isn't far off.

All in all I'd probably say Pittsburgh slightly edge us, but it's no where near the distance that you are implying. It is very possible that our receiving corp could look even better than the Steelers if we had Todd Hailey calling the plays, and Roethlisberger playing QB.

Blog Entries

All in all I'd probably say Pittsburgh slightly edge us, but it's no where near the distance that you are implying. It is very possible that our receiving corp could look even better than the Steelers if we had Todd Hailey calling the plays, and Roethlisberger playing QB.
    I'll give you that, but they are also victimized on the o-line struggles and running back injuries. They're wide receivers are as affected by that as we are by our shitty offensive coordinator.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    +1. Emanuel Sander would be our #2 possibly fighting for #1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    No he wouldn't. Both Boldin and Smith are just better than Sanders, I don't understand the under appreciation over Smith and especially Boldin, they have been very good this year, playing under a very restrictive and uncreative offensive system.

Blog Entries

I'll give you that, but they are also victimized on the o-line struggles and running back injuries. They're wide receivers are as affected by that as we are by our shitty offensive coordinator.
    Actually their Oline has been better than ours as a run blocking unit so far this year, in pass pro they are slightly below us, but not by that much. They don't have Ray Rice, but their running game has been more effective than ours this year because of the way Hailey runs his system.

Blog Entries

Actually their Oline has been better than ours as a run blocking unit so far this year, in pass pro they are slightly below us, but not by that much. They don't have Ray Rice, but their running game has been more effective than ours this year because of the way Hailey runs his system.
    According to this website that tracks O-line performance, we are #2 at run and 19th at pass. The Steelers are 22nd at the run and 21st at pass. So I say they do more with less.

LINK

Blog Entries

According to this website that tracks O-line performance, we are #2 at run and 19th at pass. The Steelers are 22nd at the run and 21st at pass. So I say they do more with less.

LINK
    Maybe I was wrong about the run blocking part of it, but recently it seems that Pittsburgh have done a better job running the ball than us. In pass pro I stand correctly that they are only just below us.

Blog Entries

Maybe I was wrong about the run blocking part of it, but recently it seems that Pittsburgh have done a better job running the ball than us. In pass pro I stand correctly that they are only just below us.
    I was shocked we were #2 at the run. I agree, as of late, the Steelers seem to run better. But they have had shit for an O-Line for years, even won a Super Bowl with one and a lot of that has to do with the receivers who can book and better offensive coordination and to some degree, raw talent from Ben on avoiding sacks.

If Joe could do a little better in pocket awareness and being elusive, it might hide more of the offense's shortcomings. Of course Cam would get the game ball from Harbaugh....

You're a steeler's fan. We've figured you out.

I was shocked we were #2 at the run. I agree, as of late, the Steelers seem to run better. But they have had shit for an O-Line for years, even won a Super Bowl with one and a lot of that has to do with the receivers who can book and better offensive coordination and to some degree, raw talent from Ben on avoiding sacks.

If Joe could do a little better in pocket awareness and being elusive, it might hide more of the offense's shortcomings. Of course Cam would get the game ball from Harbaugh....
    See, that's where everyone is wrong. Steelers are supposed to have a shit offensive line, but they run well and Ben has plenty of time. I get excited to hear about how bad their line is, then I watch their games and see otherwise.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    See, that's where everyone is wrong. Steelers are supposed to have a shit offensive line, but they run well and Ben has plenty of time. I get excited to hear about how bad their line is, then I watch their games and see otherwise.
    Their Oline has been decent at run blocking in the last few games, but they are still awful in pass pro, it's only because Jen is so good at avoiding sacks, and the fact that they mass protect and literally surround mr all pro Mike Adams with tight ends to help him out.

Jen never has "plenty of time" either, he is getting passes out a lot quicker this year with better designed schemes and a more dump off passing game than the Steelers have been used to running in the past, and when he doesn't have anyone to throw to, you can see that he is being chased down by at least 3 defenders.