Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ellerbe

Blog Entries

Re: Ellerbe

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
    I thought Ellerbe should have been playing next to Ray after his rookie break out. Until he showed up over weight and was sent to the dog house. McClain got some money, so they will keep him on the field, but I was never a fan of McClain. Now if they could just put Albert McClellin back inside next to Ellerbe I'd bet we see some better D. McClain just doesn't have the it factor to play ILB, swap him and Albert, he was a OLB originally anyway.
    Ellerbe is not great, but he is above average in my opinion and the guy makes plays, when is the last time you seen McClain in the back field making a tackle or covering a guy up to cause an incomplete pass.

EDIT:
    Additionally, we keep raving about Ray not playing well and he is getting old and this and that. What I never hear is what about the guy next to Ray. Is Ray getting old and slower sure but he still plays with heart and fire and plays better than 90% of ILB's not named Willis and Bowman who are in their prime.
    Ray always benefitted from a guy that play well next to him, did he make them shine more. Yes, because he always put them in position to make the plays. McClain doesn't stratch the surfice of a Bart Scott, Hartwell type. He is not physical enough and can be blocked easily and often disappears. As I recall Bart Scott, Hartwell, etc.. all made good plays and had to be accounted for. McClain is a non-factor. I know I'll catch heat for taking up for the old man, but McClain sucks. Just Saying..
    McClain actually seemed to be a fairly explosive pass rusher his rookie year. I remember he and Barnes had me quite excited in their limited playing time that year. What possessed the Ravens to move McClain when they had just drafted Gooden and Phillips in back to back seasons at ILB is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Ellerbe was the best Raven on either side of the ball. I never dreamed I'd write that.
    Everytime Ellerbe has been given a shot he completely shines. Hes a very good ILB and has been since we got him as a UDFA. I think he will be our next Bart Scott. If only Jameel could build off of his performance last season...

I the limited time he's seen I think he's been our best player on defence.

Just looking a pff stats here. He grades out as the second best ilb at rushing this year behind only Daryl Washington. He has 4 sack 3 hits and 5 hurries. Not bad for a man that was grossly overweight against New England in the playoffs. He is however giving up a 99 QB rating on pass coverage, giving up 24 of 35 targets his way.

In that regard he's been marginally better than Lewis who is just over 100.

The stats back up what I've seen with my eyes. He's been solid in the run, even better rushing the passer, but we still need someone who can cover.

With the new pussified NFL, at least one inside linebacker has to be able to cover and as much as I like Ellerbe in the run game and on the blitz, he is not good in overage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    With the new pussified NFL, at least one inside linebacker has to be able to cover and as much as I like Ellerbe in the run game and on the blitz, he is not good in overage.
    That's why you draft a CJ Mosley who can do exactly that. Ideally you could get Manti Teo who can do both at an elite level, but I doubt we'll be picking lower than 15.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    but still the best we have on this team outside possibly ayenbadejo. Despite wanting to focus on ST, i think its time he starts getting some reps in obvious passing downs.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Funny under chuck Ps defense not very many people was saying this, on the contrary people were like " where Ray get this fountain of youth" now under piss pees any LB would look like crap, pat willis would like shit under this asshole. Ellerbe is stepping up but cleveland isn't an offensive juggernaut and weeden who is a rookie sure as hell still managed to kill this defense with our corners playing 20yrds off the ball. I hope ellerbe improves, we still need better LBs but to say ellerbe and this defense is playing better without Ray thats just non sense, we got some QBs coming up here soon we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    but still the best we have on this team outside possibly ayenbadejo. Despite wanting to focus on ST, i think its time he starts getting some reps in obvious passing downs.
    Ayenbadejo has been tried before. For being so good on St's, he really isn't that good in space, and he gets pushed around a lot. Plus, he's no spring chicken either, he's 36 years old.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Funny under chuck Ps defense not very many people was saying this, on the contrary people were like " where Ray get this fountain of youth" now under piss pees any LB would look like crap, pat willis would like shit under this asshole. Ellerbe is stepping up but cleveland isn't an offensive juggernaut and weeden who is a rookie sure as hell still managed to kill this defense with our corners playing 20yrds off the ball. I hope ellerbe improves, we still need better LBs but to say ellerbe and this defense is playing better without Ray thats just non sense, we got some QBs coming up here soon we shall see.
    That's a hilarious comment, lol comon man this is game, lets not call people assholes for possibly not getting the best out of the players he has, which is debatable as it may just purely be the players regressing (not that I think that's the case, but we don't know for sure which one it is). Even if he was really as bad as some around here think, it's not fair to label someone an asshole.

Some of the LB's have looked bad because of the ineptitude of our Dline, that's more to blame than Dean Pees IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Take off the purple glasses dude. Ray is done. He is 37 after all.

11. Re: Ellerbe

Ellerbe has been really impressive. I didn't get to watch the Browns game due to Sandy, but it seemed like he played very well. I'm close to saying that he can be a starter for us for a long time, and I hope that we can find a way to retain him. McClain's contract wasn't real big or anything, but I'm thinking that even that deal was a waste. He's just not that special, more of a backup IMO. We definitely need to invest a high pick on an ILB that can team with Ellerbe. I'm also praying that Tyson gets more time.

On a side note, this coaching staff really makes it tough to win games with some of their decisions. Based off that, I'm already guessing a divisional playoff loss. It's way too predictable week in, week out. Don't have the coordinators or the personnel defensively to compete with Houston or NE or Denver for that matter. We will be matched by Pitt too and all those games will be tough dogfights, but it's tough to watch this team... It's the same old story and if getting to the playoffs is good enough for some of you, then I'm sure you enjoy it year in and year out, but to me, it's old. I'd like to actually win the SB for once. We need to get a lot better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lime in the Coconut View Post
    we cannot compete with the likes of NE
    What was the score earlier on in the year again against NE again?