Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ellerbe

Blog Entries

Ellerbe

Who would you guess picked up the most pressure for the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday? Terrell Suggs, Halot Ngata or Paul Kruger even? Well you’d be wrong on all accounts. It was actually Dannell Ellerbe (+4.5) and he did it by picking up a sack, two hits and two hurries on just seven pass rushes. That’s the kind of impact they need from Ellerbe in his new every down role. He added four more defensive stops and didn’t allow pass into his primary coverage all game. Two games as an every-down player, two positive grades.
    From https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...browns-week-9/

Blog Entries

Re: Ellerbe

he had a great game yesterday and made some key tackles

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Glad to see opinions finally turning around on the guy. Hes made the moves necessary and were finally seeing what hes capable of. Hard to say he hasnt been one of the few bright spots on defense and continues to get better with more experience.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Can I speak heresy?
    IMO we are a little better with Ellerbe in the than he who is out for the year (biceps)
    That is hard to say, we are losing years of veteran instinct experience, but at the very least we are better on the obvious passing downs.
    The rumble started a year or two ago in the forums that somebody should come out on passing downs, well, now the issue has been forced... it will bear watching as we go on, but yes, we have started seeing plays on long yardage situations and the obvious difference starting now to surface wears the name Ellerbe on his back ....
    now I'm not saying he is all-star or pro bowl, just saying we are liking, not complaining about what we see, maybe his home is inside not outside
    Like I said, may be heresy, and I'm not naming names, just watching and now publically wondering...
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Can I speak heresy?
    IMO we are a little better with Ellerbe in the than he who is out for the year (biceps)
    That is hard to say, we are losing years of veteran instinct experience, but at the very least we are better on the obvious passing downs.
    The rumble started a year or two ago in the forums that somebody should come out on passing downs, well, now the issue has been forced... it will bear watching as we go on, but yes, we have started seeing plays on long yardage situations and the obvious difference starting now to surface wears the name Ellerbe on his back ....
    now I'm not saying he is all-star or pro bowl, just saying we are liking, not complaining about what we see, maybe his home is inside not outside
    Like I said, may be heresy, and I'm not naming names, just watching and now publically wondering...
    I said this when Ray got hurt, and I got flamed to high heavens. I know we miss Ray's instincts, football IQ and leadership on the field, but his declining physical skills were starting to show. I mean he is 37 years old.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I said this when Ray got hurt, and I got flamed to high heavens. I know we miss Ray's instincts, football IQ and leadership on the field, but his declining physical skills were starting to show. I mean he is 37 years old.
    I really dont think theres anything wrong in saying the greatest of all time, isnt the same at 37.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I really dont think theres anything wrong in saying the greatest of all time, isnt the same at 37.
    Agreed.

I think all one needs to do is watch the KC game to understand this.

Ray got juked out of his shoes a couple of times and just didn't have the speed to take good angles anymore to track the ball carrier down.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Ellerbe was the best Raven on either side of the ball. I never dreamed I'd write that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I said this when Ray got hurt, and I got flamed to high heavens.
    Thats why I didn't mention names....
    I also wasn't starting a Auld Lang Syne thread for Ray, was merely adding to the OP that Ellerbe seems to be emerging and contributing in the middle, not as a stop-gap hold the fort, but as a very service-able starter.

The who replaced Brooks at third or Cal at short issues will wait for a later day :)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

He has improved, but his pass coverage is still going to have to get better, as they prepare to play some better QBs who won't miss the open crossing routes.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I thought Ellerbe should have been playing next to Ray after his rookie break out. Until he showed up over weight and was sent to the dog house. McClain got some money, so they will keep him on the field, but I was never a fan of McClain. Now if they could just put Albert McClellin back inside next to Ellerbe I'd bet we see some better D. McClain just doesn't have the it factor to play ILB, swap him and Albert, he was a OLB originally anyway.
    Ellerbe is not great, but he is above average in my opinion and the guy makes plays, when is the last time you seen McClain in the back field making a tackle or covering a guy up to cause an incomplete pass.

EDIT:
    Additionally, we keep raving about Ray not playing well and he is getting old and this and that. What I never hear is what about the guy next to Ray. Is Ray getting old and slower sure but he still plays with heart and fire and plays better than 90% of ILB's not named Willis and Bowman who are in their prime.
    Ray always benefitted from a guy that play well next to him, did he make them shine more. Yes, because he always put them in position to make the plays. McClain doesn't stratch the surfice of a Bart Scott, Hartwell type. He is not physical enough and can be blocked easily and often disappears. As I recall Bart Scott, Hartwell, etc.. all made good plays and had to be accounted for. McClain is a non-factor. I know I'll catch heat for taking up for the old man, but McClain sucks. Just Saying..
    Last edited by Sua Sponte; 11-06-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
    I thought Ellerbe should have been playing next to Ray after his rookie break out. Until he showed up over weight and was sent to the dog house. McClain got some money, so they will keep him on the field, but I was never a fan of McClain. Now if they could just put Albert McClellin back inside next to Ellerbe I'd bet we see some better D. McClain just doesn't have the it factor to play ILB, swap him and Albert, he was a OLB originally anyway.
    Ellerbe is not great, but he is above average in my opinion and the guy makes plays, when is the last time you seen McClain in the back field making a tackle or covering a guy up to cause an incomplete pass.

EDIT:
    Additionally, we keep raving about Ray not playing well and he is getting old and this and that. What I never hear is what about the guy next to Ray. Is Ray getting old and slower sure but he still plays with heart and fire and plays better than 90% of ILB's not named Willis and Bowman who are in their prime.
    Ray always benefitted from a guy that play well next to him, did he make them shine more. Yes, because he always put them in position to make the plays. McClain doesn't stratch the surfice of a Bart Scott, Hartwell type. He is not physical enough and can be blocked easily and often disappears. As I recall Bart Scott, Hartwell, etc.. all made good plays and had to be accounted for. McClain is a non-factor. I know I'll catch heat for taking up for the old man, but McClain sucks. Just Saying..
    Agree about McClain. I think McClellan and Ellerbe should be the two starting ILB's.