Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14
  1. #1

    Coaching Philosophy



    With half of the season being played, we can draw to the conclusion of our coaching philosophy. It seems to me that our coaches have a conservative outlook of the game. For the lack of better term, I meant that our game plans have been pretty much predictable, and they do not scare opponents. We are in this position, 6-2, largely because of the talents we have on the roster.

    Our head coach seems to be an aggressive guy, he takes calculated risks. However, his coaching staff--specifically the OC and DC-- does not reflect the head coach's personae. This what brings me to ask you, what exactly is our coaching philosophy?

    More to the point, we keep Cameron and we promote Pees. Additionally, we also hired and promoted Mattison to take the rein. The OC and DC should reflect the Head Coach's philosophy, which I am not sensing it.

    Yes, those guys probably buddy-buddy with John and/or his family. However, why cant we hire/promote someone like Pagano, who had the connection and aggressive mentality.




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern PA
    Posts
    4,968
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Coaching Philosophy

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    Yes, those guys probably buddy-buddy with John and/or his family. However, why cant we hire/promote someone like Pagano, who had the connection and aggressive mentality.
    Pagano was DC and was hired as HC of the Colts....are you asking whether Pagano should have been made head coach?




  3. #3

    Re: Coaching Philosophy





  4. #4

    Re: Coaching Philosophy

    You are wrong. The coach reflects the coaching style exactly.

    If we had a coach like Jim Harbaugh, I'd say you were right. The mere fact that this head coach hasn't exerted his will over the offense, hell last year he said he didn't even attend offensive meetings says enough.

    The Ravens window is closing hard and fast. It got within a dropped pass of the Super Bowl, largely on talent. Now if we had X's and O's that went along with that talent, we would have had a Lombardi under this coach. But getting to the playoffs has been enough around here. Citing luck, injury free has become a pass for not getting to the big dance.

    Never mind our game plans usually suck, we are out coached, and fail to make adjustments.

    Our teams failure to win it all is laid directly at the feet of John Harbaugh.




  5. #5

    Re: Coaching Philosophy

    Personally I dont think Harbs is aggressive. He talks about it in the media, but when are they truly aggressive? Don't see it too much.

    I've said it before, Harbs is a Bo Schembechler disciple like his dad (Cam too), and the coaches on his staff follow those principles. Fundamentally-sound, solid smashmouth football but nothing overly inventive or creative. Its a proven winning formula, but like Bo's Michigan teams in those big games, just a little too vanilla and falls short. As a fan, I hope I'm wrong.




  6. #6

    Re: Coaching Philosophy

    Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    Pagano was DC and was hired as HC of the Colts....are you asking whether Pagano should have been made head coach?
    I didn't mean to insulate that Pagano should be our head coach. I meant to ask why we haven't hired/promoted more of Pagano's kind. Coaches like Pagano fit the city's style like a glove.




  7. #7

    Re: Coaching Philosophy

    Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Personally I dont think Harbs is aggressive. He talks about it in the media, but when are they truly aggressive? Don't see it too much.

    I've said it before, Harbs is a Bo Schembechler disciple like his dad (Cam too), and the coaches on his staff follow those principles. Fundamentally-sound, solid smashmouth football but nothing overly inventive or creative. Its a proven winning formula, but like Bo's Michigan teams in those big games, just a little too vanilla and falls short. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    Well put. Never looked at it from that Michigan perspective, but it is eerily similar now.




  8. #8

    Re: Coaching Philosophy

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    You are wrong. The coach reflects the coaching style exactly.

    If we had a coach like Jim Harbaugh, I'd say you were right. The mere fact that this head coach hasn't exerted his will over the offense, hell last year he said he didn't even attend offensive meetings says enough.

    The Ravens window is closing hard and fast. It got within a dropped pass of the Super Bowl, largely on talent. Now if we had X's and O's that went along with that talent, we would have had a Lombardi under this coach. But getting to the playoffs has been enough around here. Citing luck, injury free has become a pass for not getting to the big dance.

    Never mind our game plans usually suck, we are out coached, and fail to make adjustments.

    Our teams failure to win it all is laid directly at the feet of John Harbaugh.
    Maybe John wasn't given much freedom in personnel decisions as we thought? This might sound strange, but I thought it was legitimate. Perhaps the front office wanted a more conservative coordinators? I don't know, I am just throwing out thoughts.

    Regardless, you raised a good point... Why hasnt the head coach exert his power over his subordinates when it comes to game planning or such.




  9. #9

    Re: Coaching Philosophy

    Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Personally I dont think Harbs is aggressive. He talks about it in the media, but when are they truly aggressive? Don't see it too much.

    I've said it before, Harbs is a Bo Schembechler disciple like his dad (Cam too), and the coaches on his staff follow those principles. Fundamentally-sound, solid smashmouth football but nothing overly inventive or creative. Its a proven winning formula, but like Bo's Michigan teams in those big games, just a little too vanilla and falls short. As a fan, I hope I'm wrong.

    Interesting point, but didn't Jim play at Michigan? Perhaps Jim is just different?




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,936
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Coaching Philosophy

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    I didn't mean to insulate that Pagano should be our head coach. I meant to ask why we haven't hired/promoted more of Pagano's kind. Coaches like Pagano fit the city's style like a glove.
    Problem is that they (guys like Pagano) don't grow on trees. Many HCs promote from within because they're comfortable, and have a history with, their underlings... Bc




  11. #11

    Re: Coaching Philosophy

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    Interesting point, but didn't Jim play at Michigan? Perhaps Jim is just different?
    Jim is freaking CRAZY. You can see it in his eyes. John is conservative and mild mannered. Jim did play for U of M.. He always looked pissed back then. I wish we could switch.




  12. #12

    Re: Coaching Philosophy

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    Interesting point, but didn't Jim play at Michigan? Perhaps Jim is just different?
    Jim runs a Big Ten Michigan-like Ball Control Offense. Nothing extremely creative... just beats you in the trenches and smashes you in the mouth. Nothing exotic at all in the passing game. Watching that last game against Cards, Alex Smith threw no pass over 10yds. Yes it was very effective, but I just question it against a great team in playoffs. What happens when the 49ers get behind? Sure its rare with their defense being so great, but it happens. Look what happened in the Vikings-49ers game earlier this year when they got behind. The 49ers and Jim's Offense were sunk.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland