Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: Props to Dean Pees

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    And I think this is part of what we are seeing on both sides.
    It is about scheme. It is about play design on both sides of the ball.
    Rex believed that when you bring pressure, you first disguise what you are doing, so the offensive line calls the wrong blocking assignments...then you overload a specific area with more rushers than blockers, bring 4 against 3 blockers.
    For an offensive line, either an offside linemen wheels and runs over to the opposite side to help block in less than 3 seconds or the QB has to hurry the throw.
    And this helps on the back end by making QBs throw before their receivers are even aware the ball is already headed their way or the throw is off the mark, leading to many incompletes and some turnovers.
    Do the most with what you have. Create mismatches, either with talent or by sheer numbers.
    And stunts should be included in there.
    Teams are doing it against us and it is working.
    LEARN and ADAPT!

And least someone noticed since our pressure isn't getting there enough, lets jump up and bat some balls away.
    As much as Pees is bothering me too, he is trying to adapt.
    He has the defense doing more things and he moved upstairs to see what is ACTUALLY happening with his own eyes.
    MAYBE he is learning. The time to really perform/adapt is coming up on Sunday.
    Learn and adapt? Sounds more like a day late a dollar short. Pees in no rookie DC, he's been around the barn plus a year under Pagano. Was this guy asleep during game planning? The key to Ravens successful D ball has always been naked aggression yields good results. If we wanted to see bend but don't break, we should have retained Gregg Mattison. Pees' moving upstairs means nothing other than he gets a better view of his soft schemes.

Re: Dean Pees -- Props or Blame?

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    You do realize that most HC's hire guys they've coached with before or have some connection to, right?

And, what does Harbaugh's family have to do with it?
    So that makes It all right to hire a coach with a " soft " reputation AOK because of a previous relationship with that coach and not because of his competence................?

When I first started this post it read "Props to Dean Pees" not "Props or Blame?" maybe the mod who changed it on me should change it back?
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    When I first started this post it read "Props to Dean Pees" not "Props or Blame?" maybe the mod who changed it on me should change it back?
    You mean they changed YOUR OPINION?

Not bad for a RUNNING BACK!!! Now that is funny.
    #FIREROMAN

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    You mean they changed YOUR OPINION?
    Although my opinion was not changed it made it seem like I was asking a question when I was stating a fact. It was a little over the top I thought....but I let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by rastaman831226 View Post
    So that makes It all right to hire a coach with a " soft " reputation AOK because of a previous relationship with that coach and not because of his competence................?
    Hmm, didn't say that. You, derogatorially, said he was another "Harbaugh family plan hire". I was just asking what he had to do with Harbaugh's family and why having a previous association with the HC was considered a problem?!?!?!?

Also, if you check Pees record as a DC, it's pretty good - despite what some NE fans may say - so he's certainly proven to be at least "competent". In fact, NE's D since he left has taken a total nose-dive.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 11-20-2012 at 05:13 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    The criticism of Mattison then was idiotic, and it's not made better by age. Mattison had to contend with a weak secondary, and if we'd blitzed like the idiocracy of Baltimore fandom wanted, we would have given up 50+ points per game. We had Frank Freakin' Walker and Fabian Freakin' Washington behind the pass rush. We still ended up with top 10 defenses.

While we thought the secondary was going to be a strength coming into the season, it hasn't been. Losing Webb has significantly weakened it. I don't know why we don't press more with Williams and Smith, but that might be because the coaches are seeing something in practice that we, the fans, don't. I rather suspect it is.

Yesterday a two-man rush got to Palmer in the red zone. Last year, that hated three-man rush created a sack and a hurry in the red zone against the Bengals that sealed the game. Blitzing creates weaknesses in the secondary. You can't blitz every down.
    Last time I checked Domonique Foxworth played very well for the 2009 team. Chris Carr and Josh Wilson played CB for the 2010 team, and both played well. Fabian Washington wasn't a terrible cover corner. Frank Walker wasn't even on the team in 2010 and played a backup role in 2009. We still had a HOF named Ed Reed in the secondary as well. So yea, terrible secondary there. So terrible probably 28 other teams would have traded theirs for it.

The 3 man rush you mentioned in the Bengals game I remember, the RB missed his blocking assignment. Under Pagano we showed blitz a lot but then backed off. This was effective since we blitzed a lot and it kept teams guessing. We don't do anything on defense now that has any offense guessing. There are no fancy blitz packages. The classic Ravens defense is on life support, until Rex gets fired and comes back (wishful thinking on my part).

Blog Entries

Has it struck anyone else that the D's improved play over the last couple of weeks coincides with Pees coaching from upstairs during the games? It may be that for him, being able to dial up personnel packages & defenses from a view of the whole field more than outweighs not being able to talk directly with the players while they're on the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Has it struck anyone else that the D's improved play over the last couple of weeks coincides with Pees coaching from upstairs during the games? It may be that for him, being able to dial up personnel packages & defenses from a view of the whole field more than outweighs not being able to talk directly with the players while they're on the sidelines.
    Yes, I agree with that.....the players have to motivate themselves anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I noticed after the bye week more aggressiveness. We blitzed in the first quarter against Cleveland, something we rarely if ever did during the first half of the season. But I agree Pees being up top has seemed to coincide with an overall improvement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Yes, I agree with that.....the players have to motivate themselves anyway.
    I don't think it's the ability to motivate that's lost (how much there is to be lost is arguable--Pees is their granpas' age) so much as being able to hear directly from the players what they see happening & what they think they can do in response. With Pees upstairs that probably ends up filtered through the position coaches on the sidelines.

Now watch there be an "accidental" communications malfunction at Qualcomm Sunday afternoon....

I think it also has a lot to do with Suggs return too.

They weren't blitzing much earlier, but they weren't getting to the QB, even with blitzes, so they decided to try and play more cover defense. Now, with Suggs back, I think they feel that they can be more aggressive and because teams have to account for Suggs - which they didn't with anyone else when Suggs wasn't play - it allows the blitzes to be a little more successful too.

Kruger, as your primary rusher, isn't going to do much. Kruger, with Suggs drawing the attention, can/will be a much more successful pass rusher.

Now, if we can get McPhee back up to speed and healthy.....
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap