Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 109 to 120 of 120
  1. #109

    Re: Steelers taking it to the Giants



    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Who ever heard of a 50 yr old coach regressing?
    Trying to be somewhat objective here, but rather than constantly blame Cam for a lot of the offensive ineptitude we have seen, shouldn't Flacco shoulder a lot of the blame for not following though more on his progressions, for example - he seems to 'lock in' on his receivers a lot; try making plays out of nothing - Ben improvises more often than not, and is quite successful....just wondering? Also, it irks me that he does not spend time studying the opposing team's alignments and stratedy during times when he is not on the field; I notice many of the 'elite' QBs do this all of the time. It might also help if Joe showed some 'fire' on the field - it seems like both our O (and D) play without any apparent emotion, except, of course, when they are getting flagged for many of their 'after play' shenanigans. Sorry for making this a bash Flacco post.
    Last edited by ravenjoe; 11-05-2012 at 12:44 AM.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton




  2. Re: Steelers taking it to the Giants

    Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Trying to be somewhat objective here, but rather than constantly blame Cam for a lot of the offensive ineptitude we have seen, shouldn't Flacco shoulder a lot of the blame for not following though more on his progressions, for example, and/or trying to make some plays out of nothing, much like the 'elite' QBs do....just wondering? Also, it irks me that he does not spend time studying the opposing team's alignments and stratedy during times when he is not on the field; I notice many of the 'elite' QBs do this all of the time. It might also help if Joe showed some 'fire' on occasion - it seems like both our O (and D) play without any apparent emotion, except, of course, when they are getting flagged for many of their 'after play' shenanigans. Sorry for making this a bash Flacco post.
    Flacco unfortunately doesn't have the footspeed to get outside the tackles when the pass rush has already started to close in. He can do it, if he's already in the shotgun, or when it's a designed rollout, which begs the question, why isn't Cam & Harbs using designed rollouts this season? They worked against the Pats in the AFC championship game.

    And Joe can't go through his progressions when his receivers are running patterns that take 4+ seconds and the pass protection breaks down in less than 4 seconds.

    I agree with you that it doesn't seem that Joe is involved enough on the sidelines, but that begs the question, why isn't the coaching staff taking the initiative and getting him involved?

    As for Flacco's demeanor, we have seen him fired up when the team is winning, or within striking distance, but when everything is going wrong, especially with the offense, Flacco just stoically resigns himself to what seems to be the inevitable. But Flacco's not the only one--pretty much the entire offense reacts this way. So, that brings up the question: Could it be the players know that if the gameplan's not working, then adjustments are probably not going to made in time to make a difference, so why should they bother to keep fighting the inevitable? How much faith do the offensive players have in Cam? You'd hear the players praising Pagano, but you never hear anyone praise Cam...other than Harbaugh.




  3. #111
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,223
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Steelers taking it to the Giants

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm not saying Cruz and Torrey are the same.

    I just wish Cam would use Torrey like the Giants use Cruz. Cruz has vertical speed, but they run him on a lot of short routes and underneath stuff to let him use his athleticism and ability to break tackles in order to pick up YAC. I think Torrey could be pretty effective doing that type of stuff along with going over the top.
    Like he did for the TD last night? I agree, With an athlete of Torrey's caliber you want to get him the ball in space and let him make plays. Sadly Cam seems to think that entails end arounds and passes behind the line of scrimmage.




  4. #112

    Re: Steelers taking it to the Giants

    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Flacco unfortunately doesn't have the footspeed to get outside the tackles when the pass rush has already started to close in. He can do it, if he's already in the shotgun, or when it's a designed rollout, which begs the question, why isn't Cam & Harbs using designed rollouts this season? They worked against the Pats in the AFC championship game.

    And Joe can't go through his progressions when his receivers are running patterns that take 4+ seconds and the pass protection breaks down in less than 4 seconds.

    I agree with you that it doesn't seem that Joe is involved enough on the sidelines, but that begs the question, why isn't the coaching staff taking the initiative and getting him involved?

    As for Flacco's demeanor, we have seen him fired up when the team is winning, or within striking distance, but when everything is going wrong, especially with the offense, Flacco just stoically resigns himself to what seems to be the inevitable. But Flacco's not the only one--pretty much the entire offense reacts this way. So, that brings up the question: Could it be the players know that if the gameplan's not working, then adjustments are probably not going to made in time to make a difference, so why should they bother to keep fighting the inevitable? How much faith do the offensive players have in Cam? You'd hear the players praising Pagano, but you never hear anyone praise Cam...other than Harbaugh.
    This last paragraph is what I saw during the Houston game. Does the offense have an issue with Cam and possibly Flacco considering they may have a problem agreeing on the call playing.Is Flacco becoming to big for his britches, meaning that his ego is pissing off Cam and other players on the offense. Possibly because of his contract that needs to be done.




  5. #113
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,317
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Steelers taking it to the Giants

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Eli had his first bad game for like a year, Flacco has had quite a few bad games this year. Lets just face facts here, Eli is simply better. You can bring in the talent issue, but are they really more talented than us on offense?

    I'll give you Cruz (who was an undrafted player need I remind you). But at this point Nicks is probably only slightly better than Boldin, and we have Ray Rice and Vonta Leach. The Giants have Bradshaw, who is very solid, but he isn't Ray Rice.

    Eli had a bad game last week too @Dallas. Yes, at one point the score was 23-0 but those were off of Dallas' turnovers and a bazillion field goals.

    Eli's QBR in that game? A glowing 48.2. That's not his only bad game either. He stunk it up in his first game against Philly and Dallas.
    Last edited by Jay D83; 11-05-2012 at 07:19 AM.




  6. #114

    Re: Steelers taking it to the Giants

    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Well the Giants really fell apart in this game, but I gotta say the Steelers defense is pretty damn good.
    The Steelers defense figured out the Giants especially in the second half. The key to them playing well has been their defensive line imo. The old veterans (Hampton and Keisel) are holding up which is what the Ravens guys aren't doing.

    The Steelers have played well the last four games but have also had a bit of luck (see the Eagles game) like the Ravens. At this point they have no more than maybe two more losses in them. The Ravens simply have to either keep pace or sweep them. They have really only have two true road games left because the Slurs game in going to be an M&T South reunion and Cincy is hopefully going to be ready to go home and Marvin probably moving on.

    We'll see.




  7. #115
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Steelers taking it to the Giants

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay D83 View Post
    Eli had a bad game last week too @Dallas. Yes, at one point the score was 23-0 but those were off of Dallas' turnovers and a bazillion field goals.

    Eli's QBR in that game? A glowing 48.2. That's not his only bad game either. He stunk it up in his first game against Philly and Dallas.

    When you win 2 Super Bowls you're going to get a pass for some bad games.

    It was very interesting watching the Falcons last night because lack of respect for the team and Ryan was the theme. At the start of the game Tony Gonzales said that the Falcons need to win in the playoffs and go to the Super Bowl before they've accomplished anything. At the end of the game Ryan said that 8-0 doesn't mean they've earned any respect. Eli and Ben have had more than their fair share of bad games over the years but those Super Bowls wins make their perception very different from that of Ryan and Flacco.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  8. #116
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,317
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Steelers taking it to the Giants

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    When you win 2 Super Bowls you're going to get a pass for some bad games.

    It was very interesting watching the Falcons last night because lack of respect for the team and Ryan was the theme. At the start of the game Tony Gonzales said that the Falcons need to win in the playoffs and go to the Super Bowl before they've accomplished anything. At the end of the game Ryan said that 8-0 doesn't mean they've earned any respect. Eli and Ben have had more than their fair share of bad games over the years but those Super Bowls wins make their perception very different from that of Ryan and Flacco.
    Everything that you said, I agree with/already know. I was just responding to the guy that said yesterday was Eli's first bad game this season - which is not true.




  9. #117
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern PA
    Posts
    4,968
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Steelers taking it to the Giants

    Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    But you have to put your team in the position to capitalize on it, too. Flacco is currently too inconsistent to say he's "Eli without the luck". Pre 2008 Eli maybe.
    This is what I'd call a lack of "luck".



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0fpONkw6yk

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIH-GrnnPVM

    If any of those plays goes they way they should have, we're probably having a much different argument and could be talking about at least ONE Super Bowl win for Joe Flacco. Thats what I'm talking about. Eli is a great QB but just like Joe he craps the bed a few games a year.




  10. #118
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    3,959

    Re: Steelers taking it to the Giants

    Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    This is what I'd call a lack of "luck".



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0fpONkw6yk

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIH-GrnnPVM

    If any of those plays goes they way they should have, we're probably having a much different argument and could be talking about at least ONE Super Bowl win for Joe Flacco. Thats what I'm talking about. Eli is a great QB but just like Joe he craps the bed a few games a year.

    You may be right, but unfortunately we'll never know. We're operating in reality, and all you can give me is woulda coulda shoulda. Eli has 2 rings, so he gets a pass like someone posted earlier. I'm a fan and I want to see Flacco do well, but he and Eli are not one and the same, despite Flacco being let down on occasion by his team.




  11. #119
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern PA
    Posts
    4,968
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Steelers taking it to the Giants

    Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    You may be right, but unfortunately we'll never know. We're operating in reality, and all you can give me is woulda coulda shoulda.
    Thanks for making my point! We truly don't know because Joe has never been given the chance by the "unlucky" play of his receivers. I'm not guaranteeing Flacco wins a SB either if he were to get there either, BTW.




  12. #120
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    15,419
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Steelers taking it to the Giants

    That's the way it goes sometimes. Eli got the win in Dallas last week when Dez was an 'out of bounds finger' away from the win. They wouldve carried Romo off the field, banged their chest about beating the world champs, but it didn't happen.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland