Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: My Own Good, Bad, and the Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I can't believe how you are so against being a run first team when we got destroyed by the Texas two weeks ago by running a completely one dimensional offense passing the ball, then go in to this game winning it when we ran the ball a bunch of times.

I think this is far from a coincidence, the defense benefits from staying off the field for longer periods of time, and we run more clock in the process. It's obvious to me that we should now be a run first team down the stretch and into the play offs if we make it there, because if we go back into that no huddle crap on the road, we are going to get torn apart in the likes of Heinz Field.
    I'm not going to rehash the same argument with you, but today this team had a lot of success running the football for 15 minutes. Then the Browns adjusted, starting run blitzing and playing 9 man boxes, and simply took Ray Rice and the run game away. We don't have the defense to play run-run-pass-punt anymore and we don't have an OL that consistently wins at the LOS.

The Ravens never adjusted, lost the lead, and almost lost the game until they finally got some BALANCE passing the football on the last drive. Isn't this supposed to be what it's all about--BALANCE? It just seems like it's either pass-crazy or run-crazy--and other teams have a tendency to figure either one out and take it away.

I'm not calling for a pass-crazy offense, only a SMART offense that takes what's there instead of being obsessed with sticking to the same plays whether they fail or succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I don't think we're talking about the same thing. People--including the poster I was responding to as well as media talking heads--CONSTANTLY harp on this stat: "When Ray Rice gets 25 or more carries, the Ravens are 25-0" or some nonsense like that--not sure of the exact numbers.

The implication is that when Ray Rice runs the ball a lot, it causes the Ravens to win. That's nonsense. Always has been, always will be. Running the ball a certain number of times doesn't cause you to win.

Of course the offense needs balance! No sane person thinks that this team is better off (outside of very select personnel packages) with Ray Rice off the field, unless he's taking a breather. He ought to be on the field and he ought to get his work.

But under NO circumstances should we evaluate a game as an effort to get Ray Rice to X number of carries because that causes a win. It doesn't, and case in point this past game--WAY too many 1st and 2nd down runs for a yard or less after the first quarter, and those negative plays really imperiled this team today. The Browns were taking those plays away, and they should have adjusted, preferably by working the short and intermediate passing game outside the box.
    Yeah, you're reading too much into it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I'm not going to rehash the same argument with you, but today this team had a lot of success running the football for 15 minutes. Then the Browns adjusted, starting run blitzing and playing 9 man boxes, and simply took Ray Rice and the run game away. We don't have the defense to play run-run-pass-punt anymore and we don't have an OL that consistently wins at the LOS.

The Ravens never adjusted, lost the lead, and almost lost the game until they finally got some BALANCE passing the football on the last drive. Isn't this supposed to be what it's all about--BALANCE? It just seems like it's either pass-crazy or run-crazy--and other teams have a tendency to figure either one out and take it away.

I'm not calling for a pass-crazy offense, only a SMART offense that takes what's there instead of being obsessed with sticking to the same plays whether they fail or succeed.
    There needs to be more balance for sure, I can't argue with that, but we did win the game today, and our defense were giving up FG's and not TD's which is a good sign given how long they spent on the field at times.

I happened to agree with bmorecareful...

I thought his point was that the statistics bears no correlation with the actual outcome of the game. His point about rushing when winning may attribute to the a general accepted notion that teams do run the ball a lot more when they are winning. Thus, that may explain his comment. I didn't think he was suggesting that Ray Rice should run less or whatsoever, but merely that fact that we shouldn't throw out those correlations liberally.

That reminds me of an argument I had with a friend earlier. He claimed that Mitt Romney will win the presidency because of the so called Redskins Rule. Basically, when the Redskins lose a home home prior to the election, the challenging party will assume the White House. His argument? It has been proven true since 1940. I pointed out to him that the Redskins did win prior to the 2000 election, and the Democratic party still lost the White House bid; he claimed that it was an anomaly.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

How can you not to? It is rather annoying when those commentators always find a statistic information to exaggerate something. That exaggeration enters mainstream conversation, which implies that there is actually some (be it valid) causal relationship between two variables.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    How can you not to? It is rather annoying when those commentators always find a statistic information to exaggerate something. That exaggeration enters mainstream conversation, which implies that there is actually some (be it valid) causal relationship between two variables.
    I agree.

But read back at my earlier post. Nobody here has ever used that stat as anything but a correlation.

They HAVE used that stat to show that when we have a balanced attack, it shows fruit, usually a win.

The good:

We won by 10 on the road against a divisional opponent who has been playing very tough all year long.

The start. Run game, pass game, everything was clicking in the first quarter.

Nice come from behind drive from Joe.

The defense played much better than it has in weeks.

The Bad:

Cam Cameron. After the second and third quarters, I have officially jumped on the "Fire Cam" bandwagon. He needs to go. The offensive schemes are terrible. There is no deception AT ALL. That is why there is no separation for receivers. That is why the entire defense converges on Ray Rice as soon as he gets the ball. I realize this can't take place really during the season, but at the end, unless we go deep in the playoffs, he's gotta go. It's not fair to the fans anymore.

Carey Williams. Yeah, I know he had an interception, but he also looked freaking lost and lazy on a number of plays.

Penalties. This team is dumberer and dumbest. Totally undisciplined.

THE GOOD: Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce ran the ball effectively against a defense hell bent on stopping them, combining for 124 yards on 32 rugged carries. The tandem showed that they can be a very good 1-2 punch with Pierce showing steady development despite a less than productive training camp…Speaking of 1-2 punches, Torrey Smith and Anquan Boldin, while not posting prolific stats, certainly delivered during crunch time…Joe Flacco, despite struggling mightily through the second and third quarters, engineered a very efficient game winning drive capped by a great audible on the 2 point conversion that led to an easy toss for two to Boldin…Bobbie Williams rebounded nicely from an extremely sub-par game in Houston…Cam Cameron’s play calling on the opening two possessions was surprisingly surgical and exactly what the team needed coming off very poor performances away from M&T Bank Stadium.

Jimmy Smith, while still a bit raw, showed progress in Cleveland…Corey Graham was fast to the ball and was productive as the nickel defending the pass and doing his part to boost a shockingly inept pass rush…Dannell Ellerbe was the most efficient tackler on the field yesterday and provides a physical presence severely lacking from the LB corps…Courtney Upshaw continues on the upswing in his game.

THE BAD: The tackling was weak at times, particularly in the secondary with Ed Reed too often the culprit. Jimmy Smith needs to wrap up better too…Cary Williams, his interception aside, still looks lost in coverage. He wasn’t even in the same zip code on a post corner route by Josh Gordon. He was also very fortunate that the Browns had an illegal formation penalty that negated a TD pass to Gordon, another play on which Williams was torched…Sam Koch’s net punting average of 34.1 yards was disappointing.

THE UGLY: The offensive play calling from the 8:00 mark of the second quarter through the 9-minute mark of the fourth quarter was horrific. During 8 possessions the Ravens ran only 22 plays for a net of 8 yards! That accounted for only 8:59 of a possible 29:13. Granted one of the possessions was a kneel-down from Flacco to end the first half, but this equates to 7 competitive possessions without a single first down. The Browns sold out on the run and Cameron failed to use that overly aggressive run defense against Cleveland through play action…The Ravens pass rush was anemic and it is extremely worrisome what signal callers named Palmer, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Manning, Manning and even RGIII might do to the Ravens when seemingly the “pass rushers” count to 7-Mississippi before rushing the quarterback…The team amassed 9 penalties for 82 yards, continuing their extremely undisciplined play. However, it’s tough for head coach John Harbaugh to ask his team to play with discipline when his behavior on the sidelines is anything but. Harbs picked up his second bench unsportsmanlike conduct of the season.

SIDE BAR: This is just a question and not a criticism, but I’d like to know why Ray Lewis isn’t on the Ravens’ sideline?

THE MEGAN FOX: This was a tough call in that there really was no player who stood out as the player of the game. But given the Ravens return to their roots of a running game; given that the Browns knew such a rebirth might be attempted and invested defensive resources to thwart the effort, the Ravens still managed 124 tough yards on the ground even within the constraints of a completely vanilla game plan for nearly two full quarters. To get that done, the Ravens relied heavily on the battering ram that wears No. 44. Great game Vonta Leach.

LINK
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I don't think he is. There have been some comments on here by some posters, that make it clear, that they feel Joe Flacco and the passing offense just can't cut it on the road and that they should just scrap trying to utilize it significantly. Leach, in particular, believes that Rice can run the Ravens to the Super Bowl.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    There needs to be more balance for sure, I can't argue with that, but we did win the game today, and our defense were giving up FG's and not TD's which is a good sign given how long they spent on the field at times.
    I think you are confusing time on the field with suck QB.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore