Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Did the Ravens make a mistake by not going after Bruce Arians?

I think you've got a point Wicked, i never understood the crap he took in Pittsburgh, i think he's a quality offensive mind.

At this point there are VERY few coordinators I wouldn't take over Cam, if any. I think we'd even be better with Joe calling 100% of the plays at the LOS every snap.
    Last edited by bmorecareful; 11-04-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    They can disagree, and they probably know way more about the Steelers than I do.

But they never really had a consistent RB since Jerome. Mendenhall could be good at times, but he has never really been great. The Steelers never really installed a dangerous ground game in the last few years of Arians' tenure, and most of it was because of the personnel they had, piss poor Oline, and average backs to work with.
    Probably?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'd rather have Bruce Arians' offense over Cam's offense at this point.
    That's fair.

I'm just saying pointing to a guy that was run out of town in another city isn't really saying much other than most of us would rather have anyone than Cam. Anyone.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

:DeadHorse:

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'd rather have Bruce Arians' offense over Cam's offense at this point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    :DeadHorse:
    Oh hi, didn't you say that Cleveland were going to win for sure a few days back?

Blog Entries

Pittsburgh fans' problem with Arians was that he was stuck in one mode as well. When their offense struggled, he struggled to get them out of a rut. The fan issues with the two coordinators in question are rather parallel.

The one difference that I will note is that Arians had a much better relationship with Ben Roethlisberger, than Joe Flacco has with Cam Cameron. This is part of the reason why Roethlisberger was so upset with Todd Haley being the replacement. In Pittsburgh, Arians was seen as a 'Yes-man' of sorts, to Ben Roethlisberger. If Ben didn't want them to run a play, it was not run.

So, I will say that Arians probably would have given Joe more of a leash, earlier on. However, he had the same issues with the lack of adjustment that the Ravens have and it's easy for people to forget that the Steelers, in recent years, have won many of their games in similar fashion to the Ravens. Their offense struggled to put up points. Their defense kept them in games. If it was a one score game with three minutes or less on the clock, Ben could win it.

To be honest, they threw it, because Ben wanted to throw it and Arians didn't do much to stand against that philosophy. Mike Tomlin, who is similar to John Harbaugh in this regard, trusts his coordinators and is more hands off with the offense and defense.

So, I don't think that Arians would have been an upgrade in that regard.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 11-04-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I don't think so. Pitt fans wanted him gone as bad as most of this board wants Cam gone, it wasn't like he was a hot commodity. And do you think the Ravens can win with Flacco throwing 50 times a game like Luck? Just a couple thoughtst...
    I have to disagree with you on the Pitt Fans screaming for Arians head. Some waned him gone but not to the degree I see as far as Ravens fans calling out Cam. I do agree that Flacco may not be best suited to throw 40+ per game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Pittsburgh fans' problems with Arians is that he was stuck in one mode as well. When their offense struggled, he struggled to get them out of a rut. The fan issues with the two coordinators in question are rather parallel.

The one difference that I will note is that Arians had a much better relationship with Ben Roethlisberger, than Joe Flacco has with Cam Cameron. This is part of the reason why Roethlisberger was so upset with Todd Haley being the replacement. In Pittsburgh, Arians was seen as a 'Yes-man' of sorts, to Ben Roethlisberger. If Ben didn't want them to run a play, it was not run.

So, I will say that Arians probably would have given Joe more of a leash, earlier on. However, he had the same issues with the lack of adjustment that the Ravens have and it's easy for people to forget that the Steelers, in recent years, have won many of their games in similar fashion to the Ravens. Their offense struggled to put up points. Their defense kept them in games. If it was a one score game with three minutes or less on the clock, Ben could win it.

To be honest, they threw it, because Ben wanted to throw it and Arians didn't do much to stand against that philosophy. Mike Tomlin, who is similar to John Harbaugh in this regard, trusts his coordinators and is more hands off with the offense and defense.

I agree that Arians had major problems with in-game adjustments, but I think he would still be an upgrade over Cam simply in that Arians actually had a fully developed, modern playbook that used the entire route tree with a number of different play concepts.

Cam's playbook is missing huge sections of the modern NFL passing system--entire route concepts that simply aren't there. Any OC that uses a complete NFL playbook is an upgrade over Cam.

Blog Entries

Deciding to keep Cam was the big mistake. Getting rid of him is step 1

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Pittsburgh fans' problems with Arians is that he was stuck in one mode as well. When their offense struggled, he struggled to get them out of a rut. The fan issues with the two coordinators in question are rather parallel.

That is very true. Ben and Bruce had as good of a relationship as a QB and OC can have while Joe and Cam have a very cold relationship obviously.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Arians has one huge advantage going for him: he is NOT Cam.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree that Arians had major problems with in-game adjustments, but I think he would still be an upgrade over Cam simply in that Arians actually had a fully developed, modern playbook that used the entire route tree with a number of different play concepts.

Cam's playbook is missing huge sections of the modern NFL passing system--entire route concepts that simply aren't there. Any OC that uses a complete NFL playbook is an upgrade over Cam.
    I can roll with that. Whenever we see modern tactics in our passing offense, it's so rare that we refer to it as creativity. In reality, it's only what the vast majority of current teams run.

It's not so much the system that is behind the times. Detroit passed for over 5,000 yards out of a Coryell based system, if I am not mistaken, and their rush offense was subpar. Cameron's running of the system is behind the times.

He seems like a true extension of Marty Schottenheimer, which shouldn't surprise anyone.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore