Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Did the Ravens make a mistake by not going after Bruce Arians?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Deciding to keep Cam was the big mistake. Getting rid of him is step 1
    Addition by subtraction.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

John Harbaugh is directly responsible for hiring and keeping Cam.

How come he doesn't get heat from those who constantly blame Cameron for everything?

PP

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post

How come he doesn't get heat from those who constantly blame Cameron for everything?

PP
    because everything is Cam's fault except the fact that they keep winning

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

PP
    John Harbaugh should shoulder some of the blame, but the effect is not as strong for a few reasons. Cam Cameron was going to be brought in as the offensive coordinator, whether John Harbaugh was hired or not. You also have to keep in mind that the front office has supported the idea of winning with high quality defense and running the football. Steve Bisciotti himself has made comments that support that idea.

Besides, although it was clear that the front office looked for a replacement, it's not Harbaugh's fault that they didn't find one.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    John Harbaugh should shoulder some of the blame, but the effect is not as strong for a few reasons. Cam Cameron was going to be brought in as the offensive coordinator, whether John Harbaugh was hired or not. You also have to keep in mind that the front office has supported the idea of winning with high quality defense and running the football. Steve Bisciotti himself has made comments that support that idea.

Besides, although it was clear that the front office looked for a replacement, it's not Harbaugh's fault that they didn't find one.
    Actually, Billick was planning to talking to Cameron about becoming the OC.

Harbaugh has strong ties to Cameron.

That was happenstance.

If the Ravens hired Jason Garrett or someone else, Cam Cameron wasn't gonna be the OC.

I dunno why you think Cameron was coming here no matter what because that's not the case.

Steve Bisciotti wants to win. If you think he cares how they win, that's your perogative.

What's clear is that Cameron is VERY tight with Harbaugh.

It's not Harbaugh's fault they didn't find a new OC? Please. Do you think they actually Harbaugh even made a phone call to potential replacements?

Not his fault......

Okey Doke.

BTW, I think Cameron is part of the problem, but not nearly as big a part as most do around here.

PP

Blog Entries

PP
    I think that he certainly deserves some heat.

That said, I don't think he was directly responsible for hiring and/or keeping Cam. As Ex pointed out, Cam was likely on his way to Baltimore to interview for OC regardless of who they brought on to be the head coach. Secondly, Ozzie and Bisciotti should get some heat as well. They are above Harbaugh in the organization and if Ozzie and/or Bisciotti didn't want to try and find someone else then they clearly must have felt that Cam was better than any of the options out there.

If this offense doesn't get exponentially better by the end of the season, then I can't see Cam NOT on the chopping block. If the "word" is coming down from above Harbs, then it won't matter if he isn't on board with it or not.

Mike Tomlin wasn't on board with letting Bruce Arians go. That still happened.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

7. Re: Did the Ravens make a mistake by not going after Bruce Arians?

The mistake was not replacing Cam with Todd Haley.
    The Steelers O-line is worse than ours, but because Haley recognizes and attempts to compensate for this by adjusting his scheme and playcalling, the Steelers are fairly consistent with their passing game.
    And even with all the injuries they've had to their RBs, Haley still keeps running the ball with Baron Freakin' Batch in the 3rd & 4th Qtr.

But because Harbs just WUVS his Cammy Cam-Cam so verwy verwy muuuuuch...

Regardless of who comes in, I think Cam is done here after this year unless we suddenly turn into the 99 Rams or make it to the Super Bowl.

It's not going to be Harbaugh firing him...it's gonna be Steve.

I think as a business man, and considering that we are have and are going to be spending a ton of money on the offensive side of the ball with extentions (basically to keep the players we have) and he's going to want to know this...the offense isn't performing to expectations. There is either a problem with the players, or the coaches. Everybody wants to keep the players (Ozzie and the coaches). If he is going to spend all that money on the players, someone is going to have to fall on the sword so to speak for the explanation of why we aren't having the success we should be having with all these high priced players.

I think Steve has really wanted to can Cam for a couple seasons now, but has been talked out of it by Harbaugh and maybe Ozzie too.

I think this is Cams last stand here and has lost his 9th life here.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Regardless of who comes in, I think Cam is done here after this year unless we suddenly turn into the 99 Rams or make it to the Super Bowl.

It's not going to be Harbaugh firing him...it's gonna be Steve.

I think as a business man, and considering that we are have and are going to be spending a ton of money on the offensive side of the ball with extentions (basically to keep the players we have) and he's going to want to know this...the offense isn't performing to expectations. There is either a problem with the players, or the coaches. Everybody wants to keep the players (Ozzie and the coaches). If he is going to spend all that money on the players, someone is going to have to fall on the sword so to speak for the explanation of why we aren't having the success we should be having with all these high priced players.

I think Steve has really wanted to can Cam for a couple seasons now, but has been talked out of it by Harbaugh and maybe Ozzie too.

I think this is Cams last stand here and has lost his 9th life here.

All very possible scenarios.

I just think at the end of the day folks need to realize that - like you said - this is a business and Bisciotti isn't one to shy away from making changes if he feels that it is necessary.

Cam has done all he can do with this offense. Many other coordinators have gotten to the SB and won it with less talent than what the Ravens have right now.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree that Arians had major problems with in-game adjustments, but I think he would still be an upgrade over Cam simply in that Arians actually had a fully developed, modern playbook that used the entire route tree with a number of different play concepts.

Cam's playbook is missing huge sections of the modern NFL passing system--entire route concepts that simply aren't there. Any OC that uses a complete NFL playbook is an upgrade over Cam.
    Folks, this is THE thing. A very simple description of THE main problem. If Flacco looked through his progressions, he would see a number of receivers open, maybe some by 5 yards, ala Ben these last couple of years.
    Which means every one of Joe's passes would not have to be threaded into an extremely tight window.
    That alone would have made this entire team so much better IMHO.
    Keep the chains moving, keep our defense on the sideline, and many more points and big increase in time of possession. We have the group of skill players to do that.

Blog Entries

If we are winning games with Killa Cam right now not even maximizing half of our squads talent right now, imagine when or if we get a competent, creative and charismatic OC that Joe meshes with?