Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Did the Ravens make a mistake by not going after Bruce Arians?

Just wondering.

He's really doing some good things with the Colts offense and Andrew Luck.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Did the Ravens make a mistake by not going after Bruce Arians?

I don't think so. Pitt fans wanted him gone as bad as most of this board wants Cam gone, it wasn't like he was a hot commodity. And do you think the Ravens can win with Flacco throwing 50 times a game like Luck? Just a couple thoughtst...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I don't think so. Pitt fans wanted him gone as bad as most of this board wants Cam gone, it wasn't like he was a hot commodity. And do you think the Ravens can win with Flacco throwing 50 times a game like Luck? Just a couple thoughtst...
    Valid points. No doubt.

I never understood why the Pittsburgh fans wanted Arians gone. They did win 2 SB's with him there, IIRC. Roethlisberger developed into one of the best in the game behind a crap OL under Arians.

I'm just saying...I know this is going to turn into an anti-Cam thread, and that isn't why I started this thread, but I remember Arians being a name that many on here would have liked to see as the OC.

I just think they may have missed an opportunity to get a guy with experience, a fresh approach to the offense, and taking someone with intimate knowledge of a divisional rival.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    No I don't think Flacco can win consistently throwing that many times on the road, maybe not even at home against better teams.

However, I think Bruce Arians would be a better fit for this team, he is consistent in his philosophy, and not one or the other which is what Cam is, it's either run the ball 30 + times a game or pass for 50 + times a game. Bruce Arians is not really a pass first OC, he likes to run the ball too, it's just you kind of can't ignore the fact that you have a really talented QB like Roethlisberger or Luck on your team, you may as well throw it around in a given game.

In saying that, I don't think the Ravens made a mistake so to speak, but I do think they should have at least considered other options than going with Cam again, it just seems like he was automatically resigned without any thought going into it.

No.

I don't think people are giving Luck enough credit there. Dude is an incredible rookie.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    No.

I don't think people are giving Luck enough credit there. Dude is an incredible rookie.
    He definitely is.

But they have A LOT of rookies all over the place in that offense and they're still doing well.

The biggest knock against Arians was he didn't run it enough...but the Steelers haven't had a RB worth a damn since Jerome Bettis.

I'm just saying...I think Arians could have done some good things with the personnel on this offense.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    No I don't think Flacco can win consistently throwing that many times on the road, maybe not even at home against better teams.

However, I think Bruce Arians would be a better fit for this team, he is consistent in his philosophy, and not one or the other which is what Cam is, it's either run the ball 30 + times a game or pass for 50 + times a game. Bruce Arians is not really a pass first OC, he likes to run the ball too, it's just you kind of can't ignore the fact that you have a really talented QB like Roethlisberger or Luck on your team, you may as well throw it around in a given game.

In saying that, I don't think the Ravens made a mistake so to speak, but I do think they should have at least considered other options than going with Cam again, it just seems like he was automatically resigned without any thought going into it.
    Oh, many Steelers fans would loudly disagree.

Trust me...I have a ton of them in my family (both parents are from Pittsburgh...so you can imagine the chatting on holidays).
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Just wondering.

He's really doing some good things with the Colts offense and Andrew Luck.
    In retrospect...yea. I would prefer a Bruce Arians run offense to what we have now.
    That said, I understand why they didn't.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He definitely is.

But they have A LOT of rookies all over the place in that offense and they're still doing well.

The biggest knock against Arians was he didn't run it enough...but the Steelers haven't had a RB worth a damn since Jerome Bettis.

I'm just saying...I think Arians could have done some good things with the personnel on this offense.
    That's not necessarily true. They may not have had a dominating RB, but Mendenhall (and Willie Parker before him) are functional, good backs.

And they aren't averaging a lot this year, but when they've needed it, they've done a solid job running the ball this year.

Blog Entries

nm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Oh, many Steelers fans would loudly disagree.

Trust me...I have a ton of them in my family (both parents are from Pittsburgh...so you can imagine the chatting on holidays).
    They can disagree, and they probably know way more about the Steelers than I do.

But they never really had a consistent RB since Jerome. Mendenhall could be good at times, but he has never really been great. The Steelers never really installed a dangerous ground game in the last few years of Arians' tenure, and most of it was because of the personnel they had, piss poor Oline, and average backs to work with.

Blog Entries

I'd rather have Bruce Arians' offense over Cam's offense at this point.