Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,547
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?



    This does have eerie similarities to 2007.

    I'm honestly not expecting much out of this team. I feel their best chance to win it all was the past two years, and we blew it. I'm kind of tired and weary about debating the merits of this team, or any other sports teams. I'm just over it all now.




  2. Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

    Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    No doubt that suggs made a statement with his play two weeks ago, but will he be enough? The rest of the defense looks awful. I'd expect the Browns to gameplan for Suggs, as there isn't much else for them to worry about.
    I also expect Shittsburgh to go into NY and get their collective ass' handed to them by the Giants, thus sending all of Shittsburgh nation to drown in their sorrows.

    Shittsburgh's has won two games against two sub .500 teams and all of sudden Shittsburgh fans think they're on their way to the SB.




  3. Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    This does have eerie similarities to 2007.

    I'm honestly not expecting much out of this team. I feel their best chance to win it all was the past two years, and we blew it. I'm kind of tired and weary about debating the merits of this team, or any other sports teams. I'm just over it all now.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Last year, given the relative health of the team at the end of the season, defense playing great, offense playing well enough - it obviously didn't happen. Play out the season and see where the chips fall.

    To the OP, yes, extremely similar scenarios between the two. I remember being at the Ravens/SF game in 07' and we, 'Won' 9-7. One of the most boring games I've ever been to. Ravens scored 3 FG's and SF scored one TD and missed a FG try at the end of regulation to preserve a Raven, W.

    Our offense was absolutely putrid but some fans were still holding on to the record as evidence as this team will go to the SB. Realists saw what team was early in the year, not ignoring the major flaws on the Offense.

    Not hoping for a repeat of 07' but instead, hoping the Ravens get it all together and finish strong. Circa 2011 NY Giants.
    Last edited by MD Boy; 11-03-2012 at 04:59 PM.




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Blvd of Broken Dreams
    Posts
    2,228

    Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

    Pretty much agree with Tony. I guess it would be pertinent to ponder: if we can not beat Cleveland after a week off, how will we beat Pitt, NYG, Cincy, Denver, et al?

    And the future is not particularly bright: Ray and Ed are done or perhaps "overdone." Our D of the future?: McPhee, Art Jones, Kindle, Kruger, C Williams, Cody? Is there a probable future star on the entire D? MAYBE Jimmy. MAYBE Web (after 2 serious injuries?)
    O line a mess. O overall not confidence-inspiring. Coaching not sterling.
    And here comes sacrilege: Oz has made too many high picks that have not delivered.

    Hoping the future makes a fool of me . . .




  5. #20

    Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

    I am pretty optimistic, but i don't think anybody can look at how the team has performed and not have serious concerns...and the season does seem to be coming to somewhat of a crossroads here.

    I knew the defense would take a significant dip, but not to this extent. I thought the offense would be able to pick up the slack, but they are just way too inconsistent.

    I don't think the defense is going to make huge improvements...they will get a little better because of Suggs, but the injuries are taking their toll.

    This season is going to rest on the offenses shoulders...either they get their shit together or it's going to be a rocky season.

    Leading the league in 3 and outs and having the shortest TOP in the league is not going to cut it.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  6. #21

    Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

    Similarities to 2007? No 1 Flacco >Kyle Boller and an oft injured McNair. As bad as the DBS have been we don't have a washed up McCallister and a horrific Cory Ivy. We had serious injuries throuout 2007. Billick was checked out. In 2007 we were 4-2 but 0-2 in the division with losses to Cleveland and Cincy. The same people predicting our demise, also said we would lose the final game to Cincy last year. The NFL season is week to week. Pittsburgh lost to Oakland and Tennessee on the road and everyone was predicting doom for the Stellers. Now everyone here is saying Pittsburgh is going to win the division and we will miss the playoffs. We had a poor game. Much in the same manner we did against San Diego last year. Our D is not as strong but I'm willing to let the season play out. Week to Week people. Week to Week!




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hamilton/Parkville, MD
    Posts
    2,163

    Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

    Tomorrow is an important game for a couple reasons. First of which is to show that we're a better team than what we showed in Houston. But also, it's quite possible that Pitt goes into NY and gets beat, so a win over the Browns will give us a 2 game cushion once again. Pitt has a pretty easy schedule after Sunday, so it would be nice to have some margin for error the rest of the season.




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,547
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

    When your 5-2 its kinda of hard to call any game a MUST WIN game. That said, this is about as close as you can get to this scenario. Considering the beat down handed to us in Houston and the schedule ahead, a loss tomorrow would seem to indicate that the road ahead could get pretty ugly. A solid win could be more indicative that the loss in Houston while a bad one, was more of a perfect storm than the ongoing norm.
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gettysburg, PA
    Posts
    2,960

    Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

    The game of football is a lot Mental, and so a loss tomorrow could do a lot to destroy an already fragile team psyche, sending this team into a dangerous, possibly season ending tailspin.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,401
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

    Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I hear you but you'd have to admit their hopes aren't improving.
    Hopes to do what?

    I feel like their hopes are pretty much the same as they were from the win against Dallas. We had lost a couple key players and seen that our defense was far from the status quo. Our offense had displayed carry over from last years road woes. Many here expected us to go to Houston and get whooped.

    My hopes are high. I still think this team has as much talent as any and I'm somewhat confident that the team used this bye week to fix some of our problems.

    The NY Giants were swept by the Skins last year. If that doesn't give you hope for our team than I don't know what will.

    Go Ravens




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Olney, MD (Baltimore native)
    Posts
    364

    Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    Tomorrow is an important game for a couple reasons. First of which is to show that we're a better team than what we showed in Houston. But also, it's quite possible that Pitt goes into NY and gets beat, so a win over the Browns will give us a 2 game cushion once again. Pitt has a pretty easy schedule after Sunday, so it would be nice to have some margin for error the rest of the season.
    This sums it up for me. Coming off of a much needed bye, the game in Cleveland is a crucial opportunity for the Ravens to restore their confidence as a team. They need to reestablish themselves as a solid contender with an important road victory (keep their intra-divisional winning streak intact) while staying AHEAD of the Steelers.




  12. #27

    Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

    Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    They eventually snapped the 9 game skid with a win over the Steelers in the season finale at home by the score of 27-21.

    The win was essentially a gift from Bill Cowher who rested most of his starters because a win would not affect the Steelers post season seeding.
    Sorry but this incorrect and leaves out a lot of other facts about that game.

    Mike Tomlin was the coach. Cowher retired after the 2006 season.

    The Steelers did rest Ben and Troy but played the rest of their starters into the 3rd quarter but rested them after they found out that the Chargers were going to win and retain the 3rd seed. To that point though the damage had been done because the Ravens had already gashed them badly with the running game and had a 20-7 lead. The Steelers were trying to avoid playing Jacksonville who was on a roll and had beaten them already that season.

    Lastly the Ravens were playing with Troy Smith, Musa Smith and Cory Ross. This was not the Ravens 1's versus the Steelers 3rd string as many think it was and in reality a Steelers D even without Troy should've shut out the Ravens 3rd and 4th stringers.

    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/200712...vens#tab=recap

    As for the comparison to 2007 I think its a little off. The Ravens D then was off because of injuries to their corners and an injured Trevor Pryce basically aging before our eyes (how he made it to 2010 is beyond me). The offense was simply putrid but had really slowed from the middle of the 2006 season so the injuries to McNair, JO and yes Demetrius Williams basically grounded them (not to mention that the oline had 3 rookies along with Mike Flynn who makes Matt Birk look likes he's in his prime).

    This year the D has dealt with major injuries but truthfully they were playing below standard. At this point the best we can expect is a bend but don't break defense that can at least hold decent to below average teams to FG's. The wild card is the offense. They simply have to consistently produce. With no major injuries on that side of the ball they should be better than this. While the o line is not the best in pass protection, stats show that they are not bad run blockers which leads me to the point everyone has been trying to make........run the ball more often.

    If the Ravens run the ball its does so many positive things for not only the offense but for the team in general. The offense eats up TOP, they can run play action effectively (press man is limited) and the defense stays off the field. For some reason this team has simply not played to their strengths especially on the road. Everyone who has ever played states that on the road you have to bring your defense and your running game and while the D is below average the running game is still there and can cover for a multitude of weaknesses.

    This season doesn't have to be a repeat of 2007 because the Ravens clearly have more talent and experience than that team however if the coaching staff and specifically John Harbaugh continue to play into the opponents hands it will become just another bad dream. If that happens, the owner is going to have to consider significant changes going into 2013 including at the very least putting the HC on notice.




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hamilton/Parkville, MD
    Posts
    2,163

    Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    If the Ravens run the ball its does so many positive things for not only the offense but for the team in general.
    I've been saying this for weeks now. Run the ball often - Rice is one of our best weapons - but be patient with it. Pass mostly with screens and slants. Make Rice a major part of this offense, and use Boldin for what he does best - crossing patterns underneath. Control the TOP and keep the defense off the field as much as possible.




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    The Steelers did rest Ben and Troy but played the rest of their starters into the 3rd quarter but rested them after they found out that the Chargers were going to win and retain the 3rd seed. To that point though the damage had been done because the Ravens had already gashed them badly with the running game and had a 20-7 lead. The Steelers were trying to avoid playing Jacksonville who was on a roll and had beaten them already that season.

    Lastly the Ravens were playing with Troy Smith, Musa Smith and Cory Ross. This was not the Ravens 1's versus the Steelers 3rd string as many think it was and in reality a Steelers D even without Troy should've shut out the Ravens 3rd and 4th stringers.

    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/200712...vens#tab=recap
    Yes, Tony got the coaches wrong but that link doesn't help your argument.

    As that game recap clearly shows it was second string v. second string that night and we managed to pull it out.

    So yes, it was a gift from Tomlin. They had nothing to play for.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall, MD
    Posts
    19,164

    Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

    Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Hopes to do what?

    I feel like their hopes are pretty much the same as they were from the win against Dallas. We had lost a couple key players and seen that our defense was far from the status quo. Our offense had displayed carry over from last years road woes. Many here expected us to go to Houston and get whooped.

    My hopes are high. I still think this team has as much talent as any and I'm somewhat confident that the team used this bye week to fix some of our problems.

    The NY Giants were swept by the Skins last year. If that doesn't give you hope for our team than I don't know what will.

    Go Ravens
    Maybe I should have qualified that by saying "realistic hopes." If yours are "realistically" high at this point, we're not seeing the same team and I truly hope your expectations are realized and certainly not mine. I think a playoff berth is in serious jeopardy and if they lose today, unless a team can sneak in at 9-7, I don't see 5 wins on the back end of the 16 game schedule. Not this team with their road struggles and sieve-like defense.

    TODAY IS A MUST WIN...PERIOD!
    Follow me on Twitter @ russellstreport




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland