Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

Quote Originally Posted by YorkRavensFan View Post
    While I agree with some of the points above and yeah, this is probably a must win, I'm not sure I agree about Weeden. I think rather than enjoying having his WR back, he very well may end up running for his life trying to get away from a pissed off Suggs. I know the pass rush has been largely non-existent, but I think Suggs made a statement with his play 2 weeks ago and coming off this bye week, I just have this gut feeling that things might look a little different on that end.
    No doubt that suggs made a statement with his play two weeks ago, but will he be enough? The rest of the defense looks awful. I'd expect the Browns to gameplan for Suggs, as there isn't much else for them to worry about.

I am not ready to write off the season based on tomorrow's game, but I believe that it is the difference between a team that has addressed some weaknesses and one that limps through the balance of the schedule, and may or may not make the playoffs. If the team comes out and plays hard with some regular offensive performance, even if it is a close game, then they can come back to Baltimore, beat the Raiders and ride the wave into the Steelers' game. If they stumble/fumble/bumble in Cleveland, whether they win or lose is not really relevant. They will have no formula for being a winning team for the rest of the year. That would mean that they just flip a coin about the games with the Raiders, Redskins, Chargers and Bengals, and have little faith in the ones with the Steelers, Broncos and Giants.

I am concerned. I will wait to draw conclusions from what they bring out of the Bye. It is an important game in what it says about the players and the schemes.
    Captain Offense

Of course it's a must win. It's a 16 game season - and you've got to beat teams below you to have any shot. Yes, the Ravens manage to lose a couple of those and still get a 1st round bye, but that's more of an exception. It's a different team, anyway.

A loss wouldn't signal the beginning of the end by itself, but it make any concerns step up a little. The Ravens do tend to play better in the colder months. Win and it's one step toward the magic ten.

Plus, it wouldn't surprise me if this year that the Superbowl is contested between two teams that right now do not look that good. In some ways, it's just pure recent history. Last year, the Patriots just lost to the Giants - New England had two straight losses to fall to 5-3 and people started to ask questions. The Giants went to 6-2, but were about to hit a 4 game skid.

The Steelers just lost to the Saints to go 5-2. The Packers went to 5-3 after an ugly 9-0 win over the Jets.

2009 was an anomaly of recent years. 2008 was again much the same.

The top two teams of now - probably Falcons and Texans hardly have stellar late season credentials. They've a lot to prove. Lotta room for a late season run for anyone.

This does have eerie similarities to 2007.

I'm honestly not expecting much out of this team. I feel their best chance to win it all was the past two years, and we blew it. I'm kind of tired and weary about debating the merits of this team, or any other sports teams. I'm just over it all now.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    No doubt that suggs made a statement with his play two weeks ago, but will he be enough? The rest of the defense looks awful. I'd expect the Browns to gameplan for Suggs, as there isn't much else for them to worry about.
    I also expect Shittsburgh to go into NY and get their collective ass' handed to them by the Giants, thus sending all of Shittsburgh nation to drown in their sorrows.

Shittsburgh's has won two games against two sub .500 teams and all of sudden Shittsburgh fans think they're on their way to the SB.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    This does have eerie similarities to 2007.

I'm honestly not expecting much out of this team. I feel their best chance to win it all was the past two years, and we blew it. I'm kind of tired and weary about debating the merits of this team, or any other sports teams. I'm just over it all now.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Last year, given the relative health of the team at the end of the season, defense playing great, offense playing well enough - it obviously didn't happen. Play out the season and see where the chips fall.

To the OP, yes, extremely similar scenarios between the two. I remember being at the Ravens/SF game in 07' and we, 'Won' 9-7. One of the most boring games I've ever been to. Ravens scored 3 FG's and SF scored one TD and missed a FG try at the end of regulation to preserve a Raven, W.

Our offense was absolutely putrid but some fans were still holding on to the record as evidence as this team will go to the SB. Realists saw what team was early in the year, not ignoring the major flaws on the Offense.

Not hoping for a repeat of 07' but instead, hoping the Ravens get it all together and finish strong. Circa 2011 NY Giants.
    Last edited by MD Boy; 11-03-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Pretty much agree with Tony. I guess it would be pertinent to ponder: if we can not beat Cleveland after a week off, how will we beat Pitt, NYG, Cincy, Denver, et al?

And the future is not particularly bright: Ray and Ed are done or perhaps "overdone." Our D of the future?: McPhee, Art Jones, Kindle, Kruger, C Williams, Cody? Is there a probable future star on the entire D? MAYBE Jimmy. MAYBE Web (after 2 serious injuries?)
    O line a mess. O overall not confidence-inspiring. Coaching not sterling.
    And here comes sacrilege: Oz has made too many high picks that have not delivered.

Hoping the future makes a fool of me . . .

I am pretty optimistic, but i don't think anybody can look at how the team has performed and not have serious concerns...and the season does seem to be coming to somewhat of a crossroads here.

I knew the defense would take a significant dip, but not to this extent. I thought the offense would be able to pick up the slack, but they are just way too inconsistent.

I don't think the defense is going to make huge improvements...they will get a little better because of Suggs, but the injuries are taking their toll.

This season is going to rest on the offenses shoulders...either they get their shit together or it's going to be a rocky season.

Leading the league in 3 and outs and having the shortest TOP in the league is not going to cut it.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Similarities to 2007? No 1 Flacco >Kyle Boller and an oft injured McNair. As bad as the DBS have been we don't have a washed up McCallister and a horrific Cory Ivy. We had serious injuries throuout 2007. Billick was checked out. In 2007 we were 4-2 but 0-2 in the division with losses to Cleveland and Cincy. The same people predicting our demise, also said we would lose the final game to Cincy last year. The NFL season is week to week. Pittsburgh lost to Oakland and Tennessee on the road and everyone was predicting doom for the Stellers. Now everyone here is saying Pittsburgh is going to win the division and we will miss the playoffs. We had a poor game. Much in the same manner we did against San Diego last year. Our D is not as strong but I'm willing to let the season play out. Week to Week people. Week to Week!

Tomorrow is an important game for a couple reasons. First of which is to show that we're a better team than what we showed in Houston. But also, it's quite possible that Pitt goes into NY and gets beat, so a win over the Browns will give us a 2 game cushion once again. Pitt has a pretty easy schedule after Sunday, so it would be nice to have some margin for error the rest of the season.

When your 5-2 its kinda of hard to call any game a MUST WIN game. That said, this is about as close as you can get to this scenario. Considering the beat down handed to us in Houston and the schedule ahead, a loss tomorrow would seem to indicate that the road ahead could get pretty ugly. A solid win could be more indicative that the loss in Houston while a bad one, was more of a perfect storm than the ongoing norm.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

The game of football is a lot Mental, and so a loss tomorrow could do a lot to destroy an already fragile team psyche, sending this team into a dangerous, possibly season ending tailspin.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton