Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Cam says the Ravens have a "comm" problem

Some of you guys are just amazing. Common sense takes a back seat to your agendas. Which is to put ALL the blame on the OC and belittle the QB'S influence on this offense and it's issues. Bottom line is that the QB has the final say on what play is called. Fact ,there are run plays called initially and they are sometimes changed at the line of scrimmage. So when you complain about pass vs run ratios, your bias for the OC and your love for the QB, makes some ignore that reality. What you can pin to the OC directly is the package /personnel on the field. Is Leach on the field enough is a fair complaint. Also let me help a member who is passionate about getting rid of the OC and making excuses for certain players. When discussing the input of a vet QB, this member is under the impression that the vet QB can ONLY choose from a list of plays designed ONLY by the OC. That's not how the NFL works. In year 1, 2 maybe. But after that the conversation is ( from OC to QB) " what do you want to add....", "what routes do you want to implement", "how do you want to attack...". This is the evolution of the OC to the franchise QB relationship as they spend seasons together. No OC is going to throw a playbook at vet QB and tell him to " Pick some of MY plays that you like and keep your opinions to yourself". If you believe otherwise it's because you need to think that way to boost your argument.

This is basic stuff folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I've been saying this for a while but if folks feel better making Cam the scapegoat then they'll do it. Heard them on SiriusNFL today talking about QBs and the presnap read. Brady, Eli and some of the best and how they make the adjustments. Then named a few (Vick) who still can't do it. I think Flacco struggles with it at times
    Pre- and post-snap reads are definitely something I think we are clearly worse at than the top passing offenses. Of course I also think our plays themselves are undeniably more simple and predictable than these top offenses. Which is why I think it is fair to spread the blame around when it comes to our too-often inept passing attack.

Cam would do better with a more learned or mentally-quick QB, and Flacco would do better with more dynamic and creative plays to choose from. Combined and we can see some serious stagnation against decent teams and/or typical road game adversity.

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    . When discussing the input of a vet QB, this member is under the impression that the vet QB can ONLY choose from a list of plays designed ONLY by the OC. That's not how the NFL works. In year 1, 2 maybe. But after that the conversation is ( from OC to QB) " what do you want to add....", "what routes do you want to implement", "how do you want to attack...". This is the evolution of the OC to the franchise QB relationship as they spend seasons together. No OC is going to throw a playbook at vet QB and tell him to " Pick some of MY plays that you like and keep your opinions to yourself". If you believe otherwise it's because you need to think that way to boost your argument.

Yet again that is saying that CAM does this. Players that have worked with him in the past say diffrent. They say that CAM does not do it. It is Cam's way or no way at all.

Blog Entries

Not saying Flacco don't change some plays, but c'mon folks. Cam is the OC not Joe. If Cam doesn't like what Joe is doing he makes the changes and tells him to take all commands from the tower (Cam) and calls the plays. If Joe is blowing off his boss and doing his own thing, well we have bigger issues.

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    Right. No matter whether he is checking into a run or a pass they are still Cam's plays. And, as it has been said over and over and over and over by nearly every analyst under the sun, Cam's plays are not suited to today's NFL.

As though that weren't enough, defenses seem to be in Cam's head. When he calls slants, defenses rush 3 or 4 and drop everyone else into coverage. When he calls longer routes, defenses send pressure and Flacco doesn't have enough time to find the open guy/the WRs don't have the time to get open. Defenses have a spy on RR most of the time, so screen to him are largely ineffective. And, against the Texans, he called a number of WR screens, but with the exception of Doss' TD, they were all batted down at the line.

Part of me thinks that if they were more effective running the ball out of the shotgun they'd be more multiple. It's fine to have the personnel to run the no-huddle and switch between being under center and in the gun from play to play, but generally when they go I-form, we know it's run or play-action. If they go shotgun, it's going to be a pass more often than not.

They can't continue to be so predictable.
    WHAT??!!! Other teams LOOK at what the Ravens are doing and can figure it out?!!!
    THE HELL YOU SAY!!!!
    It doesn't matter...if the play doesn't work, just run it again and again and again.
    I'm sure, eventually the opposing team will think, "SURELY they aren't going to run THAT PLAY AGAIN", and then trick them by running it AGAIN!!!

It wasn't ENOUGH for everyone to hear the words out of the Houston's defensive players after the Divisional playoff game, how vanilla our offense was, that we can't figure out why every team in the league can figure our offense out, too.

Our players have simply had to be superior and execute perfectly every play which is impossible.
    It is very hard to beat your opposition physically every play when they know what you are running.
    That the team has made it to 4 playoffs shows how gifted these guys are.

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    Some of you guys are just amazing. Common sense takes a back seat to your agendas. Which is to put ALL the blame on the OC and belittle the QB'S influence on this offense and it's issues. Bottom line is that the QB has the final say on what play is called. Fact ,there are run plays called initially and they are sometimes changed at the line of scrimmage. So when you complain about pass vs run ratios, your bias for the OC and your love for the QB, makes some ignore that reality. What you can pin to the OC directly is the package /personnel on the field. Is Leach on the field enough is a fair complaint. Also let me help a member who is passionate about getting rid of the OC and making excuses for certain players. When discussing the input of a vet QB, this member is under the impression that the vet QB can ONLY choose from a list of plays designed ONLY by the OC. That's not how the NFL works. In year 1, 2 maybe. But after that the conversation is ( from OC to QB) " what do you want to add....", "what routes do you want to implement", "how do you want to attack...". This is the evolution of the OC to the franchise QB relationship as they spend seasons together. No OC is going to throw a playbook at vet QB and tell him to " Pick some of MY plays that you like and keep your opinions to yourself". If you believe otherwise it's because you need to think that way to boost your argument.

And how do you know Cam does this? He's known for being pretty stubborn and not wanting anyone messing with his offense, so I'm not sure he does.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Corey-
    I laughed/snorted when I saw that picture, and continue to clean my PC's monitor!

The question I have is -
    Is Joltin' Joe trying to look like a "playah", or just droppin' a deuce on the clubhouse floor???

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    And why is he just now talking about trying to fix it?

That was my first thought also
    Makes some sense that comm is an issue, but WTF? It took a bye week to figure this out?
    Personally if I were Cam I would not have talked about this issue till after I used it to my advantage by burning Cleveland a on a few plays by switching things up....thats just me though
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis

Back that old Titanic up Cam and have another go at the iceberg!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post

That was my first thought also
    Makes some sense that comm is an issue, but WTF? It took a bye week to figure this out?
    Personally if I were Cam I would not have talked about this issue till after I used it to my advantage by burning Cleveland a on a few plays by switching things up....thats just me though

Coming to this forum, I learn so much. I learn that Harbaugh and Cam are so stubborn they refuse to give the young guys a chance. I also learn they are so stubborn they keep running guys out there who aren't ready yet, while keeping some wily, old veteran on the bench because he's in a "doghouse."

Blog Entries

And so what if Joe is changing out of run plays. Ray Rice is carrying the ball less and they are still 5-2. He took Cincinnati to task, should have sealed the Eagles game with his third TD (Jones) (Although I will admit he missed Pitta on the following drive's third and two), only to have it called back, led the Ravens back from a two possession deficit in the fourth quarter against the Patriots and led the offense (Along with Rice finishing off the drives) to score 24 points in about twenty minutes of TOP against the top passing defense in the league.

If the WRs caught the ball early in the KC game, that game wouldn't have been as close, even though he did not play spectacular.

When are we going to wake up and realize that this guy can handle this?

If he'd been given this much freedom, well before now, we'd probably be already looking at him as one of the best in the league. Why they waited four years to do it,.........? Smh.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    And so what if Joe is changing out of run plays. Ray Rice is carrying the ball less and they are still 5-2. He took Cincinnati to task, should have sealed the Eagles game with his third TD (Jones) (Although I will admit he missed Pitta on the following drive's third and two), only to have it called back, led the Ravens back from a two possession deficit in the fourth quarter against the Patriots and led the offense (Along with Rice finishing off the drives) to score 24 points in about twenty minutes of TOP against the top passing defense in the league.

If the WRs caught the ball early in the KC game, that game wouldn't have been as close, even though he did not play spectacular.

When are we going to wake up and realize that this guy can handle this?

If he'd been given this much freedom, well before now, we'd probably be already looking at him as one of the best in the league. Why they waited four years to do it,.........? Smh.
    It is a big deal when it's like 3rd and two and your constantly going to pass the ball and more times than not miss (see Philly game).

This isn't the first time we've tried it with him either, we tried it last year, and in 09 too, all leading to mass inconsistency's on the offensive side of the ball.