Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Cam says the Ravens have a "comm" problem

Don't worry guys!
    After all the years of being a coach, Cam just figured out that there is noise at away games.
    During last offseason, Cam watched film and noticed that Joe is good in the no-huddle.
    Which means it only took 4 years for him to notice that about Joe.

So, given enough years, he will figure everything out.
    Any year now he will figure out that if the receivers have designed routes to get them open, then they will have separation no matter how fast they are and Joe can throw for 350 yards a game.
    I'm patiently waiting for that ah-HA moment...but I will probably lose all my hair and teeth by then...

Cam better hope that the Ravens offense wins some games and makes the post season. Could Biscotti get upset if his team(who pays Ray Rice a lot of money this year) implode? I say yes and he will make changes in the coaching staff.
    Maybe Cam and Flacco just don't travel well.

Thought this was interesting...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...ball-from-rice

Pertinent part: "Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron suggested that one reason Ray Rice isn't getting the ball is because quarterback Joe Flacco is changing running plays to passing ones at the line of scrimmage..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post

Pertinent part: "Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron suggested that one reason Ray Rice isn't getting the ball is because quarterback Joe Flacco is changing running plays to passing ones at the line of scrimmage..."
    There is more on that in LFW:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...6-9cceb34fbc8e

I think it is time that some of the blame for the offensive play calling shifts to Flacco. We know Cam. We know Cam will run the ball 50 times a game if he could, he's done it here in Baltimore before. This sudden shift to throwing it 50 times a game can't be all him it's not his style. Part of this has to be Flacco.

That's not to say Cam is blameless, he needs a new scheme. This one is outdated.

*Also interesting photo of Flacco just below that story. LMAO. You'll never guess who it came from..... Or maybe you will.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I don't think defensively it's communication, it's lack of talent and ability. You can't fix that.
    I think it's more fundamentals than lack of talent. It is a coaching issue. Cody plays with poor technique. Smith and Upshaw are young and still learning the NFL. Williams and Smith are both, whether by coaching decision or their own comfort zone, playing too far off most receivers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    If its a comm problem, most likely due to crowd noise at away games, then that is all on the coaching.

If the coaches can't devise a scheme to work around crowd noise then maybe we need new coaches.
    :word

This may lend to some posts from other guys about when Yanda waves his hand/taps Birk and then the ball is snapped.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post

He also checks into running plays a lot as well, so I'm not sure that article is entirely accurate.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He also checks into running plays a lot as well, so I'm not sure that article is entirely accurate.
    The cynic in me says that checking into running plays doesn't give him much opportunity to justify a big contract for himself. In any event, you may be right--Rice only has nine fewer rushing attempts through seven games this year as opposed to last year, which is less than a 10% difference. I just pointed this out to illustrate that Cam may not be as completely responsible for playcalling as many here seem to believe. Which does not excuse him from responsibility for play design, however...

Typical Cam Cameron. Passive-aggressively blame the players--it's all about execution, communication on the field, blah blah blah. He's absolved of any responsibility--the plays are fantastic, each one is perfect, the problems come from not the PLAYERS not executing them, not communicating them, or audibling out of them.

By the way, wasn't it just last offseason that we were complaining that Joe either didn't have enough freedom to audible or wasn't smart enough to audible out of a bad play to a better one? Now the problem is he's audibling TOO much?

I didn't hear Flacco calling many audibles at all against Houston, but he's been great reading the defense and making adjustments pre-snap thus far, in fact it's possibly the biggest improvement in his game. If the defense was crowding the box with 8 or 9 I have no problem with him checking out to a pass. The only problem is they have to have a GOOD play to check into, not a terrible one, and yes they do have to execute it correctly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    There is more on that in LFW:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...6-9cceb34fbc8e

I think it is time that some of the blame for the offensive play calling shifts to Flacco. We know Cam. We know Cam will run the ball 50 times a game if he could, he's done it here in Baltimore before. This sudden shift to throwing it 50 times a game can't be all him it's not his style. Part of this has to be Flacco.

That's not to say Cam is blameless, he needs a new scheme. This one is outdated.

*Also interesting photo of Flacco just below that story. LMAO. You'll never guess who it came from..... Or maybe you will.
    I've been saying this for a while but if folks feel better making Cam the scapegoat then they'll do it. Heard them on SiriusNFL today talking about QBs and the presnap read. Brady, Eli and some of the best and how they make the adjustments. Then named a few (Vick) who still can't do it. I think Flacco struggles with it at times

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

As I have said repeatedly give Cam 8 months to prepare for a game (the 2011 opener against the Steelers and the 2012 opener against the Bengals for example) and Cam can't be beat. So as long as the Ravens can work in 8 month byes between games we're OK. Anything less that that Cam has a real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    Don't worry guys!
    After all the years of being a coach, Cam just figured out that there is noise at away games.
    During last offseason, Cam watched film and noticed that Joe is good in the no-huddle.
    Which means it only took 4 years for him to notice that about Joe.

So, given enough years, he will figure everything out.
    Any year now he will figure out that if the receivers have designed routes to get them open, then they will have separation no matter how fast they are and Joe can throw for 350 yards a game.
    I'm patiently waiting for that ah-HA moment...but I will probably lose all my hair and teeth by then...

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Right. No matter whether he is checking into a run or a pass they are still Cam's plays. And, as it has been said over and over and over and over by nearly every analyst under the sun, Cam's plays are not suited to today's NFL.

As though that weren't enough, defenses seem to be in Cam's head. When he calls slants, defenses rush 3 or 4 and drop everyone else into coverage. When he calls longer routes, defenses send pressure and Flacco doesn't have enough time to find the open guy/the WRs don't have the time to get open. Defenses have a spy on RR most of the time, so screen to him are largely ineffective. And, against the Texans, he called a number of WR screens, but with the exception of Doss' TD, they were all batted down at the line.

Part of me thinks that if they were more effective running the ball out of the shotgun they'd be more multiple. It's fine to have the personnel to run the no-huddle and switch between being under center and in the gun from play to play, but generally when they go I-form, we know it's run or play-action. If they go shotgun, it's going to be a pass more often than not.

They can't continue to be so predictable.