Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: OT -- Storm Thread -- How's Everyone Doing?

2.30pm: The New York Times says a fire official in NYC has confirmed the first death in the city as a result of Sandy. A 30-year-old man died after a tree fell on his house, it says.

Sad to see.

Hope you all are well stocked and keeping warm and dry.
    Self appointed Ravens SuperFan in the southern hemisphere/New Zealand.

Blog Entries

Hard for me to believe it's close to midnight & the power is still on up here (several long blocks north of the former Memorial Stadium property)--knock on wood. It's raining hard & the wind is blowing but nothing spectacularly scary.

I wonder if we aren't in a better position to weather ;) Sandy because of last June's derecho--you have to figure that that storm brought down most of the less stable branches & trees & when the repair crews came to clean up they probably cleared away everything else that was a threat, so maybe (cross fingers) we'll see fewer power outages around the region.

PS Shout out to CincyCat--to quote a former President from a recent speech,Where you been, boy?

Hoping everyone is staying safe. As a west coaster we on;t have to worry about the shaking, not the wind and water. Be safe Ravensnation.

Blog Entries

Now the storm is sitting over NJ, MD, PA, and VA...looks like it is circling back over the areas that got a lot of snow and headed back north east...weird.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

The Sword of Light still has lights and all is calm over here.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Looks like the worst has passed us here in Parkville. Power stayed on all night. Very relieved.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

From Towson. At work this morning (JHU). No power at home. During the worst rain we had minor dripping through north facing windows and doors, and down north wall in basement (as usual), but nothing a bunch of towels and a few pots and pans couldn't fix. Battery backup on sump pump is kicking ass. Kept power until midnight, so I got to watch MNF. Drank a lot of beer and then turned to sipping port.

We live in a neighborhood that has huge old trees. We lost power during the last 2 storms for 7-8 days. These tress are scary if they fell on your house... so the whole family slept on blow-up beds in my soundproof drum room in the basement.

I think it's safe to say that most of Maryland dodged a bullet, except for OC and Garrett County. I live in the catonsville area and didn't lose power at all. Definately grateful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I think it's safe to say that most of Maryland dodged a bullet, except for OC and Garrett County. I live in the catonsville area and didn't lose power at all. Definately grateful for that.
    I'm wondering how much that crazy thunderstorm we had this summer actually cleaned out the old/weak trees. I think after that storm BGE was pretty aggressive in cutting down anything close to wires. I did see a couple big trees down in my neighborhood this morning though... and an SUV CRUSHED! But, we'll see. If I get power back before the weekend I will be ecstatic! Halloween could be cool with no lights and just torches and fire-pits though.

But yeah, we were smack in the center path... but the eye was huge and clear. We certainly had a few hour lull in there with nothing. So what's up with Garrett County specifically? Snow? I saw that they had lots of power outages. Honestly, I wish I had a cabin out there right now. I'm prepared for pretty much anything and as long as I don't get flooded I'm happy. I was hoping for snow here! :)

If temps stay in the mid 30's-40s you can pretty much put you food in a cooler outside and let it be and it will be fine. I'll take 30-40F and no power over 100F and no power any day.

Glad to here that so far everyone here is good! Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    I'm wondering how much that crazy thunderstorm we had this summer actually cleaned out the old/weak trees. I think after that storm BGE was pretty aggressive in cutting down anything close to wires. I did see a couple big trees down in my neighborhood this morning though... and an SUV CRUSHED! But, we'll see. If I get power back before the weekend I will be ecstatic! Halloween could be cool with no lights and just torches and fire-pits though.

But yeah, we were smack in the center path... but the eye was huge and clear. We certainly had a few hour lull in there with nothing. So what's up with Garrett County specifically? Snow? I saw that they had lots of power outages. Honestly, I wish I had a cabin out there right now. I'm prepared for pretty much anything and as long as I don't get flooded I'm happy. I was hoping for snow here! :)

If temps stay in the mid 30's-40s you can pretty much put you food in a cooler outside and let it be and it will be fine. I'll take 30-40F and no power over 100F and no power any day.

Glad to here that so far everyone here is good! Take care.
    Thanks for sharing and best of luck. I think you'll get your power back by Thu. As of now BGE is reporting 189k customers without power. Last storm we had around the numbers were much greater than that and the outages lasted much longer too. But you are correct. I recall an aggressive campaign by BGE to cut down trees close to any wires. Looks like that strategy paid off

Blog Entries

Yep still have power here, only went out for about 20 minutes. Just long enough for me to load up the coolers with ice and the stuff from the fridge and freezer, of course had the beer already in one, go to set them outside and the power came back on,lol.

Only damage, had a minor leak next to the basement french doors that I've tried everything to patch, well it leaked ALOT! And on that same facing wall the window in the basement bedroom leaked. Never seen that happen before but water seemed like it was steadily coming in at the top of the window. Guess it's time to put that homeowners to use,lol.

Blog Entries

Arlington, VA didn't lose power. Couple of pulses and flickers...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.