Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

The last time that the Baltimore Ravens lost after a bye week was back during a tumultuous 2007 season, the last for Brian Billick as the team’s head coach.

The Ravens started out the ’07 campaign (4-2) and much like this 2012 season so far, it was anything but pretty.

Just prior to the bye, the team traveled to Buffalo to take on the Bills who were coming off a bye of their own with a record of (1-4). An overconfident Billick squad fell to Trent Edwards & Co. by the score of 19-14.

Following their bye the Ravens traveled to Pittsburgh, where the Steelers throttled them, 38-7. It wasn’t even that close.

Billick’s squad would go on to lose another 7 consecutive games to fall to (4-11) including a loss to the then winless Cam Cameron and the Miami Dolphins. They eventually snapped the 9 game skid with a win over the Steelers in the season finale at home by the score of 27-21.

The win was essentially a gift from Bill Cowher who rested most of his starters because a win would not affect the Steelers post season seeding.

So why this trip down memory lane?

No one expected the Ravens’ 2007 season to unravel as it did. When they closed the 2006 regular season with a (13-3) record, many thought the Ravens were the league’s best team. So despite a disappointing Divisional Playoff loss to the Colts in Baltimore, the 2007 season held promise.

Just like the 2012 season once did.

But the cold hard truth is, the Ravens hopes are beginning to fade and the season is on the brink of spinning out of control.

The Ravens are on the ledge looking down and the question is, “What are they going to do about it beginning this week in Cleveland?”

Clearly history is on the Ravens side. They are (4-0) following the bye under John Harbaugh and they are (9-0) against the Browns since Harbaugh’s arrival. Good trends for sure because they will need all of the help they can get.

The Browns were one play away from tying the game here in Baltimore back on September 27. Now Brandon Weeden is a bit more seasoned and this time in Cleveland he’ll have the services of WR Mohamed Massaquoi who could have been a difference maker when the clubs last met. And let’s not forget the key drops by WR Greg Little (one for a tying TD) that could have been game changers.

Let’s keep it real here. For the moment these teams are going in opposite directions. The Ravens are reeling and the young Browns are gaining confidence along with momentum.
    And then there are those frightening stats that we’ve been reminded of for close to two weeks (and we’ll do it again):

• The Ravens offense is averaging 15 points per game on the road
    • Joe Flacco’s QB Rating on the road is 55.8
    • In 3 road games Flacco has been sacked 10 times
    • Flacco was sacked 4 times by the Browns on 9/27/12
    • Ray Rice’s touches per game are down to 18 on the road
    • Defensively the Ravens are ranked 27th v. the run
    • They give up over 8 first downs on average on the ground per game, 30th in the NFL
    • Average time of possession (26:05) is a league worst
    • Penalties are up over 50% in numbers and 64% in yardage (31st ranking)

Read more...LINK
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Sunday a must win in Cleveland?

Hate to say it, but I'm expecting an ugly loss. Looks like Ngata needs more than a week off and with the offensive line still in disarray I'm very nervous. Plus, which Joe will show? Will be watching the game through my fingers.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Tony-
    Pretty fair assessment, although I'm probably not feeling as pessimistic as "the season is on the brink of spinning out of control". And IMO, the "hopes are beginning to fade" part may be more on the backs of we the fans than the players.

I guess I'd say I think there needs to be a more credible showing v. the Browns than we saw against Houston. Cam and Joe need to "communicate" ;), the O-line needs to do their job, some receivers need to get separation, the secondary needs to mind their assignments, the backers to to set the edges, the front 3 or 4 through 6 or 7 need to create a pass rush, the special teams need to create their own big plays while avoiding those of Cleve....

you know....

simple stuff!:D

Blog Entries

Easy answer....YES it is a must win. You HAVE to show you can go and win on the road, for the teams own self confidence. Doesn't even have to be a blowout, just a convincing win. Because after Oakland you have pretty much no more gimmie's or teams you can make many mistakes on and still eek out a win. These next 2 weeks are critical to shoring everything up for the run to the playoffs.

Blog Entries

But the cold hard truth is, the Ravens hopes are beginning to fade and the season is on the brink of spinning out of control.
    With a 5-2 record, first in the AFCN and 2nd in the AFC?

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    With a 5-2 record, first in the AFCN and 2nd in the AFC?

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg
    This edition of the Ravens may benefit from a weak AFC. But if you see a lot of positives from this team other than their record, we're watching a different team...hence the statement that the team is fading and a loss on Sunday IMO possibly sends this season spinning out of control. I hope I'm wrong!

Tomorrow is a must-win, absolutely. We either get it together starting tomorrow or it's the beginning of the end. Even if we pull out a squeeker win, does anyone feel confident going forward facing Pittsburgh twice, SD, Den and the Giants? Washington at their place will be very tough, too, as will Cincy.

The hard truth is that this team is on the cusp of going into rebuilding mode. If you look around, Ray is close to finished if not already. Ed is getting old. The LB corps, aside from Suggs, is not that good. The same for the secondary aside from Webb.

The OL is a wreck. Birk needs to retire and, outside of Yanda, there's no rock solid performer there. Oher has his ups and downs and Osemele has promise but the line has holes that need filling urgently. The loss of Grubbs was huge.

The receiving corps and TE's look good. Flacco is Flacco. Good one week and confused looking the next. He also hasn't shown he can be consistent on the road. The coaching staff? Cam? Pees? We could probably do better in both spots.

So, going forward, we might beat Cleveland but the rest of the season and maybe the next few are going to offer tough times, IMO.

Blog Entries

I agree with this. Despite the record I see some alarming trends with this team, from the quarterback through the defensive secondary and the coaching staff. The way this season is playing out does remind me of 2007. I don't see many people talking about the hangover effect of losing a bitterly contested playoff game (albeit 2006 was at home) to an inferior team. I believe this has an effect. I don't see us finishing this season strong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    This edition of the Ravens may benefit from a weak AFC. But if you see a lot of positives from this team other than their record, we're watching a different team...hence the statement that the team is fading and a loss on Sunday IMO possibly sends this season spinning out of control. I hope I'm wrong!
    I agree they're not playing that well and Sunday is a must win, I just think it's too early to say their hopes are fading considering the position that they're currently in. I think Cincy would more fit that statement (currently).
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    I agree they're not playing that well and Sunday is a must win, I just think it's too early to say their hopes are fading considering the position that they're currently in. I think Cincy would more fit that statement (currently).
    I hear you but you'd have to admit their hopes aren't improving.

While I agree with some of the points above and yeah, this is probably a must win, I'm not sure I agree about Weeden. I think rather than enjoying having his WR back, he very well may end up running for his life trying to get away from a pissed off Suggs. I know the pass rush has been largely non-existent, but I think Suggs made a statement with his play 2 weeks ago and coming off this bye week, I just have this gut feeling that things might look a little different on that end.

Blog Entries

I just hope the defense has found a way to stop somebody or it's gonna be a long season

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!