Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Leach versus Grubbs

I like Leach as a player but I hated that contract when he got it and that hasn't changed. The Ravens overpaid big time for Leach.

Having said that Leach and Williams didn't cost the team Grubbs. They could have kept Grubbs if they really wanted to. In fact they came really close to doing so. Grubbs left because Grubbs wanted to leave not because the Ravens couldn't afford to keep him.

G is not a position that I worry about. I believe Osemele would make a tremendous G. But if you push him to G, you leave the T spots in shambles. Thats where the Ravens need to focus their attention and money.

Blog Entries

I don't think the Ravens overpaid for Leach at all, I think it was a bad signing because of what the Ravens do offensively. Leach is worth every penny of what he makes to a team that is run oriented, a team that puts him out there and lets him maul linebackers all game long, but on this team, that wants to chuck it all over the field 40+ times a game, he has almost no value.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I don't think the Ravens overpaid for Leach at all, I think it was a bad signing because of what the Ravens do offensively. Leach is worth every penny of what he makes to a team that is run oriented, a team that puts him out there and lets him maul linebackers all game long, but on this team, that wants to chuck it all over the field 40+ times a game, he has almost no value.
    Yes. Imagine how good the 49ers or the Seahawks would be with Leach lead blocking for Lynch or Gore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    a team that puts him out there and lets him maul linebackers all game long, but on this team, that wants to chuck it all over the field 40+ times a game, he has almost no value.
    Think about that for a moment. With a league that is devaluing big physical linebackers and allowing bigger more athletic TE's to be the new weapon of choice, Leach could be crushing all these new faster but significantly lighter LB'ers the 1st half of games, then come late 3rd quarter when the opposing team is on the 3rd and 4th string ILB's the whole middle of the field would be opened up for Boldin, Rice, Leach, Dickson and Pitta....:D

Blog Entries

I've said it before, and backed it up with stats, that Rice would be just as good if not better in a singleback set. Soeone else mentioned his yards per carry with and without Leach in proving the point.

Now that being said, the truth has been said. Grubbs wasn't staying here, period. And I doubt if you added on Leach's salary to what we offered that it would've changed his mind. HOWEVER I would've gladly paid that to say a starting caliber LT, or even another LG. I'd even throw in McKinneys salary(which I'm SHOCKED we're paying).

Really the OL woes start and end with the drunk. Other teams are starting far less talented players and are having much more success. It also points at Cam who needs to gameplan better and realize the line just isn't giving Joe time. You need to slow down that 4 man rush and give Joe another second, which is about the average he's behind in time for the league average. Actually think it's almost closer to 1.5 but still.

I would gladly trade Leach for an upgrade on the oline. That does not mean overpaying for Grubbs. Bottom line is that more successfuly running teams like the 49ers and do not see it necessary to pay for a Leach. In fact the Texans who are probably the best running team have moved away from the traditional fullback to more of TE/HB type of player. They use a low cost traditional full back on short yardage plays. The issues with the Ravens like in scheme, oline coaching and play calling. Plenty of well coached offensive teams have overcome youth, injuries and questionable talent to field a decent to above average oline.

I wish we allocated that Leach money for someone on D. Thats where we have serious talent issues.

i don't see where you think we don't have talent on the o-line. i think with the talent we have that grubbs was expendable. the question is how we are using that talent on the o-line.

if this ere a discussuon between leach and a defensive line player i would agree since we don;t have talnet on the d-line other than nghta.