Big name and skill position players often receive most of the attention around the NFL and fans. However, I am fond of looking at some of the other positions and their impact upon the team. So for the bye week, a little "Monday Morning GM" here with a question...

Now that you know about the shambles that our offensive line has been so far this season, if you could have chosen between Ben Grubbs or Vonta Leach, who would you have kept and who would you have let go this past off season?

My (highly questionable) logic here. First off, I know the math isn't exactly right but it is close enough for arguments sake. Vonta Leach is costing us approximately $3.5 million per season. Bobbie Williams is making about $1 million per season or $4.5 million between the two. Ben Grubbs is making about $7 million per season with the Saints. This means that if Ozzie had jettisoned Leach and never signed Williams, he could have locked up a young, Pro Bowl guard for another $2.5 million per season, which is not a fortune in the NFL. Granted, Ozzie would have had to make some more "minor" moves to fit Grubbs under the cap but it would certainly have been within reach without Williams and Leach.

In addition, getting back to my initial statement at looking how "other" players impact the team, I felt that Grubbs was one of the key components to our team last year and stated prior to this season that he would be missed more than people expected. Last year he was injured for 6-games which were arguably some of our least cohesive offensive games. Remember the Titans & Jags games? He missed those games. We were 4 & 2 without Grubbs which included our two worse offensive outputs of the season. We were 8 & 2 with Grubbs. (I know, rather simplistic but just saying and for those counting, we were 4 & 0 without Lewis).

I love Leach and his work ethic but for my money, I would have preferred to lock up another Pro Bowl guard in Grubbs instead of a fullback who only plays half the offensive downs. IMHO the offense starts with the offensive line.

What are your thoughts? Perhaps you could argue that Grubbs career in New Orleans has been less than stellar to date or Leach is the only positive in our running game (besides Rice of course)...