Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2021222324 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Margus Hunt, 6'8" 280lbs.

Ridiculously athletic. Who knows how good he could be. Could be as good as Calais Campbell or along those lines.

Really REALLY raw though.
    Very raw indeed.

What round are these 2 players projected at? I'm torn because DT is the biggest need on this team followed closely by MLB. I want Cj Mosley but it seems that MLB is deep this year and DT is not. Who are some solid late DT prospects? We need another passrusher opposite Suggs, we've all been saying that for years. Seems like we have so many needs or wants and not enough picks, these comp picks this year will be huge!

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Anquan Boldin is more than good enough now, just look at his stats. We don't need receivers right now, talk to me about that in 2014. Most of our picks and FA signings next year should be all on defense, and a few Olinemen.
    I am not sure Boldin will still be here next year if he does not restructure his contract. He is worth the 7.5m he is due to make next year. Not sure if Doss has the potential to replace Boldin in the slot or not. I wish they would get him more snaps. He has looked good in the few snaps he has gotten.

The defense does not have as many holes as people think. They have basically been playing most of the year without McPHee and Suggs. Ngata has also been banged up. With those guys back they need depth at DE and NT. They need a replacement for Lewis if Ellerbe is back. They need a replacement for Reed. On the Oline the only thing they should pick up is a true LT. They have enough RTs and Guard potential guys. They need to determine if Gino can play center. At a minimum they need need a back up C. Also may need a corner depending on Webb, Williams and Smith development.

Not sure I would use a first rounder on a LB that could not rush the QB. Ball Hawking play maker at safety if one is available.

Blog Entries

Considering how cap strapped they may be after signing Flacco (or tagging him), they may not be able to shell out 7.5 mill for Boldin.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Considering how cap strapped they may be after signing Flacco (or tagging him), they may not be able to shell out 7.5 mill for Boldin.
    By whatever method, we need to dump salary IMO and frankly I don't care who.

The reality on Boldin is 1) a replacement FA of comparable or better performance will be pricier, 2) Doss's durability is still in question, 3) we do/will have the picks to trade for a vet WR, 4) there is some pretty good top end talent coming out, but not as much depth as the past 2-3 years.

I'll stop there b/c my phone is fritzing...
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Very true...imo the most likely casualties are Boldin at that 7.5 number, Mcclain at 4.2, and Birk at 3.4.

We've discussed this quite often, Boldin is a very solid player, just not worthy of that cap #, he doesnt really seperate and that isnt gonna do anything but get worse at his age. I'd much rather keep Jacoby at his # for next year, continue to develop Doss and maybe add a shifty slot guy in the draft.

Ellerbe has really blossomed as a player and i'd hate to lose him because Mcclain makes too much.

Not sure how ready Gradkowski will be by next year but Birk hasnt been very good so if they could bulk Grad up during the offseason and let him gain experience and take his lumps maybe he could be serviceable in year 2.

Blog Entries

Jacoby could also be a casualty. He is due to earn $4 mill next year.

I'd actually like to see them rework his deal so he is here for another 2 years after this year and lower his cap number.

Jacoby could also be a casualty. He is due to earn $4 mill next year.

I'd actually like to see them rework his deal so he is here for another 2 years after this year and lower his cap number.
    Yea at 4 million he most certaintly could, every kick he runs back and big play he makes will make it harder for the Ravens to get him to take a paycut lol, but i've been happy with Jacoby, would def. like to see this happen.

Not sure if you guys saw this but Brandon Jenkins from Florida St. is entering the draft despite the injury.

Blog Entries

The Ravens aren't going to cut Boldin. The cap strapped thing is a little exaggerated around here, we are said to be 15 million under the cap going into 2013. Cut Bobbie Williams, Jameel McClain, and Matt Birk, and you have more than enough to sign Flacco or at least franchise him. The funny thing is, it's all speculation from this board on what Flacco is really going to get paid, people have even said as much as what Brees got, which IMO wouldn't be fair on the Ravens because Flacco simpy hasn't been as good as Brees and hasn't won a SB. If Flacco wins a SB this year, I say he deserves a Eli Manning/Be Roethlisberger type deal.

The point is, we should be able to keep Boldin, and should be able to re sign Flacco. All we need then is to stock up on the defense through the draft, and sign some reasonably priced vets, ala Cory Redding.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The Ravens aren't going to cut Boldin. The cap strapped thing is a little exaggerated around here, we are said to be 15 million under the cap going into 2013. Cut Bobbie Williams, Jameel McClain, and Matt Birk, and you have more than enough to sign Flacco or at least franchise him. The funny thing is, it's all speculation from this board on what Flacco is really going to get paid, people have even said as much as what Brees got, which IMO wouldn't be fair on the Ravens because Flacco simpy hasn't been as good as Brees and hasn't won a SB. If Flacco wins a SB this year, I say he deserves a Eli Manning/Be Roethlisberger type deal.

The point is, we should be able to keep Boldin, and should be able to re sign Flacco. All we need then is to stock up on the defense through the draft, and sign some reasonably priced vets, ala Cory Redding.
    I dont think the Ravens will carry Boldin at 7.5 and Jacoby at 4, just my opinion. They may both indeed be back but i dont think the Ravens keep Boldin unless that cap # comes down.

I think we will build mostly through the draft as always but under this scenario it would put alot of strain on this year's draft. Who plays FS next year? Will Grad be ready at C? Who plays corner, especially if Webb isnt ready? Whose the NT? Can we retain Ellerbe, Kruger, etc. Could use a bit more flexibility...
    Last edited by Carey; 11-21-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Not sure if you guys saw this but Brandon Jenkins from Florida St. is entering the draft despite the injury.
    Totally worth a 3rd round flyer.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner