Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1920212223 ... LastLast

Re: Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

Outstanding second round leach! and i like the Rambo pick. If we did go this way the first couple picks do you think we could address the D-Line with quality?

In this scenerio i like Gholston at the end of the 3rd possibly, i know he hasnt lived up to expectations as a pass rusher but he has the tools and already plays the run well. I think he has upside as a 3 down 5 tech. Although NT might be more pressing.

Also later in the draft i like Vellano, i think Wicked mentioned him early on but i was able to watch him recently and though he's a tweener he's a technician with a high motor, would love him in the 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Second round (48-60)

48. Miami Dolphins: Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
    The Dolphins gave away their best corner to Indi, so they should probably take a corner here to replace him. Poyer is a decent prospect, and is one of the more underrated corners in this draft.

49. Seattle Seahawks: Brennan Williams, OT, North Carolina
    The Seahawks have been good up front this year, but need to get a new right tackle, as Breno Giacomini is just awful. Russel Wilson is a QB who will always need good Oline play because of his size. If it wasn’t for his injury, Brennan Williams probably would have been a first round pick this year, with the way he was playing.

50. Miami Dolphins (From Indianapolis): Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
    The Dolphins traded away Brandon Marshal away before the season, so will need to get more weapons for Tannehill. Patterson has been a really solid number 3 receiver for Tennessee this year, and has good size.

51. Pittsburgh Steelers: Shyane Skov, ILB/OLB, Stanford
    The Steelers have a stud in Lawrence Timmons, but they still need an upgrade next to him, Larry Foote is just an average talent. Shayne Skov probably would have been a first round pick if it wasn’t for his injury last year. I think he still has time to rise his projection into the first round, he had a great game this week.

52. New York Giants: Gerald Hodges, OLB/ILB, Penn State
    The Giants need help at MLB, Chase Blackburn is terrible as a starter. I think that Hodges has major potential as a 4-3 LB in the NFL, he is the typical modern day athletic LB that is a perfect fit for todays league.

53. Green Bay Packers: Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
    Zach Ertz could be the potential replacement for Jermichael Finley who will be due 8 million dollars next year. He has totally underwhelmed for the Packers, and there is a good chance he’ll be looking for a new team in 2013.

54. New England Patriots: Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas
    Despite having a great season, there is a good chance that Welker won’t be back with the Patriots next season, so they will have to get another wideout. It’s already a need even with Welker on the team. Cobi Hamilton could offer the Patriots something they don’t have, a big bodied receiver who has speed.

55. Baltimore Ravens: Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
    The Ravens have some tough personnel decisions to make at the end of the season. Joe Flacco and Ed Reed’s contracts are both up, and both will cost a lot of money, and the Ravens will likely not have much cap room to work with. Ozzie has been good at working out contracts in the past to keep so many good players, but it all depends on how much Ed Reed wants. There is always the possibility of Reed retiring anyway because of his injury and age concerns, so I’d go with his replacement in who I think may be the best safety in this draft class if it wasn’t for his off the field issues.

56. Chicago Bears: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
    The Bears need help on the Oline, there can be nothing more said about that. Cooper is the best guard available at this point.

57. Houston Texans: Margus Hunt, DE/DT, SMU
    Margus Hunt will be a developmental player, but with a huge ceiling. The 6’7 DE is raw but would be a perfect fit for that attacking 3-4 defense that the Texans run. Imagine him and JJ Watt at both ends batting passes down with that combined height, yikes! Antonio Smith is a great player, but he will be a FA in 2014, so you may as well draft his eventual replacement sooner or later.

58. San Francisco 49ers: Travis Frederick, OC/OG, Wisconsin
    This is purely a depth singing and someone the 49ers can groom into their future starting center. The 49ers are built around their strength in the trenches on both sides of the ball, so this pick makes sense for them. Goodwin is a decent center, but he’ll be 34 next season and a FA in 2014. Travis Frederick is a huge inside lineman who could take over from Goodwin eventually. Frederick lacks ideal mobility of an NFL center, but he’s a good fit for the inside power scheme that the 9ers run up front.

59. Denver Broncos: Kevin Riddick, ILB, North Carolina
    The Broncos need a more athletic LB to compete with Joe Mays. Joe Mays appears to be a decet run stopper, but is terrible in coverage. Joe is better suited to a 3-4 scheme, and Denver run a 4-3, which is better suited for Riddick. Riddick has had a down year, but he’s still got a ton of upside, and could be a solid pick in the late second round.

60. Atlanta Falcons: Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky
    Peter Konz will likely take over from McClure at center, but the Falcons will need an upgrade at right guard. Larry Warford is a sleeper pick at guard.
    and Rambo would be an awesome jersey !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Outstanding second round leach! and i like the Rambo pick. If we did go this way the first couple picks do you think we could address the D-Line with quality?

In this scenerio i like Gholston at the end of the 3rd possibly, i know he hasnt lived up to expectations as a pass rusher but he has the tools and already plays the run well. I think he has upside as a 3 down 5 tech. Although NT might be more pressing.

Also later in the draft i like Vellano, i think Wicked mentioned him early on but i was able to watch him recently and though he's a tweener he's a technician with a high motor, would love him in the 5th.
    Big fan of Joe Vellano.

He is a tweener, but that dude has been a 5-tech DE for a few years now and he is such a damn good player. If he were 6'4" instead of 6'1", he'd probably be in contentions for a round 1 pick.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I was reading the transcript of a live chat that occurred earlier between Kevin Byrne and br.com readers and a question came up about draft needs. He went on to say that he was in Ozzie's office the other day and Ozzie was studying some guy from SMU. Any thoughts who this could possibly be?

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I was reading the transcript of a live chat that occurred earlier between Kevin Byrne and br.com readers and a question came up about draft needs. He went on to say that he was in Ozzie's office the other day and Ozzie was studying some guy from SMU. Any thoughts who this could possibly be?
    I forgot his name, but he is a really tall athletic freak playing DE. He doesn't have a lot of stats, but people look at him in the same "freakish athlete with not as much production" as they did with Pierre-Paul.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Margus Hunt

Margus Hunt would be my guess, big guy, has great upside as a 3 down 5 tech

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Big fan of Joe Vellano.

He is a tweener, but that dude has been a 5-tech DE for a few years now and he is such a damn good player. If he were 6'4" instead of 6'1", he'd probably be in contentions for a round 1 pick.
    I agree, after i watched him i looked at some of his numbers are just insane

Blog Entries

Margus Hunt is a freak, he's from Latvia and was a discuss champion in Europe or something, he can supposedly bench press 225 lbs 35 times, which is just amazing for a guy with his arm length. He has shown that he has huge potential and had 3 sacks in one game vs Pittsburgh last year, but he is strictly a 3-4 DE, so would probably be a decent fit for the Ravens. He's still very RAW though.

This team needs another freak within the front 7 for sure.
    I've spied Hunt a little, and another guy I like in the freak department is Ziggy Ansah out of BYU.
    I think Hunt is the greater freak, but Ansah has the greater upside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I forgot his name, but he is a really tall athletic freak playing DE. He doesn't have a lot of stats, but people look at him in the same "freakish athlete with not as much production" as they did with Pierre-Paul.
    Margus Hunt, 6'8" 280lbs.

Ridiculously athletic. Who knows how good he could be. Could be as good as Calais Campbell or along those lines.

Really REALLY raw though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    This team needs another freak within the front 7 for sure.
    I've spied Hunt a little, and another guy I like in the freak department is Ziggy Ansah out of BYU.
    I think Hunt is the greater freak, but Ansah has the greater upside.

Would love this dude.

Anyone who thinks that this team couldn't use or doesn't need a rush OLB needs to re-watch the MNF game between Chicago and San Fran.

Raise your hand if you'd love to see an Aldon Smith on this team. Dude went off last night for 5.5 sacks against Chicago.