Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I really hope that the Ravens don't screw KO up by trying to make him into something he is not. They seem to be in the process of doing just that with Flacco. IMO, KO can become an outstanding LG, but will be a slightly better than average RT, and who knows what he would be as a LT, but if he is having trouble handling speed rushers at RT, then he is going to get exposed at LT.
    Why is it that every offensive tackle other than McKinnie will only be slightly better than average?

For a rookie who was projected to be a guard, KO has done very well. Unlike Oher, he has the size and length to go along with a pretty nice skill set of athleticism. A lot of folks didn't think he would have the footwork to hang on the perimeter and even though he hasn't been perfect, I'd argue that he has exceeded a lot of people's expectations as an OT.

I'm glad they are giving him reps at LT. If anything, they're getting a good look at him as a LT in practice now to see where he needs improvement for next year (assuming they want him to be the LT).
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I know there is no chance we take him as we don't need anymore WR's, but man, I'd love to have Tavon Austin.

He reminds me so much of Antonio Brown.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I know there is no chance we take him as we don't need anymore WR's, but man, I'd love to have Tavon Austin.

He'd be awesome, but I'm hoping Stefon Diggs winds up in purple in a couple of years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Stedman Bailey is also a pretty good one.

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    He'd be awesome, but I'm hoping Stefon Diggs winds up in purple in a couple of years.
    If that kid keeps it up, we won't have a shot at him...he's looking to be a future top 5 NFL pick.

He has all the physical skills you could want, runs like the wind, good hands, amazing in the open field. But what I love most about him is his competitiveness and enthusiasm...I don't think I've ever seen a Maryland football player like him.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I'm watching the USC/Oregon game right now.

Couple of Oregon guys have really stood out to me:

Kyle Long, OG (Howie Long's other son). He is 6'6" 310lbs and he moves really well. Oregon's offense is REALLY high tempo, so it is impressive seeing their linemen consistently getting into 2nd level blocking.

Taylor Hart, DT, 6'6" 290lbs. In Oregon's D he is playing stand up DE, which is impressive for his size. He's good. He has some nice moves and he has put a lot of pressure on Barkley tonight. He also drops into zone coverage and covered TE's. I like this guy a lot. Could be a nice sleeper pick for Baltimore.

Oregon has two freshman DL'men who are going to be VERY good by the the time they are juniors. Arik Armestead (6'8" 285lbs) and DeForrest Bucker (6'7" 270lbs).

I don't know how he'd fit into Baltimore's defense, but Michael Clay is a good looking linebacker. He's a bit on the small side though. 5'11" 225lbs...could be a good ST'er though.

Man, I really, really hope we get some good comp picks.

It would be freaking awesome if we could get a 3rd for Grubbs along with maybe a 4 or 5 for JJ

Blog Entries

If he is there, do you think the Ravens would pull the trigger on Dion Jordan? I hear good things about him as a passrusher and apparently he is really good in coverage which would definitely help... the only thing I see which is a bit worrying is he seems a bit on the light side for NFL 3-4. and I wonder how effective he would be with more weight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    If he is there, do you think the Ravens would pull the trigger on Dion Jordan? I hear good things about him as a passrusher and apparently he is really good in coverage which would definitely help... the only thing I see which is a bit worrying is he seems a bit on the light side for NFL 3-4. and I wonder how effective he would be with more weight.
    I dont know. I think it honestly depends on who else is there.

That said, pass rusher isn't exactly a "plentiful" position right now. So, I think that there may be some reason to believe that the Ravens could go pass rusher if one they like is there.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I will release my full mock draft later but here are who I expect the Ravens to go with, or there abouts.

1. (projected at pick 26 right now)- Taylor Lewan (6'8, 302 lbs), OT, Michigan.
    The Ravens need to rebuild what has made them a great team for the last decade, the trenches on both sides of the ball. People are screaming for a LB, but that can wait for now, I am a strong believer that you win in the trenches. Taylor Lewan not only addresses our need at LT, but it also allows everyone on our line to move around into their best possible positions. Taylor Lewan is a natural LT, who is a better run blocker than pass blocker at this point, but there are only some small issues he needs to address in pass protection, other than that, he holds up pretty well in pass pro. Against Alabama he held his own against one of the better front 7 in college ball. If this pick goes through, the projected 2013 Oline should be Lewan-KO-Gino-Yanda-Oher. That is a much stronger line IMO and is a big athletic line that can work perfectly in both a ball control offense, but also a sugar huddle offense at the same time.

2. Louis Nix (6'5, 335 lbs), NT/DT, Notre Dame
    Louis Nix is just slightly below Jon Jenkins as a NT, but he is also more versatile than Jon Jenkins. Nix can play in both a 4-3 and a 3-4, and would be a perfect fit as a NT in our 3-4 scheme. NT is the biggest need on out team right now, as Terrance Cody or Kemo just can't get it done, which is effecting our whole front 7, particularly our ILB'S. ILB is a big need, but whoever we have there next year is going to look a whole lot better with an upgrade at the NT position. Nix brings a lot of pressure up the middle, and has been having a very very solid season for Notre Dame. I would be slightly surprised if he actually falls to us in the second once the combine comes and goes, but for now, he has a second round projection. In a pinch, I actually think Nix could move over to 5 technique if needed, as he is very athletic for his size.

3. Kevin Riddick (6'3, 240 lbs), ILB, North Carolina.
    Kevin Riddick was a fringe first round pick before this year, he has been having disappointing senior year so far. I think this is why he may fall to the third round, which would give us the perfect opportunity to draft a guy with huge upside, and somebody who could offer us something we just don't have on the team, which is a very athletic LB who can drop back into coverage. Riddick is arguably the most athletic ILB in this class, but he has to be more consistent as a player on the field. ILB is a big need on this team, and I think if you get a big NT who can eat up blockers, our ILB's will look better. We could release Jameel McClain as he's been disappointing since signing that contract with us, resign Dannell Elerbee to a cheap price, and maybe bring in a Erin Henderson through FA, or even a bigger name like Daryl Smith, then your ILB corps looks a lot better than it has this year. Of course there is always the chance of Ray Lewis returning for one more year, which would be a great boost for the LB corps.
    It is highly unlikely Louis Nix is coming out. His mom would beat his arse if he did not finish up and get his degree. He is a great kid and would love to see him in Baltimore but it would probably be next year. Next year he and his line mate Stephon Tuitt look like top 10 picks.

Blog Entries

Another Golden Domer coming out this year that many aren't talking about is Kapron Lewis-Moore. He's been a pretty solid 3-4 5-technique DE.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Another Golden Domer coming out this year that many aren't talking about is Kapron Lewis-Moore. He's been a pretty solid 3-4 5-technique DE.
    KLM would be very good rotational player with McPhee. KLM is good against the run and can get solid pressure at times. I am a HUGE ND fan and follow the team very closely.