Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    KLM would be very good rotational player with McPhee. KLM is good against the run and can get solid pressure at times. I am a HUGE ND fan and follow the team very closely.
    What round should he go in?

First time chiming in in this thread, so don't know if it's been brought up (obviously not going to sift through the thread to do so).

-Anyway thoughts on bringing in Dwight Freeney? Yes, he's older but maybe a new surrounding will do him well, i.e. Trevor Price
    -Also, the same with Glenn Dorsey from KC? Former first rounder that didn't measure up and is likely out at the end of the season. Still young and maybe in the need for a change of team/locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by MD Boy View Post
    First time chiming in in this thread, so don't know if it's been brought up (obviously not going to sift through the thread to do so).

-Anyway thoughts on bringing in Dwight Freeney? Yes, he's older but maybe a new surrounding will do him well, i.e. Trevor Price
    -Also, the same with Glenn Dorsey from KC? Former first rounder that didn't measure up and is likely out at the end of the season. Still young and maybe in the need for a change of team/locker room.
    Never happen.

No way Ozzie is going to pick up an LB via FA that wants one last pay day in Freeney. I could see us signing an under the radar kind of player like Conor Barwin though.

As for Dorsey, too many injuries and is a 4-3 linebacker. I don't see us spending money on a guy who'd end up being a situational LB in our scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Not as draft knowledgeable as others but I see him being around the 4th give or take based on combine numbers. He shows quickness and good 40 time he may go up. He was injured last year so durability is working against him.

No idea where, but I read last week that Freeney is struggling in the 3-4 to boot. And as I posted last week, according to PFF.com he's only a slightly better than Kruger vs. the pass, and slightly worse than Kruger vs. the run. Still, his high cost would still be the driving factor behind "no deal".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Never happen.

No way Ozzie is going to pick up an LB via FA that wants one last pay day in Freeney. I could see us signing an under the radar kind of player like Conor Barwin though.

As for Dorsey, too many injuries and is a 4-3 linebacker. I don't see us spending money on a guy who'd end up being a situational LB in our scheme.
    Dorsey is a DE. or a 4-3 DT. I'd take a looksie to place opposite Ngata, and may just be the help we need. Average's about the same aount of tackles as Ngata, but with a few less sacks which is surprising cause thats what he was boosted as coming out of college.

Never happen.

He'll be 33 by next season. Think anyone will be giving a massive payout to an older linbebacker? I guess there's always that one team, but I was thinking a more cap friendly deal for someone his age and the playing time he will put in.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Dorsey is a DE. or a 4-3 DT. I'd take a looksie to place opposite Ngata, and may just be the help we need. Average's about the same aount of tackles as Ngata, but with a few less sacks which is surprising cause thats what he was boosted as coming out of college.
    And yes, Dorsey's been oft injured but I agree, him on the opposite side of Ngata would obviously help against the run and still be able to get to the QB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MD Boy View Post
    He'll be 33 by next season. Think anyone will be giving a massive payout to an older linbebacker? I guess there's always that one team, but I was thinking a more cap friendly deal for someone his age and the playing time he will put in.

And yes, Dorsey's been oft injured but I agree, him on the opposite side of Ngata would obviously help against the run and still be able to get to the QB.
    Dunno looked at his stats, started 15 games in 09, all 16 in 2010, 15 in 2011, but banged up this year. Dunno if I'd call that often injured as Ngata has missed more games.

Blog Entries

Not as draft knowledgeable as others but I see him being around the 4th give or take based on combine numbers. He shows quickness and good 40 time he may go up. He was injured last year so durability is working against him.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Right now the 4th seems like a good assessment. He's kind of built like Art Jones, but a little taller. Like srobert said, he's a good run defender, but he doesn't bring a whole lot to the table as a pass rusher, but I'd be thrilled with him in the 4th or 5th rounds.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Never happen.

I'm not quite sure why you'd consider Connor Barwin an "under the radar" player.

IMO, he is likely to be the top 3-4 player available next spring if the Texans don't re-sign him.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

11. Re: Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

KLM would be very good rotational player with McPhee. KLM is good against the run and can get solid pressure at times. I am a HUGE ND fan and follow the team very closely.
    I am an alumnus and watch all of their games as well. In addition to being a great fit at 3-4 DE Kapron is the hands-down leader of ND's defensive line, one of the top units in the nation. You aren't named a captain of the ND football team for just being a great player. KLM arguably provides just as much leadership to ND's defense as their other famous captain, Manti Te'o. He has put on 75 pounds since arriving in South Bend and plays around 305, bigger than I thought because he carries it well and has surprising mobility. I agree, his strength is playing the run and occupying blockers. So far he has gathered 29 tackles (11 solo), 4.5 TFL, 3.5 sacks, 1 PD, 7 QB hurries through 9 games. His 2011 knee injury could hurt his draft stock but he is also a character guy and a big presence in the locker room, hopefully someone the Ravens would be ready to pounce on in the mid- to late rounds.
    Long days and pleasant nights.

Chiefs waived Stanford Routt. Any interest?