Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

I really hope that the Ravens don't screw KO up by trying to make him into something he is not. They seem to be in the process of doing just that with Flacco. IMO, KO can become an outstanding LG, but will be a slightly better than average RT, and who knows what he would be as a LT, but if he is having trouble handling speed rushers at RT, then he is going to get exposed at LT.

Blog Entries

I will release my full mock draft later but here are who I expect the Ravens to go with, or there abouts.

1. (projected at pick 26 right now)- Taylor Lewan (6'8, 302 lbs), OT, Michigan.
    The Ravens need to rebuild what has made them a great team for the last decade, the trenches on both sides of the ball. People are screaming for a LB, but that can wait for now, I am a strong believer that you win in the trenches. Taylor Lewan not only addresses our need at LT, but it also allows everyone on our line to move around into their best possible positions. Taylor Lewan is a natural LT, who is a better run blocker than pass blocker at this point, but there are only some small issues he needs to address in pass protection, other than that, he holds up pretty well in pass pro. Against Alabama he held his own against one of the better front 7 in college ball. If this pick goes through, the projected 2013 Oline should be Lewan-KO-Gino-Yanda-Oher. That is a much stronger line IMO and is a big athletic line that can work perfectly in both a ball control offense, but also a sugar huddle offense at the same time.

2. Louis Nix (6'5, 335 lbs), NT/DT, Notre Dame
    Louis Nix is just slightly below Jon Jenkins as a NT, but he is also more versatile than Jon Jenkins. Nix can play in both a 4-3 and a 3-4, and would be a perfect fit as a NT in our 3-4 scheme. NT is the biggest need on out team right now, as Terrance Cody or Kemo just can't get it done, which is effecting our whole front 7, particularly our ILB'S. ILB is a big need, but whoever we have there next year is going to look a whole lot better with an upgrade at the NT position. Nix brings a lot of pressure up the middle, and has been having a very very solid season for Notre Dame. I would be slightly surprised if he actually falls to us in the second once the combine comes and goes, but for now, he has a second round projection. In a pinch, I actually think Nix could move over to 5 technique if needed, as he is very athletic for his size.

3. Kevin Riddick (6'3, 240 lbs), ILB, North Carolina.
    Kevin Riddick was a fringe first round pick before this year, he has been having disappointing senior year so far. I think this is why he may fall to the third round, which would give us the perfect opportunity to draft a guy with huge upside, and somebody who could offer us something we just don't have on the team, which is a very athletic LB who can drop back into coverage. Riddick is arguably the most athletic ILB in this class, but he has to be more consistent as a player on the field. ILB is a big need on this team, and I think if you get a big NT who can eat up blockers, our ILB's will look better. We could release Jameel McClain as he's been disappointing since signing that contract with us, resign Dannell Elerbee to a cheap price, and maybe bring in a Erin Henderson through FA, or even a bigger name like Daryl Smith, then your ILB corps looks a lot better than it has this year. Of course there is always the chance of Ray Lewis returning for one more year, which would be a great boost for the LB corps.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I will release my full mock draft later but here are who I expect the Ravens to go with, or there abouts.

The Ravens need to rebuild what has made them a great team for the last decade, the trenches on both sides of the ball. People are screaming for a LB, but that can wait for now, I am a strong believer that you win in the trenches. Taylor Lewan not only addresses our need at LT, but it also allows everyone on our line to move around into their best possible positions. Taylor Lewan is a natural LT, who is a better run blocker than pass blocker at this point, but there are only some small issues he needs to address in pass protection, other than that, he holds up pretty well in pass pro. Against Alabama he held his own against one of the better front 7 in college ball. If this pick goes through, the projected 2013 Oline should be Lewan-KO-Gino-Yanda-Oher. That is a much stronger line IMO and is a big athletic line that can work perfectly in both a ball control offense, but also a sugar huddle offense at the same time.

Louis Nix is just slightly below Jon Jenkins as a NT, but he is also more versatile than Jon Jenkins. Nix can play in both a 4-3 and a 3-4, and would be a perfect fit as a NT in our 3-4 scheme. NT is the biggest need on out team right now, as Terrance Cody or Kemo just can't get it done, which is effecting our whole front 7, particularly our ILB'S. ILB is a big need, but whoever we have there next year is going to look a whole lot better with an upgrade at the NT position. Nix brings a lot of pressure up the middle, and has been having a very very solid season for Notre Dame. I would be slightly surprised if he actually falls to us in the second once the combine comes and goes, but for now, he has a second round projection. In a pinch, I actually think Nix could move over to 5 technique if needed, as he is very athletic for his size.

Kevin Riddick was a fringe first round pick before this year, he has been having disappointing senior year so far. I think this is why he may fall to the third round, which would give us the perfect opportunity to draft a guy with huge upside, and somebody who could offer us something we just don't have on the team, which is a very athletic LB who can drop back into coverage. Riddick is arguably the most athletic ILB in this class, but he has to be more consistent as a player on the field. ILB is a big need on this team, and I think if you get a big NT who can eat up blockers, our ILB's will look better. We could release Jameel McClain as he's been disappointing since signing that contract with us, resign Dannell Elerbee to a cheap price, and maybe bring in a Erin Henderson through FA, or even a bigger name like Daryl Smith, then your ILB corps looks a lot better than it has this year. Of course there is always the chance of Ray Lewis returning for one more year, which would be a great boost for the LB corps.
    Quite frankly, this would be a home run for our first 3 picks. I LOVE all 3 of these guys--my only reservation about this draft would be that Taylor Lewan is probably not ready to be a day 1 starter in his rookie season. He needs a good bit of refinement in his game at this point. Nix is an absolute bear. LOVE what he's doing at Notre Dame right now. He's a man among boys out there--maybe my favorite player in the entire draft. I don't see him lasting that deep into the 2nd, though. Kevin Reddick has huuuuge upside even if he hasn't played up to it since 2010. I'm really not sure what's holding him back because I KNOW he has the instincts and football smarts. I like him a lot as a player and see him as a future starting 3-down ILB in the NFL. I think he'd be really good as the sideline-to-sideline "Mike" that Ray Lewis used to be.

The only downside to these picks is that there is not a FS among them and this team needs to have a solution at the FS spot in 2013. My preference would be to sign Kenny Phillips, who looks increasingly expendable in New York with the emergence of Stevie Brown.

^ Dream scenario there: potentially fixing the OLine by infusing youth, and hell, we'd probably have one of the youngest and most athletic lines in the league at that point. Then, we'd also be fixing our front seven with studs.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    ^ Dream scenario there: potentially fixing the OLine by infusing youth, and hell, we'd probably have one of the youngest and most athletic lines in the league at that point. Then, we'd also be fixing our front seven with studs.
    Word. Birk and Williams will both be gone for 2013. At that point, Yanda becomes the grey beard of the group at age 29.
    Oher would be next oldest at 27...and then we would have nothing but 23-26 year olds, especially if we are able to draft and not sign our LT, and assuming Gino can step in at C.

And while I'm not happy about it happening, OL long-term cohesion is probably a strong factor in the FO's desire to resign Oher.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Quite frankly, this would be a home run for our first 3 picks. I LOVE all 3 of these guys--my only reservation about this draft would be that Taylor Lewan is probably not ready to be a day 1 starter in his rookie season. He needs a good bit of refinement in his game at this point. Nix is an absolute bear. LOVE what he's doing at Notre Dame right now. He's a man among boys out there--maybe my favorite player in the entire draft. I don't see him lasting that deep into the 2nd, though. Kevin Reddick has huuuuge upside even if he hasn't played up to it since 2010. I'm really not sure what's holding him back because I KNOW he has the instincts and football smarts. I like him a lot as a player and see him as a future starting 3-down ILB in the NFL. I think he'd be really good as the sideline-to-sideline "Mike" that Ray Lewis used to be.

The only downside to these picks is that there is not a FS among them and this team needs to have a solution at the FS spot in 2013. My preference would be to sign Kenny Phillips, who looks increasingly expendable in New York with the emergence of Stevie Brown.
    Yeah, we are certainly on the same page here.

I think Taylor Lewan COULD be ready to start, and if he struggles at LT, you could always play him at RT and let him develop and then eventually switch him and Oher, Oher is a serviceable LT and can survive there for another year if needed, especially if we're only going to be paying him RT money. The reason why he will go late in the first is for the reasons you stated pretty much. I'm not really a big believer in sitting high picks and expecting them to develop on the bench, I always like having them out there experiencing NFL game time, and learning from their mistakes. Obviously you can't do that with 4th and 5th round picks.

The Louis Nix pick really was a wishful pick by me at the time, because I have other teams going for a lot of needs over BPA, which back drops a bunch of good players like Nix, I just hope that happens because he really is a great prospect, I would trade up in the second if he starts to drop.

Kevin Riddick is pretty much what you said he is, I am secretly hoping that he continues to have a quiet year, because if he drops into the 3rd, he would be a GREAT value pick.

As for safeties, I kind of see safety as a need but not as a great need as Dline, LB and OL. I think if Reed walks/retires, Ozzie is either going to get a Kenny Phillips (who I really like too btw) or he's going to draft a safety in the 4th round to compete with the kid we drafted this year, although, I don't consider him to be any where near ready yet, so I think safety becomes a big need in FA depending on what happens to Reed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Word. Birk and Williams will both be gone for 2013. At that point, Yanda becomes the grey beard of the group at age 29.
    Oher would be next oldest at 27...and then we would have nothing but 23-26 year olds, especially if we are able to draft and not sign our LT, and assuming Gino can step in at C.

And while I'm not happy about it happening, OL long-term cohesion is probably a strong factor in the FO's desire to resign Oher.
    I think me and you have mentioned the possibility of playing Yanda at C, because I really am not all that sure on Gino right now. I just hope he's been working out with Ronnie Coleman, because he was lacking size and strength from what I seen of him in the pre season. What he DOES have, and what I do think Ozzie seen in him was a real quick first step and the ability to get to the second level very quickly, I did see him do that in the pre season. If Gino can do that while being 310-315 lbs, and knowing the defensive alignments and knowing what blocking calls to make, then I think we're good to go with Gino.

I think me and you have mentioned the possibility of playing Yanda at C, because I really am not all that sure on Gino right now. I just hope he's been working out with Ronnie Coleman, because he was lacking size and strength from what I seen of him in the pre season. What he DOES have, and what I do think Ozzie seen in him was a real quick first step and the ability to get to the second level very quickly, I did see him do that in the pre season. If Gino can do that while being 310-315 lbs, and knowing the defensive alignments and knowing what blocking calls to make, then I think we're good to go with Gino.
    Yes sir, and even though his lack of size (even vs. #3s and #4s in the PS) is/was disturbing, I would agree.

Two things give me hope with Gino.
    He's learning from Birk and he's going to have two huge guards flanking him.

Blog Entries

Interestingly the patriots seem to have traded for Talib...

Blog Entries

I'm not ready to give up on Cody yet. Why o Why he regressed and suddenly we have a guy that normally would be picked up off the wire midway through the season, or at best a TC injury depth pickup starting is beyond me.

Really we NEED that guy opposite Ngata to be able to stuff the run AND get to the QB, or someone at least CLOSE to Ngata. This should be a Rnd 1 pick, with trading up in the 2nd to get that ILB or FS that can start right away. The days of starting UFA along our LB core needs to be over. They were there asback-ups and situational players at best. Ellerbe, McClain, etc.... with McClain already being resigned you better stick someone next to him thats a star.

Personally I think hings get better now that Suggs is back, THAT alone changes ALOT. Upshaw is in that JJ spot and doing just fine, bring in Kruger as that situational pass rusher(And say goodbye to him next year) and draft someone in the later rounds for that spot.

Blog Entries

I don't think by drafting a guy like Louis Nix would mean they are giving up on Cody. Nix can play DT or DE in the 3-4 and frankly, he's a better pass rusher than what Cody is, so Nix could move down to NT and Cody would sub out for McPhee or whoever during passing situations.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Nix is one of my favorite guys in this draft. I'm not sure if he'll come out or not yet. He may, but keep in mind that he is a RS Sophomore, so technically he could stick around for another year or two. Come January if he isn't regarded by draft consultants as a 1st round pick, then he may just stay in school 1 more season, come out in 2014, and likely be a top 15 pick.

Regarding Kevin Reddick...ehhh...I'm not totally in love with that as a 3rd round pick. I think there are a lot better options in round 3...maybe not necessarily a MLB...but there are likely better overall players than Reddick. Reddick hasn't really been that great this year either, according to a lot of reports. I haven't personally watched any North Carolina games this year, but everything I've read makes me think that Reddick is a decent run stopper, but sucks in coverage. The Ravens don't need another LB like that. I think if Reddick is there in the 5th or 6th rounds, that would be good value because of the upside, but a lot of 3rd round picks you'd like to see contribute within the first year or two of them being drafted and I don't see Reddick being ready for a few years and that's assuming he can be more than a 2-down linebacker, which I'm not convinced that he can be.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.