Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking at the off-season: Navorro Bowman

Do you see the Ravens making a play at Navorro Bowman? Doesnt look like we'll be in position to go after Mante Tio and Bowman is set to be a RFA this off-season... he'll get the 1st round tender. I cant see the 49ers retaining him and patrick willis.

Do we throw a 1st round pick at him, assuming we dont tank this year and get a top 10 pick?

Blog Entries

Re: Looking at the off-season: Navorro Bowman

Bowman is signed through 2013. By 2014 the Niners will resign him or franchise him. No way they let him go. It's just like what the did with Pat Willis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Bowman is signed through 2013. By 2014 the Niners will resign him or franchise him. No way they let him go. It's just like what the did with Pat Willis.
    I so wanted to trade up to get Willis....

Well that ends the discussion of acquiring Bowman LOL

If Bowman were to hit the market he would be one of the TOP Fa's out there, you would be bidding against all but 2 or 3 teams. No way the Ravens would get him anyway.

Blog Entries

Bowman is one of the best 3-4 ILB's in the league. He'd be an ideal candidate, but as GOTA and others have pointed out, he will be re-signed in San Fran for a long time.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Maybe we can change this discussion to be more about 2013 FA defenders in general that the Ravens could have an interest in? Obviously Bowman is not one of them since he's not an FA at all.

There are two defensive players I think the Ravens would do well to pursue in 2013: Kenny Phillips and Daryl Smith.

Phillips is a center-field FS who would be a more than adequate replacement for Ed Reed, arguably an improvement over what Ed Reed can offer at this point in his career.

Daryl Smith has only ever played in the 4-3, but he is one of the best and most underrated LBs in the league, he is outstanding in every facet of the game and I think he'd play great at Mike ILB. Again, he would be a significant improvement on what Ray Lewis can offer at this point in his career.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    If Bowman were to hit the market he would be one of the TOP Fa's out there, you would be bidding against all but 2 or 3 teams. No way the Ravens would get him anyway.

Espcially when they sign Joe. If he gets his $100M, there won't be
    room for anyone else. We already lost 5 guys last year cause we
    were so close to the cap ceiling and even more will leave this
    year.

UGH!

Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

I know this is VERY premature, but let's say the defense does not pull a complete 180 for the rest of the season, and remains a bottom-10 or bottom-16 unit in the NFL. I would think major changes would be on the horizon, certainly a change of DC should be on the table as well as personnel changes. I want to look at what personnel changes the Ravens could make to be a better unit in 2013.

Lots of posters have commented on the apparent lack of talent overall on the defense given how many of the Ravens' early defensive picks of the last few drafts have busted or otherwise disappointed. Here's a look at defense in the first 3 rounds over the last 5 years:

2008 - Gooden (BUST), Zbikowski (Disappointment, no longer a Raven)
    2009 - Kruger (Disappointment, unlikely to be a Raven in 2013)
    2010 - Kindle (BUST), Cody (Disappointment/possibly BUST, if he plays all of 2012 as he has thus far)
    2011 - Smith (Jury's still out - not impressive thus far)
    2012 - Upshaw (Jury's still out - appears to be on the right track)

That's 0 definite hits and 2 "maybe's," one of which is trending up and one of which is trending down. That is a damn poor hit rate and something needs to change, and soon. I would argue that if 2012 closes as it has started, the Ravens need to prioritize improving the defense and make some moves in free agency in 2013. I would highlight the key areas (in no particular order) as ILB, DT/DE, and S.

The top defensive player I would look at in the 2013 FA class is Kenny Phillips. He is already one of the best safeties in the league, excellent in coverage and run support, with great range. He plays a lot of SS for the Giants but would be a great fit at Cover-1 FS. He is 25 years old and would be an improvement over Ed Reed, who I see as unlikely to be resigned next year anyway. The downside is that he will surely be a hot commodity and the Giants will get first crack to resign or franchise him.

The next best player I see in the class is Daryl Smith. He is one of the best and most underrated LBs in the league, and has played all 3 4-3 LB spots. He has never played in a true 3-4, but the Jaguars have used 3-4 looks in the past and he's done well. He is absolutely rock solid in every phase of the game and would be a worthy successor to Ray Lewis while we search for a more long-term guy in the draft. He's 31 years old and is sure to have at least one more long contract left in him.

At DT/DE, Isaac Sopoaga, Alan Branch, and Randy Starks are all younger guys with 3-4 experience and all 3 can play DT, 5-tech DE, and NT. All have been very solid against the run and would represent significant upgrades to the DL rotation.

This is also a goldmine draft for defense. There are great names at every defensive position that should be available for the Ravens: Kevin Reddick, Shane Skov, Manti Te'o, and many others at LB, Eric Reid and Tony Jefferson at S, Jonathan Jenkins at NT. Any one of those guys would be a big talent upgrade for defense and I think that's where the Ravens need to go, with or without additions in FA.

Any opinions?

Blog Entries

Re: Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

I think Smith is going to be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I think Smith is going to be great.
    :word

I think Cody needs to gain some weight back too.

Connor Barwin is on my short list for FA pick ups next season.