Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Don't understand all the hype around Connor Bawrin here. He's had like two sacks this year, he isn't going to be a huge sought after guy like Mario Williams was. Bawrin will probably be signed to a fair deal somewhere like Indianapolis who are building up their new 3-4 defensive system.
    Oh, you mean that guy who got nearly $100 million and only has 4 sacks? :D

Barwin may be having a down year so far, but so is Brooks Reed. They could very easily turn it on the 2nd half of the season. Who knows what is going on? Maybe Barwin isn't 100%, but is still out there like Ngata is here?

I don't think any Ravens fan in their right mind would turn down Connor Barwin to keep Paul Kruger or Albert McClellan.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Oh, you mean that guy who got nearly $100 million and only has 4 sacks? :D

Barwin may be having a down year so far, but so is Brooks Reed. They could very easily turn it on the 2nd half of the season. Who knows what is going on? Maybe Barwin isn't 100%, but is still out there like Ngata is here?

I don't think any Ravens fan in their right mind would turn down Connor Barwin to keep Paul Kruger or Albert McClellan.
    He is a much better player than Kruger in all aspects, but I like Upshaw and want to see him develop as a starter here opposite Suggs and grow into a Lamar Woodley type player. IMO McClellan has a future as a starting ILB not OLB. I would much rather sign a guy like Daryl Smith or Kenny Philips if we're going to sign a big defensive name on defense.

Blog Entries

I said earlier that I really liked Sheldon Richardson, I think he would be a good fit playing 5 technique here as he would probably be our best inside rusher if we drafted him. I was watching ESPN UK the other week and put on the Alabama/Mizzouri game, and wanted to see how Richardson faired against the best offensive line in football, as it is probably the closest measure to how he'd fair in the pro's. I came away very impressed with how much pressure he brings up the middle, and this is against the likes of Warmack, and Jones who are arguably the two best interior lineman prospects this season. He is good in run defense too, he chases the ball carrier down the field and doesn't give up on plays, he is very athletic for a guy his size. McPhee really hasn't been a good replacement for Cory Redding, and we really needed one, so I think this guy could split reps with McPhee and make a suitable replacement, as Arthur Jones just isn't getting it done. If we can get CJ Mosley in the first round, and make moves to get Richardson in the second, that would help fix our main issues on our front 7, it basically leaves us with a void at nose tackle, unless Terrence Cody drastically improves.

Here is some clips of him playing against Bama.

srobert:

What are your thoughts on Zeke Motta and Zack Martin?

I like Zeke Motta. I think he's pretty underrated. I dont know that I'd spend a high draft pick on him, but as a depth safety/ST's guy I think he could be pretty interesting.

Regarding Zack Martin: I like him a lot too. I think he's a pretty solid left tackle for the Irish, but I don't know that he could play LT in the pros. If the Ravens move KO over to LT then Martin may not be a bad option to compete for LG/RT.

ND has a lot of nice players.

Obviously, I'd LOVE to see Tyler Eiffert on the Ravens squad. I love Pitta, but Eiffert is every bit of the receiver that guys like Gronkowski are. Plus, Eiffert is a good blocker as well. His game reminds me a lot of Jason Witten.
    Martin can definitely play LT in the NFL. He was one of the better LTs in the country last year. He regressed a little bit early this year but has really come on strong. If he comes out this year I am guessing he will be a fringe first rounder. Very athletic. It is up in the air whether he returns for his 4th year or not. he is a RS soph this year with two more years of eligibility. His younger brother will probably be a starter next year and they may want to play together for year.

Motta is probably a late 2nd rounder or early 3rd based on combine. He is a bit bigger than Harrison Smith and not as fast. He is very instinctual and is a big hitter. He plays with reckless abandon. He could definitely play the Bernard Pollard role on the Ravens defense. If he does well at the combine he will go higher.

Eifert is probably a bit more athletic than Witten. He plays a lot of wr for ND. He has great hands and is great at going up and snatching the ball.

Riddick will be a good third down back. He is great catching the ball. Hard Runner but does not have the best vision.

Braxton Cave the center is someone to take a look at with a late pick. Coming back from injury this year and started slow. Has come on of late. One of the stronger guys in all of college football. Should have an impressive Bench at the combine. Not the most athletic guy is the knock.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Martin can definitely play LT in the NFL. He was one of the better LTs in the country last year. He regressed a little bit early this year but has really come on strong. If he comes out this year I am guessing he will be a fringe first rounder. Very athletic. It is up in the air whether he returns for his 4th year or not. he is a RS soph this year with two more years of eligibility. His younger brother will probably be a starter next year and they may want to play together for year.

Motta is probably a late 2nd rounder or early 3rd based on combine. He is a bit bigger than Harrison Smith and not as fast. He is very instinctual and is a big hitter. He plays with reckless abandon. He could definitely play the Bernard Pollard role on the Ravens defense. If he does well at the combine he will go higher.

Eifert is probably a bit more athletic than Witten. He plays a lot of wr for ND. He has great hands and is great at going up and snatching the ball.

Riddick will be a good third down back. He is great catching the ball. Hard Runner but does not have the best vision.

Braxton Cave the center is someone to take a look at with a late pick. Coming back from injury this year and started slow. Has come on of late. One of the stronger guys in all of college football. Should have an impressive Bench at the combine. Not the most athletic guy is the knock.
    I can't see Martin as a fringe 1st rounder. If he were 6'6" or something, I could see it. Notre Dame has him listed at 6'4", which in reality he is probably about 6'3"...maybe slightly taller.

Blog Entries

On the FA front, I realized today that Terrance Knighton is a FA in 2013, and has been a very good NT for the Jags over the years on an underrated D. He wont be all that expensive, and would be a great solid move as IMO NT is still the biggest hole on this team. He brings a lot of pressure, but is truly an elite run stopper from the NT position.

You pair him with Ngata, and resign McBean, maybe draft a Sheldon Richardson, and hopefully a guy like DeAngelo Tyson steps up, the Dline then all of a sudden looks much better on paper at least.

I can't see Martin as a fringe 1st rounder. If he were 6'6" or something, I could see it. Notre Dame has him listed at 6'4", which in reality he is probably about 6'3"...maybe slightly taller.
    If he comes out this year probably not as there are a bunch of good oline prospects coming out. He is probably not a LT in the NFL but he is a good pass blocker and is athletic. A lot is going to depend on his measurements. He is a smart hard worker. There are a lot of prospects that will be rated higher because of measurables but do not seem as good. Xavier Nixon of Florida is one of those guys or DJ Fluker of Alabama. They have the size and athleticism but are inconsistent. I could be off but Martin is a guy that at the end of the 2nd or in the 3rd would be a good pickup. He has some value in that he would be able to play inside and out. Question is are the Ravens going to build a mauling oline or an athletic oline. He is probably small if you are looking for maulers. He would be great in GB or NWE.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    If he comes out this year probably not as there are a bunch of good oline prospects coming out. He is probably not a LT in the NFL but he is a good pass blocker and is athletic. A lot is going to depend on his measurements. He is a smart hard worker. There are a lot of prospects that will be rated higher because of measurables but do not seem as good. Xavier Nixon of Florida is one of those guys or DJ Fluker of Alabama. They have the size and athleticism but are inconsistent. I could be off but Martin is a guy that at the end of the 2nd or in the 3rd would be a good pickup. He has some value in that he would be able to play inside and out. Question is are the Ravens going to build a mauling oline or an athletic oline. He is probably small if you are looking for maulers. He would be great in GB or NWE.
    I think in the 3rd round as a swing OT/OG, Zack MArtin would be fantastic value. You're right, he isn't as big as guys like DJ Fluker, but he is much more adept to being a pass blocker.

Blog Entries

On the FA front, I realized today that Terrance Knighton is a FA in 2013, and has been a very good NT for the Jags over the years on an underrated D. He wont be all that expensive, and would be a great solid move as IMO NT is still the biggest hole on this team. He brings a lot of pressure, but is truly an elite run stopper from the NT position.

You pair him with Ngata, and resign McBean, maybe draft a Sheldon Richardson, and hopefully a guy like DeAngelo Tyson steps up, the Dline then all of a sudden looks much better on paper at least.
    Knighton is a very good player, but that dude has some major issues with keeping his weight down in the off-season. IIRC, the past two off-seasons he has reported to the Jags pretty overweight and couldn't really participate in summer activities as a result. You can only do that for so long before a team gets tired of constantly babysitting you in the off-season.

That said, I can't see the Jags not re-signing him. I'd be surprised if they let him go.

Blog Entries

Knighton is a very good player, but that dude has some major issues with keeping his weight down in the off-season. IIRC, the past two off-seasons he has reported to the Jags pretty overweight and couldn't really participate in summer activities as a result. You can only do that for so long before a team gets tired of constantly babysitting you in the off-season.

That said, I can't see the Jags not re-signing him. I'd be surprised if they let him go.
    Would you rather have your starting NT to be pushed off the line every week, or get a guy who is a little lazy in the offseason that dominates the line of scrimmage?

A lot of guys have done it on our very own roster, Sizzle has done it, Upshaw showed up overweight, Ngata was rumored to be out of shape at the beginning of the offseason... shit happens. The weight thing doesn't totally put me off, it's not the worst thing in the world, at least this guy as no criminal history.

Blog Entries

Would you rather have your starting NT to be pushed off the line every week, or get a guy who is a little lazy in the offseason that dominates the line of scrimmage?

A lot of guys have done it on our very own roster, Sizzle has done it, Upshaw showed up overweight, Ngata was rumored to be out of shape at the beginning of the offseason... shit happens. The weight thing doesn't totally put me off, it's not the worst thing in the world, at least this guy as no criminal history.

Valid point, but that still doesn't mean that he is destined for free agency. He's one of the Jags best players and considering how bad they are overall, I can't see that new owner just letting one of their best young players go. Out of that team, Daryl Smith is much more likely to be let go.

Knighton is an interesting case, he was benched recently by the Jags, not sure why but he is a load inside and is a better fit as a 3-4 NT as opposed to a 1 gap penetrator i believe the Jags are looking for. The fact that he was benched could should lower the price and maybe he'd sign a make good type of deal here.

Did some more research, CJ Mosley is the starter opposite Alualu now, certaintly smaller and more active defender. Better? Idk, kinda fits with the thought they wanted a guy that can get up the field.