Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2122232425 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The Ravens aren't going to cut Boldin. The cap strapped thing is a little exaggerated around here, we are said to be 15 million under the cap going into 2013. Cut Bobbie Williams, Jameel McClain, and Matt Birk, and you have more than enough to sign Flacco or at least franchise him. The funny thing is, it's all speculation from this board on what Flacco is really going to get paid, people have even said as much as what Brees got, which IMO wouldn't be fair on the Ravens because Flacco simpy hasn't been as good as Brees and hasn't won a SB. If Flacco wins a SB this year, I say he deserves a Eli Manning/Be Roethlisberger type deal.

The point is, we should be able to keep Boldin, and should be able to re sign Flacco. All we need then is to stock up on the defense through the draft, and sign some reasonably priced vets, ala Cory Redding.
    IIRC, Ravor said we would likely be around 8 or 9 mill under. Not 15.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    IIRC, Ravor said we would likely be around 8 or 9 mill under. Not 15.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Yeah I think that's after all the resigning of ERFA's, and tendering the RFA's etc... 15 million is before all that, so 7-8 million is still pretty reasonable. You can save around 7 million by cutting McClain, Birk and Williams, which will probably leave us with around 1-2 million in cap space after re signing Flacco or franchise tagging him (which would be around 15 million), and there's always the possibility of back loading the deal which would give us even more space.

I think this offense could be in an even better place next year if we retain Boldin, and with him, Ray Rice Jacoby, and Torrey Smith, as well as Pitta getting a 2nd round tender, they will have had three years developing good chemistry together and keeps some good continuity going. Then of course you have Tandon Doss showing promise as someone who can break into the rotation. It will allow us to by pass the offense, apart from maybe an offensive lineman, and re stock the defense in the draft.

Yeah I think that's after all the resigning of ERFA's, and tendering the RFA's etc... 15 million is before all that, so 7-8 million is still pretty reasonable. You can save around 7 million by cutting McClain, Birk and Williams, which will probably leave us with around 1-2 million in cap space after re signing Flacco or franchise tagging him (which would be around 15 million), and there's always the possibility of back loading the deal which would give us even more space.

I think this offense could be in an even better place next year if we retain Boldin, and with him, Ray Rice Jacoby, and Torrey Smith, as well as Pitta getting a 2nd round tender, they will have had three years developing good chemistry together and keeps some good continuity going. Then of course you have Tandon Doss showing promise as someone who can break into the rotation. It will allow us to by pass the offense, apart from maybe an offensive lineman, and re stock the defense in the draft.
    I'm pretty sure we won't be saving $7 million by cutting those guys.

And even if we did, $1-2 million doesn't take into account the new draft picks.

I get the sentimental feelings for Boldin, but you can't be scared to move on when you aren't getting value for the price. People were scared about losing Derrick Mason too. We'll make due.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'm pretty sure we won't be saving $7 million by cutting those guys.

And even if we did, $1-2 million doesn't take into account the new draft picks.

I get the sentimental feelings for Boldin, but you can't be scared to move on when you aren't getting value for the price. People were scared about losing Derrick Mason too. We'll make due.
    I think that draft picks were taken into account with raves cap estimation.

Matt Birk is scheduled to earn $2,750,000.00
    Bobbie Williams $1,200,000.00
    and Jameel McClain $3,000,000.00

I don't know how much guaranteed money was involved with the contracts and other stipulations, but I would have though we'd be saving anywhere between 6 to 7.5 million cutting them all, and let's be honest, they are very expendable cap casualties, far more so than Boldin.

Blog Entries

Keep in mind that along with Flacco they're going to have to make decisions on Kruger, Ed Reed, Cary Williams, and Ellerbe.

I think that draft picks were taken into account with raves cap estimation.

Matt Birk is scheduled to earn $2,750,000.00
    Bobbie Williams $1,200,000.00
    and Jameel McClain $3,000,000.00

I don't know how much guaranteed money was involved with the contracts and other stipulations, but I would have though we'd be saving anywhere between 6 to 7.5 million cutting them all, and let's be honest, they are very expendable cap casualties, far more so than Boldin.
    Are your figures accounting for signing bonus acceleration? I'm pretty sure Birks deal will cost us at least $1 million in bonus and McClain, while he didn't get a big bonus, still will have the remaining of it accelerate.

Ravor usually does an article/spreadsheet near the end of the year and does the figures for the potential/likely cuts.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Are your figures accounting for signing bonus acceleration? I'm pretty sure Birks deal will cost us at least $1 million in bonus and McClain, while he didn't get a big bonus, still will have the remaining of it accelerate.

Ravor usually does an article/spreadsheet near the end of the year and does the figures for the potential/likely cuts.
    Yeah my mistake, your right, we'd save only 4.65 million cutting those players (and that's before any guaranteed money that may be there that I don't know about).

Birk has 700 k in bonus to account for next year, Williams has 400 k, and Jameel actually has 1.2!

Don't forget about Ray Lewis possibly retiring either btw. We could save 3.5 million from that.

Blog Entries

Changing the subject a little here.

Has anyone considered the possibility of signing Martellus Bennett next season? He is likely to be a FA, unless the Giants extend him? Dennis Pitta is proving to be a solid fourth round pick, but is he really good enough to be that guy? Dickson is proving that he really isn't a great compliment to Pitta, and I think getting a guy like Bennett could really help us, he could split snaps with Pitta or both be on the field at the same time. Bennett is an amazing blocker, and would be a great 3rd down target for Flacco, he would also be an enormous end zone threat, which we don't really have atm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Keep in mind that along with Flacco they're going to have to make decisions on Kruger, Ed Reed, Cary Williams, and Ellerbe.
    Kruger- Will get paid more than he's worth by another team.
    Reed- Likely franchised
    CWill- Bye, don't let the door hit you on your way out
    Ellerbe- If the price is right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Kruger- Will get paid more than he's worth by another team.
    Reed- Likely franchised
    CWill- Bye, don't let the door hit you on your way out
    Ellerbe- If the price is right.
    Kruger - possibly, but it is going to be a tough market for him as a pass rusher (Cliff Avril & Connor Barwin).
    Reed - If they Franchise Flacco...can't use it on Reed.
    Cary - I too think that they will let him walk.
    Ellerbe - He'll be re-signed.

Blog Entries

Huge fan of Stedman Baily, possibly in the 3rd round if we're lucky. He would offer something this offense is missing.

Huge fan of Stedman Baily, possibly in the 3rd round if we're lucky. He would offer something this offense is missing.
    I was just gonna say this Leach! lol...He'd be great value i think in the 3rd round, guys like him are drive extenders in the slot, i think that's an element we are missing, not to mention he'd be another deep threat.

I also continue to like what i see from Florida LB Jonathan Bostic, Kevin Minter impressed me in coverage yesterday as well even though he got a couple penalties he ran well down the field with Arkansas standout WR Cobi Hamilton one play and only got a penalty because he wasnt looking for the ball.

I know the CJ Mosely train is loading up lol, and im on that train as well but when i look at how dominate Louis Nix and Jonathan Jenkins looked yesterday i wonder if grabbing one of those guys in the 1st and looking at possibly Minter or Ogletree in the 2nd or Bostic in the 3rd.