Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,898

    Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension



    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    They did. False Start.
    Well done Cap'n....LMAO.
    "Old Man my Ass!" - John Malkovich




  2. #17

    Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension

    Winston deal is a good starting point but his agent will point out that Oher can play LT as well as RT, and having a guy like that is much more valuable than a RT alone. He wil also point out that most recently, Oher while not great has been at least a servicable LEFT tackle.

    Not to mention how hard even average tackles are hard to find these days, much less starting "swing" tackles.

    This might be one that goes to free agency, because I think there is going to be a big gap between agent and team.




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,038
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    The issue here is, left tackles are damn hard to find. Is serviceable, which oher is, worth hanging on to and probably over paying?
    Not with Flacco to sign and a bunch of holes to fill. Draft a Tackle, sign a Tackle and let those 2 and KO compete for the job next year.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  4. #19

    Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    But he can't leave, it would ruin the movie!
    That fricking movie was a gravy train that made an NFL gravy train almost moot. Now it's a millstone around a solid OT's (if not top-tier LT's) neck.

    Can't say it better than Yanda did:
    "Michael Oher is doing a good job and always works really hard," Pro Bowl offensive guard Marshal Yanda said. "He's a great player. He's what you want in a football player. He takes it seriously, he works hard. He works at his craft every day in practice and he's just a great guy."

    I have 2 words for those who would scoff at that: Jared Gaither.




  5. #20

    Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Winston deal is a good starting point but his agent will point out that Oher can play LT as well as RT, and having a guy like that is much more valuable than a RT alone. He wil also point out that most recently, Oher while not great has been at least a servicable LEFT tackle.

    Not to mention how hard even average tackles are hard to find these days, much less starting "swing" tackles.

    This might be one that goes to free agency, because I think there is going to be a big gap between agent and team.
    If the agent pointed out he could play LT, I'd say Really?
    And whatr are the chances that Winston can't play at THAT level...
    Charlie Johnson played LT last year for Minny, does that mean he deserves LT money?
    NO... you have to play LT at a reasonably hig level to get LT money.
    Oher, despite improving this year, is still outside the top 20 at the left tackle position. People that play at that level only get rookie deals... So there aren't comparable contracts, unless he wants to look at Bryant McKinnie's conbtract for a comparable instead of Winston...




  6. #21

    Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    That fricking movie was a gravy train that made an NFL gravy train almost moot. Now it's a millstone around a solid OT's (if not top-tier LT's) neck.

    Can't say it better than Yanda did:
    "Michael Oher is doing a good job and always works really hard," Pro Bowl offensive guard Marshal Yanda said. "He's a great player. He's what you want in a football player. He takes it seriously, he works hard. He works at his craft every day in practice and he's just a great guy."

    I have 2 words for those who would scoff at that: Jared Gaither.
    jsut to be clear, you are saying that he is NOT a top tier LT right?
    I can't believe you mean the opposite.




  7. #22

    Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    If the agent pointed out he could play LT, I'd say Really?
    And whatr are the chances that Winston can't play at THAT level...
    Charlie Johnson played LT last year for Minny, does that mean he deserves LT money?
    NO... you have to play LT at a reasonably hig level to get LT money.
    Oher, despite improving this year, is still outside the top 20 at the left tackle position. People that play at that level only get rookie deals... So there aren't comparable contracts, unless he wants to look at Bryant McKinnie's conbtract for a comparable instead of Winston...
    Yeah, he really played LT this year. Really.

    As far as comparables, you are right in that regard. Very few have taken the path from RT. to LT. Back to RT. Back to LT.
    All within their rookie contract.

    One other factor is there are a number of tackles who are free agents in 2013, good ones too.

    Jake Long
    Jermaine Bushrod
    Sebastian Vollmer
    Michael Oher
    Ryan Clady
    Andre Smith

    Gonna be interesting to see how all those situations play out. 2 Right tackles on that list as well in Vollmer and Smith.




  8. #23

    Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Yeah, he really played LT this year. Really.

    As far as comparables, you are right in that regard. Very few have taken the path from RT. to LT. Back to RT. Back to LT.
    All within their rookie contract.

    One other factor is there are a number of tackles who are free agents in 2013, good ones too.

    Jake Long
    Jermaine Bushrod
    Sebastian Vollmer
    Michael Oher
    Ryan Clady
    Andre Smith

    Gonna be interesting to see how all those situations play out. 2 Right tackles on that list as well in Vollmer and Smith.
    Yeah h played LT. About as well as John Skelton is playing QB. About as good as Charlie johnson played LT last year. And the reason Johnson is back to guard? Becuase they got a REAL LT. If we have the opportunity to get a real LT, Oher would be moved elsewhere again, hopefully inside to guard.

    Ushrod is hot garbage, even Oher is better then that.
    Smith should also receive less money then Oher. The rest of the list? Not so much. Vollmer may have only played RT thus far, but I would bet any money he could do so at a higher level then Oher. He is a FAR better Rt, IMO, probably the best in football.
    Clady and Long are in a different stratosphere, and likely deserve DOUBLE what Oer will get in total contract dollars.




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Yeah, he really played LT this year. Really.

    As far as comparables, you are right in that regard. Very few have taken the path from RT. to LT. Back to RT. Back to LT.
    All within their rookie contract.

    One other factor is there are a number of tackles who are free agents in 2013, good ones too.

    Jake Long
    Jermaine Bushrod
    Sebastian Vollmer
    Michael Oher
    Ryan Clady
    Andre Smith

    Gonna be interesting to see how all those situations play out. 2 Right tackles on that list as well in Vollmer and Smith.
    Oher isn't a free agent until 2014 for the record. He signed a 5 year deal in 09. There actually looking to do this deal a year and half early.




  10. #25

    Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Oher isn't a free agent until 2014 for the record. He signed a 5 year deal in 09. There actually looking to do this deal a year and half early.
    I know I was just talking about what their contracts will do to the overall market, should have made that more clear.

    That is 5 deals that will have an impact on what he gets.




  11. #26

    Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    jsut to be clear, you are saying that he is NOT a top tier LT right?
    I can't believe you mean the opposite.
    Gaither or Oher?? JK.

    Oher is not a good LT, but he may have to play there for another season. I had McKinnie at LT, Oher at RT, Yanda at RG and KO at LG pencilled in as TC closed. Shows what I know.




  12. #27

    Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    Gaither or Oher?? JK.

    Oher is not a good LT, but he may have to play there for another season. I had McKinnie at LT, Oher at RT, Yanda at RG and KO at LG pencilled in as TC closed. Shows what I know.
    Ok i thoughts so, and agree with you. Thanks for clearing that up.

    BTW, Gaither is one of the better OT's in football both games a year he plays. The one game he's played this year he was FLAT OUT DOMINANT until the 2nd to last play when he got reinjured, and then almost singlehandedly Cundiffed away the game on the last snap. so... take that as yo will. The promise is obviously there, but the work ethic/health obviously is not.




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,812

    Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Ok i thoughts so, and agree with you. Thanks for clearing that up.

    BTW, Gaither is one of the better OT's in football both games a year he plays. The one game he's played this year he was FLAT OUT DOMINANT until the 2nd to last play when he got reinjured, and then almost singlehandedly Cundiffed away the game on the last snap. so... take that as yo will. The promise is obviously there, but the work ethic/health obviously is not.
    when fit or wanting to play, which ever people believe, he's one of the best LTs in football.




  14. #29

    Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    when fit or wanting to play, which ever people believe, he's one of the best LTs in football.
    I'm not sure how many people in Bmore watched the one game this year in which Gaither played, as there was an important Orioles game, but he was awesome. I think I am actually underplaying hwo good he was. I'm not sure I've seen Joe Thomas or Jake Long play that well in a couple of years...




  15. #30

    Re: Ravens have had discussions with Michael Oher on an extension

    I'm in the minority but I think Oher has become a good left tackle. He's played well this year. I think the team likes his development. Having Kelechi allows Oher to finally stay in one position and develop. The flip flopping from side to side probably slowed down his development. Besides the Eagles game, I think he played pretty well. He may never be an all pro but that's not necessary. The majority of our woes on the line has either been at LG or RT.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland