Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Case in point, we are going to overspend on a legendary linebacker next year who has been passed by the play of younger players. Ray should be done, if Parcells ran this team or Belicheck, he'd be done. But Steve and Ray are boys and he will get a pass and come back for a ridiculous 18th year.
    .... leading the team in tackles and was 5th in the entire NFL in tackles prior to his injury.

And I doubt seriously Belichick will cast off Brady. Ever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Really? Thankfully you don't run the Ravens.
    Because winning seasons and losing in the playoffs is better than a Super Bowl???

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    While I don't disagree with you that someone should tell Ray that it's time to hang'em up...

Belichick is notorious for signing older vets who are considered washed up by many other teams. Junior Seau comes to mind. Shaun Ellis is another.
    Could not agree more! But Belicheck isn't going to be paying Ray anymore than the vet minimum! And he is going to bring him off the field on passing downs, which should have been done here.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    .... leading the team in tackles and was 5th in the entire NFL in tackles prior to his injury.

And I doubt seriously Belichick will cast off Brady. Ever.
    I didn't say Ray had no game left, but tackling someone after a 5 yard gain really isn't what Ray was about. It pained me to watch him get rolled over this year.

And no, you are definitely right about Brady and Bill.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    While I don't disagree with you that someone should tell Ray that it's time to hang'em up...

Belichick is notorious for signing older vets who are considered washed up by many other teams. Junior Seau comes to mind. Shaun Ellis is another.
    He'll sign them for the minimum. He certainly won't pay them anything close to what they used to get. The Ravens wouldn't do that to Ray.

I didn't say Ray had no game left, but tackling someone after a 5 yard gain really isn't what Ray was about. It pained me to watch him get rolled over this year.
    That's the job of an MLB. The line is supposed to be stopping the run at the line. If that fails, the linebacker backs them up the line, hence the name. And I've seen plenty of runs this season where Ray did indeed stuff the run at the line.

His issues are in coverage, not his run stopping abilities.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    He'll sign them for the minimum. He certainly won't pay them anything close to what they used to get. The Ravens wouldn't do that to Ray.
    And at some time we have to say goodbye. Sorry, when Ray was a "Free agent" he had no qualms about entertaining offers from other teams, even went so far to talk about playing with the "Dallas Star" on his head.

At some point, it becomes a business and younger, stronger, faster will beat experienced and aged.

Blog Entries

That's the job of an MLB. The line is supposed to be stopping the run at the line. If that fails, the linebacker backs them up the line, hence the name. And I've seen plenty of runs this season where Ray did indeed stuff the run at the line.

His issues were also in run stopping. I saw where the 20lbs of muscle he dropped would have stopped a run much shorter. He's still better than a lot of MLB's but not at the price tag.

7. Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

Nice post, but you will be drowned out by 4 straight years of making the playoffs. No one ever sees how well the table was set for John Harbaugh. I still say Billick got a raw deal. 13-3 season then a 5-11 season and toast. All that bullshit about losing the locker room got way overblown.
    You make it sound as though Billick had a great year and was then fired when the team struggled. Not true. Let's take a look at how the team performed after the 2001 Cap Purge.

2002: 7-9. Most of the "experts" had us winning four games and being in last place. At Week 16, we controlled our destiny. Win the final two games, and we would get in. Unfortunately the prevent defense and a boneheaded McAlister penalty did us in against Cleveland. Yeah, McAlister was an issue back then and Billick made no action against him. We had to rely on five teams, one of which was the lowly Cardinals, and beat Pittsburgh to get in. Neither happened.

2003: 10-6. The team won the division even in spite of going with Kyle Boller at the beginning of the season. For some strange reason, Billick played the starters in Week 17 against the Steelers despite the result of the game having no bearing on the playoffs. What followed after a tough game was a lethargic outing against the Titans, and Orlando Brown being that year's McAlister.

2004: 9-7. Remember during 2000 when Billick banned the words playoffs and Super Bowl? Something changed in 2004. In the preseason, Ray Lewis and Corey Fuller were saying this was a Super Bowl team. Deion came on and said the same thing. The team went 9-7 and blew that big lead in that infamous game against the Bengals, what to me was the most painful loss until New England in the AFC Championship. Mike Preston and Chris McAlister say the team is having major problems getting along.

2005: 6-10. Despite big free agent acquisitions of Derrick Mason and Samari Rolle, the Ravens stink up the joint. Then there is that verbal scolding Bisciotti gave Billick in the after season press conference. I felt bad for Billick.

2006: 13-3. Best single season regular season record in history. The defense was incredible. McNair managed games well and even had some early season comebacks. Unfortunately, the team did not win its first playoff game.

2007: 5-11. The fiasco against New England. The lack of discipline. The Miami loss. Ug.

Save for a great 2006, the Ravens were mostly a mediocre team. When they got into the playoffs, they shot themselves in the foot. In 2002, they shot themseleves in the foot. Looking at 2002 to 2007, it's safe to say that 2006 was an aberration. The team was never close to winning thirteen games. Adding more credence to this belief is that the two years after Billick, the team went 11-5 and 9-7. The key difference is that those teams won playoff games in those times.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OrangePurple View Post
    You make it sound as though Billick had a great year and was then fired when the team struggled. Not true. Let's take a look at how the team performed after the 2001 Cap Purge.

2002: 7-9. Most of the "experts" had us winning four games and being in last place. At Week 16, we controlled our destiny. Win the final two games, and we would get in. Unfortunately the prevent defense and a boneheaded McAlister penalty did us in against Cleveland. Yeah, McAlister was an issue back then and Billick made no action against him. We had to rely on five teams, one of which was the lowly Cardinals, and beat Pittsburgh to get in. Neither happened.

2003: 10-6. The team won the division even in spite of going with Kyle Boller at the beginning of the season. For some strange reason, Billick played the starters in Week 17 against the Steelers despite the result of the game having no bearing on the playoffs. What followed after a tough game was a lethargic outing against the Titans, and Orlando Brown being that year's McAlister.

2004: 9-7. Remember during 2000 when Billick banned the words playoffs and Super Bowl? Something changed in 2004. In the preseason, Ray Lewis and Corey Fuller were saying this was a Super Bowl team. Deion came on and said the same thing. The team went 9-7 and blew that big lead in that infamous game against the Bengals, what to me was the most painful loss until New England in the AFC Championship. Mike Preston and Chris McAlister say the team is having major problems getting along.

2005: 6-10. Despite big free agent acquisitions of Derrick Mason and Samari Rolle, the Ravens stink up the joint. Then there is that verbal scolding Bisciotti gave Billick in the after season press conference. I felt bad for Billick.

2006: 13-3. Best single season regular season record in history. The defense was incredible. McNair managed games well and even had some early season comebacks. Unfortunately, the team did not win its first playoff game.

2007: 5-11. The fiasco against New England. The lack of discipline. The Miami loss. Ug.

Save for a great 2006, the Ravens were mostly a mediocre team. When they got into the playoffs, they shot themselves in the foot. In 2002, they shot themseleves in the foot. Looking at 2002 to 2007, it's safe to say that 2006 was an aberration. The team was never close to winning thirteen games. Adding more credence to this belief is that the two years after Billick, the team went 11-5 and 9-7. The key difference is that those teams won playoff games in those times.
    All your writing is negated by the fact in a quarterback driven league we had one decent season out of McNair and that was the difference.

2002 Jeff Blake / Chris Redman
    2003 Kyle Boller / Anthony Wright
    2004 Kyle Boller
    2005 Kyle Boller / Anthony Wright
    2006 Steve McNair
    2007 Kyle Boller /Steve McNair/ Troy Smith

Bill Belicheck would have been out of a job with that crew, least he had Drew Bledsoe before Brady, our QB's SUCKED.

Blog Entries

Well, his issues (age) are bleeding over into his run stopping abilities too. 3 or 4 years ago he probably wouldn't have been juked out of his shoes by Jamaal Charles, but that's just where he's at these days. He dropped weight to keep up, but the reality is that unless the run is coming straight at him or he gets a good jump (which he still can do) then he isn't able to chase down guys anymore or get to the flats before the RB can really turn up the field.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Case in point, we are going to overspend on a legendary linebacker next year who has been passed by the play of younger players. Ray should be done, if Parcells ran this team or Belicheck, he'd be done. But Steve and Ray are boys and he will get a pass and come back for a ridiculous 18th year.

Symantics,

Knoll got 11 years to fix it... that is quite a leash.

As for players, I don't have a link but you hear crap on the radio that said the players were involved too, but you can dismiss that as well.

Andy Reid has one of the best percentages too... how many trophies?
    Not everyone has a legendary Linebacker like Ray Lewis so this handling has to be delicate

I honestly think they just need to cut ties with Ray. All this talk of retaining him as a coach or mentor or figurehead is just going to keep other guys from stepping up. If Ray doesn't want to hang up his cleats let him go play in Denver for a year with Manning or whoever. The defense needs to find its own identity and get out of Ray's shadow.

12. Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

All your writing is negated by the fact in a quarterback driven league we had one decent season out of McNair and that was the difference.
    And your writing is negated by the fact that defense had a freakishly good year. The bigger picture is to look at the seasons after the Cap Purge. What you see is what you get. Billick had to go. Do you really think that Billick would have exceeded what Harbaugh has done here?