Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 79
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,503

    Re: Kindle experiment is not over...



    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    http://wnst.net/baltimore-sports/bis...ibility-sinks/

    It is written that Dick Cass did the inquiring, but who does he get his marching orders from?

    And Houston, I am not saying Steve can't do what he wants, he's the billionaire, I just never agreed with canning Billick. That 2000 Superbowl is looking much farther away then it ever did with Billick. We had arguable the best team over the last few years and shit to show for it in the trophy case.

    But by all means, stick to the same thing...
    See my edit ...
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Severna Park
    Posts
    3,443
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Edit: Ok, found a few stories on my own, nothing concrete, about the polling. In any event and if true, what's the problem? The larger issue at the time was that Billick lost the locker room, not the losing record. Leaders only have about 5-8 years before their message becomes stale. It was imply BB's time and I am a HUGE BB supporter.
    My problem is the owner yuking it up with players like Bart and Ray, then asking people what they think of the head coach. It undermines his authority. Billick needed a QB, Ozzie never got him one, end of story end of career.

    I never buy the stale story, didn't get stale for the Steelers? They are on what, their 3rd coach and have 7 Super Bowls???

    Matter of fact, this is only going to get worse. Steve is committed to the Ravens and lets his partner run his real company so he can focus on the NFL.




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,503

    Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    My problem is the owner yuking it up with players like Bart and Ray, then asking people what they think of the head coach. It undermines his authority. Billick needed a QB, Ozzie never got him one, end of story end of career.
    The rumor you're saying happened stated that Bisciotti went to staff, not players.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I never buy the stale story, didn't get stale for the Steelers? They are on what, their 3rd coach and have 7 Super Bowls???
    As a matter of fact, it did. They moved on from Noll for precisely the same reason. Noll got did precisely dick from 1979 to 1991.
    Cowher quit at the height of his success so you can't say either way it was a lost message.


    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Matter of fact, this is only going to get worse. Steve is committed to the Ravens and lets his partner run his real company so he can focus on the NFL.
    If true, he has one of the best teams in the league in terms of winning percentage and is widely regarded as one of the best franchises in the league. I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with your paranoia.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Severna Park
    Posts
    3,443
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

    Case in point, we are going to overspend on a legendary linebacker next year who has been passed by the play of younger players. Ray should be done, if Parcells ran this team or Belicheck, he'd be done. But Steve and Ray are boys and he will get a pass and come back for a ridiculous 18th year.

    Symantics,

    Knoll got 11 years to fix it... that is quite a leash.

    As for players, I don't have a link but you hear crap on the radio that said the players were involved too, but you can dismiss that as well.

    Andy Reid has one of the best percentages too... how many trophies?




  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arbutus
    Posts
    1,875

    Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I would trade 4 years of 8-8 records for 1 Super Bowl. The Giants have had crappy seasonal records and still have 2 Super Bowls over the past 10 years.
    Really? Thankfully you don't run the Ravens.




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,849
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Case in point, we are going to overspend on a legendary linebacker next year who has been passed by the play of younger players. Ray should be done, if Parcells ran this team or Belicheck, he'd be done. But Steve and Ray are boys and he will get a pass and come back for a ridiculous 18th year.
    While I don't disagree with you that someone should tell Ray that it's time to hang'em up...

    Belichick is notorious for signing older vets who are considered washed up by many other teams. Junior Seau comes to mind. Shaun Ellis is another.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,503

    Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Case in point, we are going to overspend on a legendary linebacker next year who has been passed by the play of younger players. Ray should be done, if Parcells ran this team or Belicheck, he'd be done. But Steve and Ray are boys and he will get a pass and come back for a ridiculous 18th year.
    .... leading the team in tackles and was 5th in the entire NFL in tackles prior to his injury.

    And I doubt seriously Belichick will cast off Brady. Ever.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Severna Park
    Posts
    3,443
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

    Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Really? Thankfully you don't run the Ravens.
    Because winning seasons and losing in the playoffs is better than a Super Bowl???

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    While I don't disagree with you that someone should tell Ray that it's time to hang'em up...

    Belichick is notorious for signing older vets who are considered washed up by many other teams. Junior Seau comes to mind. Shaun Ellis is another.
    Could not agree more! But Belicheck isn't going to be paying Ray anymore than the vet minimum! And he is going to bring him off the field on passing downs, which should have been done here.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    .... leading the team in tackles and was 5th in the entire NFL in tackles prior to his injury.

    And I doubt seriously Belichick will cast off Brady. Ever.
    I didn't say Ray had no game left, but tackling someone after a 5 yard gain really isn't what Ray was about. It pained me to watch him get rolled over this year.

    And no, you are definitely right about Brady and Bill.




  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,030
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    While I don't disagree with you that someone should tell Ray that it's time to hang'em up...

    Belichick is notorious for signing older vets who are considered washed up by many other teams. Junior Seau comes to mind. Shaun Ellis is another.
    He'll sign them for the minimum. He certainly won't pay them anything close to what they used to get. The Ravens wouldn't do that to Ray.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,503

    Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I didn't say Ray had no game left, but tackling someone after a 5 yard gain really isn't what Ray was about. It pained me to watch him get rolled over this year.
    That's the job of an MLB. The line is supposed to be stopping the run at the line. If that fails, the linebacker backs them up the line, hence the name. And I've seen plenty of runs this season where Ray did indeed stuff the run at the line.

    His issues are in coverage, not his run stopping abilities.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Severna Park
    Posts
    3,443
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    He'll sign them for the minimum. He certainly won't pay them anything close to what they used to get. The Ravens wouldn't do that to Ray.
    And at some time we have to say goodbye. Sorry, when Ray was a "Free agent" he had no qualms about entertaining offers from other teams, even went so far to talk about playing with the "Dallas Star" on his head.

    At some point, it becomes a business and younger, stronger, faster will beat experienced and aged.




  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Severna Park
    Posts
    3,443
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That's the job of an MLB. The line is supposed to be stopping the run at the line. If that fails, the linebacker backs them up the line, hence the name. And I've seen plenty of runs this season where Ray did indeed stuff the run at the line.

    His issues are in coverage, not his run stopping abilities.
    His issues were also in run stopping. I saw where the 20lbs of muscle he dropped would have stopped a run much shorter. He's still better than a lot of MLB's but not at the price tag.




  13. #43

    Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Nice post, but you will be drowned out by 4 straight years of making the playoffs. No one ever sees how well the table was set for John Harbaugh. I still say Billick got a raw deal. 13-3 season then a 5-11 season and toast. All that bullshit about losing the locker room got way overblown.
    You make it sound as though Billick had a great year and was then fired when the team struggled. Not true. Let's take a look at how the team performed after the 2001 Cap Purge.

    2002: 7-9. Most of the "experts" had us winning four games and being in last place. At Week 16, we controlled our destiny. Win the final two games, and we would get in. Unfortunately the prevent defense and a boneheaded McAlister penalty did us in against Cleveland. Yeah, McAlister was an issue back then and Billick made no action against him. We had to rely on five teams, one of which was the lowly Cardinals, and beat Pittsburgh to get in. Neither happened.

    2003: 10-6. The team won the division even in spite of going with Kyle Boller at the beginning of the season. For some strange reason, Billick played the starters in Week 17 against the Steelers despite the result of the game having no bearing on the playoffs. What followed after a tough game was a lethargic outing against the Titans, and Orlando Brown being that year's McAlister.

    2004: 9-7. Remember during 2000 when Billick banned the words playoffs and Super Bowl? Something changed in 2004. In the preseason, Ray Lewis and Corey Fuller were saying this was a Super Bowl team. Deion came on and said the same thing. The team went 9-7 and blew that big lead in that infamous game against the Bengals, what to me was the most painful loss until New England in the AFC Championship. Mike Preston and Chris McAlister say the team is having major problems getting along.

    2005: 6-10. Despite big free agent acquisitions of Derrick Mason and Samari Rolle, the Ravens stink up the joint. Then there is that verbal scolding Bisciotti gave Billick in the after season press conference. I felt bad for Billick.

    2006: 13-3. Best single season regular season record in history. The defense was incredible. McNair managed games well and even had some early season comebacks. Unfortunately, the team did not win its first playoff game.

    2007: 5-11. The fiasco against New England. The lack of discipline. The Miami loss. Ug.

    Save for a great 2006, the Ravens were mostly a mediocre team. When they got into the playoffs, they shot themselves in the foot. In 2002, they shot themseleves in the foot. Looking at 2002 to 2007, it's safe to say that 2006 was an aberration. The team was never close to winning thirteen games. Adding more credence to this belief is that the two years after Billick, the team went 11-5 and 9-7. The key difference is that those teams won playoff games in those times.




  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Severna Park
    Posts
    3,443
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangePurple View Post
    You make it sound as though Billick had a great year and was then fired when the team struggled. Not true. Let's take a look at how the team performed after the 2001 Cap Purge.

    2002: 7-9. Most of the "experts" had us winning four games and being in last place. At Week 16, we controlled our destiny. Win the final two games, and we would get in. Unfortunately the prevent defense and a boneheaded McAlister penalty did us in against Cleveland. Yeah, McAlister was an issue back then and Billick made no action against him. We had to rely on five teams, one of which was the lowly Cardinals, and beat Pittsburgh to get in. Neither happened.

    2003: 10-6. The team won the division even in spite of going with Kyle Boller at the beginning of the season. For some strange reason, Billick played the starters in Week 17 against the Steelers despite the result of the game having no bearing on the playoffs. What followed after a tough game was a lethargic outing against the Titans, and Orlando Brown being that year's McAlister.

    2004: 9-7. Remember during 2000 when Billick banned the words playoffs and Super Bowl? Something changed in 2004. In the preseason, Ray Lewis and Corey Fuller were saying this was a Super Bowl team. Deion came on and said the same thing. The team went 9-7 and blew that big lead in that infamous game against the Bengals, what to me was the most painful loss until New England in the AFC Championship. Mike Preston and Chris McAlister say the team is having major problems getting along.

    2005: 6-10. Despite big free agent acquisitions of Derrick Mason and Samari Rolle, the Ravens stink up the joint. Then there is that verbal scolding Bisciotti gave Billick in the after season press conference. I felt bad for Billick.

    2006: 13-3. Best single season regular season record in history. The defense was incredible. McNair managed games well and even had some early season comebacks. Unfortunately, the team did not win its first playoff game.

    2007: 5-11. The fiasco against New England. The lack of discipline. The Miami loss. Ug.

    Save for a great 2006, the Ravens were mostly a mediocre team. When they got into the playoffs, they shot themselves in the foot. In 2002, they shot themseleves in the foot. Looking at 2002 to 2007, it's safe to say that 2006 was an aberration. The team was never close to winning thirteen games. Adding more credence to this belief is that the two years after Billick, the team went 11-5 and 9-7. The key difference is that those teams won playoff games in those times.
    All your writing is negated by the fact in a quarterback driven league we had one decent season out of McNair and that was the difference.

    2002 Jeff Blake / Chris Redman
    2003 Kyle Boller / Anthony Wright
    2004 Kyle Boller
    2005 Kyle Boller / Anthony Wright
    2006 Steve McNair
    2007 Kyle Boller /Steve McNair/ Troy Smith

    Bill Belicheck would have been out of a job with that crew, least he had Drew Bledsoe before Brady, our QB's SUCKED.




  15. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,849
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Kindle experiment is not over...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That's the job of an MLB. The line is supposed to be stopping the run at the line. If that fails, the linebacker backs them up the line, hence the name. And I've seen plenty of runs this season where Ray did indeed stuff the run at the line.

    His issues are in coverage, not his run stopping abilities.
    Well, his issues (age) are bleeding over into his run stopping abilities too. 3 or 4 years ago he probably wouldn't have been juked out of his shoes by Jamaal Charles, but that's just where he's at these days. He dropped weight to keep up, but the reality is that unless the run is coming straight at him or he gets a good jump (which he still can do) then he isn't able to chase down guys anymore or get to the flats before the RB can really turn up the field.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland