Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

One Major Flaw in Ravens Offense

Cam and Ozzie understanding of offensive philosophy and personel.

Ozzie peronel chocies does not match cam offensive philosophy.

If the Ravens was a run first team than ozzie personel choices would have been great. Signing Leach to go along with Ray Rice and an aggressive run blocking offensive line is perfect for a run first based team. You give your big arm QB good size targets to throw to and give him players that are possesion type recievers with sure hands(Boldin, Pitta, Dickson, Doss). You draft and sign tall, big, fast WR's that can stretch the field (Smith, Jones, Streeter). This personel grouping would be great for a run first-play action type of offfense. Ozzie has done a great job in building a run first based team.

Cam on the other hand has a philosophy that run first is not always the first option. Some due to his part but the other is due to the progression of Flacco and the NFL. Flacco has proven that he can lead the offensive on scoring drives in crunch situations(ie Pats and Ravens game in AFC championship game last playoff) and has showed at times he can move the ball up and down the field on long drives. Also this leauge is driven by offensive and scoring now. And the rules are favorite for offensive players. Especially QB's and WR's. So a combination of both along with Flacco turning into a franchise qb and playing for a new contract has shifted the philosophy to center around Flacco and him having the keys. Flacco no huddle(sugar) offense is his. I give credit because he has been very good at times with the offense. Rice is a good player but he is not cam top priorty as we can tell from the games when Rice only recieved 13 or fewer run attempts.

If cam will be here for the long run (or maybe not) than ozzie needs to look to draft or sign quicker WR's that can create separation between defenders in the short-medium passing game (ie, wes welker, Hawkins from the begals, Brown from the steelers). That type of WR on the ravens offense will help us in the short yardage and underneath routes. We have fast recieves that are not necessarily quick. They have fast and long strides that can strecth the field but that doesnt help in short yardage situations. Bobby Rainey is a guy who i am hoping will get more clock because he is a very quick and shifty player that can make plays in open space and help out a great deal in short yard situations.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Blog Entries

Re: One Major Flaw in Ravens Offense

I still say that there is a difference between having a player with size and having a player who 'plays up to' his size. As a passing option, there is no reason why Ed Dickson shouldn't be a focal point. However, he does not play to his size. He drops passes when he hears footsteps. He is not consistent with going up and getting the football. I think that fans assumed that Jones' speed would require safety help, but he doesn't play to his size or get open consistently either. This was an issue for him in Houston.

There have been games against adequate defenses where Boldin could leave his mark. However, he is not separating from the better defenses.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I will say this...if we are not going to be a run first team, there is no point in paying a fullback $3.5 million.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    Cam and Ozzie understanding of offensive philosophy and personel.

Ozzie peronel chocies does not match cam offensive philosophy.

If the Ravens was a run first team than ozzie personel choices would have been great. Signing Leach to go along with Ray Rice and an aggressive run blocking offensive line is perfect for a run first based team. You give your big arm QB good size targets to throw to and give him players that are possesion type recievers with sure hands(Boldin, Pitta, Doss).
    Any thoughts or suggestions?
    I made that correction for you. Dickson can't catch worth a shit, he was decent his rookie year.

Your on to something though, but I do think we can pass the ball. However with Leach they need to get back to Baltimore football and use the Pass when needed. Joe can still get 30-35 attempts a game with Rice getting 20-25 carries.
    It needs to balance out. If the pass owrks one drive, come back and pound that shit, if that works you can really start to mix it up. Keeps the d on their toes. Cam is a one track mind. "We are going in and passing" and it never deviates

Where are people getting this notion that Cam is a pass-first coordinator? This is NOT reality!!! Cam Cameron has never coordinated an offense that was higher than 12th in the league in passing attempts, and the Ravens have never been higher than 16th (which is thus far in 2012, last year was 2nd most at 18th in the league).

Cam Cameron has been an NFL OC for 10 years. For 7 of those 10 years his offense has been in the top 8 in rush attempts, including every year w/the Ravens except this year (28th in attempts).

Cam Cameron was never a pass-first coordinator until this year, IF he even is so now, so the argument that we have run-first personnel with a pass-first coordinator isn't true, historically. If it's even true this year, I would argue that we have the best skill position players on offense we've ever had for the passing game.

Offensive line is a different story. Ozzie has spent some picks on OL, but he let some talented players walk (Jason Brown, Gaither, Grubbs) for better or worse, and tried to fill them in with aging FA vets at the last minute (Willie Anderson, Bryant McKinnie, Bobbie Williams). He has not signed a marquee FA OL during that time, but that's kinda rare anyway.

Our offense would probably be better with Vincent Jackson or Calvin Johnson at WR (great fits for the Coryell offense,) but what offense wouldn't be better?

Blog Entries

Screw this Coryell crap anyway, we need to be a power run based offense and use play action like the 49ers do. That's what we should have been ever since 08, we had the defense to do that. But, I have to agree with bmorecareful after thinking about it, our defense probably isn't good enough to do what the 49ers do on offense now that our defense has fallen off a cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I will say this...if we are not going to be a run first team, there is no point in paying a fullback $3.5 million.
    Honestly, there was no point in allocating $3.5M to a fullback, no matter how good Leach is. Having a fullback in there bunches up the defense bc they are not much of a receiving threat. Spreading teams out is the name of the game in todays NFL with passing the ball effectively and in fact, I think you can run the ball better bc that extra defender isnt in the box. IMO the best option the Ravens have on offense is single back Ray with 3 WR/1TE or 2WR/2TE sets on 1st down. I like Leach in there on 2nd and 3rd & short, but otherwise, I dont think Leach helps out. So with that in mind, should the Ravens devoted $3.5M to Leach instead of a quality defensive player? I say no

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Honestly, there was no point in allocating $3.5M to a fullback, no matter how good Leach is. Having a fullback in there bunches up the defense bc they are not much of a receiving threat. Spreading teams out is the name of the game in todays NFL with passing the ball effectively and in fact, I think you can run the ball better bc that extra defender isnt in the box. IMO the best option the Ravens have on offense is single back Ray with 3 WR/1TE or 2WR/2TE sets on 1st down. I like Leach in there on 2nd and 3rd & short, but otherwise, I dont think Leach helps out. So with that in mind, should the Ravens devoted $3.5M to Leach instead of a quality defensive player? I say no
    Yeah, I know it's almost blasphemous to say we don't need Leach as he's a hell of a FB, but the team needs to come to a decision on what it's going to be.

If it's going to be a run primarily team, Leach needs to be on the field for most snaps.

If he's not, then take that money and use it on something else and use someone like Bajema as an H-Back when you need a lead blocker.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Cam is a run guy........we have to win the next two games and take it from there.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

I love Leach... guys looks to hit somebody every play.

Maybe its time to put Rice and Leach in a pro set and let Leach hit who ever is blitzing head on.

He likes and the other guy won't. Next a Houston player jumps up to bat a ball... encourage Leach to hit him.

The problem with the Ravens offense is CAM CAMERON. At this point you hav to use the players you have - not dream about your fantasy team.

Cam has showed time and time and time again that he can't be creative two weeks in a row. When you give him 8 months to plan for the season opener he seems to be able to do that.

If Biscotti wants to piss away $120Million a year in players salary he's not the business man he pretends to be.

All you need to know about the problem can be found in the square peg in the round hole graphic that one of the posters is using on our board. Its too bad Cam has pissed away 1/3rd or so of Flacco's career.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post

The problem with the Ravens offense is CAM CAMERON. At this point you hav to use the players you have - not dream about your fantasy team.

Cam has showed time and time and time again that he can't be creative two weeks in a row. When you give him 8 months to plan for the season opener he seems to be able to do that.

If Biscotti wants to piss away $120Million a year in players salary he's not the business man he pretends to be.

All you need to know about the problem can be found in the square peg in the round hole graphic that one of the posters is using on our board. Its too bad Cam has pissed away 1/3rd or so of Flacco's career.
    I really don't think Cam is capable of making adjustments. I'd love to be proved wrong.