Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,898

    Re: How's that potent passing offense doing?



    Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Haven't seen him mentioned, but I think Dickson has gone from below average to just plain bad.
    I have said this before. "somebody needs to teach this guy how to catch a football". Dennis Pitta anyone?

    If you put their lockers together (maybe they are?) the following hypothetical conversation might occur:

    Dickson: Hey Man, how come Joe targets you so often?
    Pitta: He trusts me to catch to the ball.
    Dickson: Oh OK maybe I should work on that.
    Pitta: I can help you with that.
    Dickson: Thanks dude.
    "Old Man my Ass!" - John Malkovich




  2. #17

    Re: How's that potent passing offense doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Drafting and developing Boller didn't waste their careers. Ed Reed has been a Raven for 10+ years, Ray Lewis for 17. The Boller era was less than 3 full seasons. By 2006, they had moved on to McNair, instead of Brees. Had they gone with Brees, where could we be now with regard to SB trophy's? Hindsight is a wonderful thing....
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Brees had a torn shoulder and still got $10 million a year offers from the Dolphins and Saints. I can't blame Ozzie, and most other teams, for passing one that one.

    Great point about Boller. He was on the team for a while but he certainly wasn't the man for that long.
    IMHO, the damage was longer than just the years he started here. Once you realize a QB fails, you have to find another one. We had to go out and get a washed up QB to take over which really added more years. A players prime really only usually lasts 4 years or so anyway.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Detroit Michigan
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by RavNMadMan View Post
    I have said this before. "somebody needs to teach this guy how to catch a football". Dennis Pitta anyone?

    If you put their lockers together (maybe they are?) the following hypothetical conversation might occur:

    Dickson: Hey Man, how come Joe targets you so often?
    Pitta: He trusts me to catch to the ball.
    Dickson: Oh OK maybe I should work on that.
    Pitta: I can help you with that.
    Dickson: Thanks dude.
    Hahaha.

    There's no doubt they're going to be bringing in a TE via draft especially with all our comp picks, and his job is in serious jeopardy.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

    –Eleanor Roosevelt




  4. #19

    Re: How's that potent passing offense doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Hahaha.

    There's no doubt they're going to be bringing in a TE via draft especially with all our comp picks, and his job is in serious jeopardy.
    Definitely a disappointment.
    Our SNF game vs. NYJ was when he really started to stink it up if I recall.
    And to think that...Graham and Hernandez were on the board when we selected Ed.

    Add David Reed and Arthur Jones, and man, that 2010 draft (Kindle, Cody) is really pissing me off now




  5. #20
    iggyman555 Guest

    Re: How's that potent passing offense doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    The passing offense was doing just fine until the last game anyway. One game doesn't break a season.
    did you watch the chiefs game?




  6. #21

    Re: How's that potent passing offense doing?

    The debate around here over the last couple of days got me thinking... I was wondering just how comparatively bad the Ravens' passing game on the road is in comparison to the rest of the league. So I did a bit of research and a bit of excel work to compare 10 QBs from likely playoff teams across the league in their performance at home vs on the road. Disclaimer: I am not pointing this out in order to burn Flacco, merely to show where the Ravens level of performance is in relation to the rest of the league that has a good chance to go to the playoffs. I think the numbers speak for themselves...

    Schaub home: 129 att, 83 comp, 64.34%, 956 yds, 7.4 y/a, 5 TD, 2 INT, 93.0 rating
    Schaub road: 93 att, 57 comp, 61.29%, 694 yds, 7.5 y/a, 5 TD, 2 INT, 93.2 rating

    Ryan home: 113 att, 73 comp, 64.6%, 837 yds, 7.4 y/a, 6 TD, 4 INT, 89.7 rating
    Ryan road: 123 att, 87 comp, 70.73%, 919 yds, 7.5 y/a, 8 TD, 2 INT, 107.1 rating

    Smith home: 108 att, 71 comp, 65.74%, 869 yds, 8.0 y/a, 6 TD, 4 INT, 93.5 rating
    Smith road: 82 att, 56 comp, 68.29%, 558 yds, 6.8 y/a, 3 TD, 1 INT, 94.5 rating

    Roethlisburger home: 69 att, 46 comp, 66.67%, 495 yds, 7.2 y/a, 3 TD, 0 INT, 102.0 rating
    Roethlisburger road: 166 att, 109 comp, 65.66%, 1270 yds, 7.7 y/a, 8 TD, 3 INT, 97.2 rating

    Eli home: 160 att, 103 comp, 64.38%, 1319 yds, 8.2 y/a, 8 TD, 6 INT, 91.1 rating
    Eli road: 105 att, 66 comp, 62.86%, 790 yds, 7.5 y/a, 4 TD, 1 INT, 94.5 rating

    Peyton home: 116 att, 75 comp, 64.66%, 921 yds, 7.9 y/a, 7 TD, 0 INT, 109.2 rating
    Peyton road: 111 att, 76 comp, 68.47%, 897 yds, 8.1 y/a, 7 TD, 4 INT, 98.8 rating

    Brees home: 133 att, 73 comp, 54.89%, 949 yds, 7.1 y/a, 10 TD, 4 INT, 90.1 rating
    Brees road: 140 att, 93 comp, 66.43%, 1148 yds, 8.2 y/a, 8 TD, 3 INT, 101.7 rating

    Brady home: 119 att, 77 comp, 64.71%, 798 yds, 6.7 y/a, 4 TD, 1 INT, 91.6 rating
    Brady road: 166 att, 109 comp, 65.66%, 1306 yds, 7.9 y/a, 8 TD, 2 INT, 100.6 rating

    Rodgers home: 117 att, 83 comp, 70.94%, 841 yds, 7.2 y/a, 7 TD, 3 INT, 100.4 rating
    Rodgers road: 145 att, 100 comp, 68.97%, 1138 yds, 7.8 y/a, 12 TD, 1 INT, 117.0 rating

    Flacco home: 143 att, 96 comp, 67.13%, 1301 yds, 9.1 y/a, 7 TD, 2 INT, 106.4 rating
    Flacco road: 112 att, 56 comp, 50.0%, 566 yds, 5.1 y/a, 2 TD, 4 INT, 55.9 rating




  7. #22

    Re: How's that potent passing offense doing?

    I think you need to take into consideration more than just the numbers especially with such a small sample size to work with--only 3 road games.

    What I notice is that when you look at who we played at home and who on the road so far, a pattern emerges.

    Home Games: against Bengals, Patriots, Browns & Cowboys (all played zone or mostly zone, yes even the Cowboys**)
    Away Games: against Eagles, Chiefs & Texans (all played man to man, Eagles made switch in 2nd half and we saw the drastic difference it made)

    Seems to me our success at home and struggles on the road have less to do with where we play and more to do with what defensive scheme we face.

    **According to this article: "On Sunday at Baltimore, the Cowboys played full press coverage eight times. They were full off 13 times and played half press 20 times."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...on-carrs-press




  8. #23

    Re: How's that potent passing offense doing?

    I wonder how much of that drop off has to do with Flacco and how much it has to do with the offensive system? Do the Ravens have an offensive system that only works with no crowd noise? Is there a problem getting plays in? Or is Flacco just wilting under the added pressure of a hostile stadium?




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    4,502

    Re: How's that potent passing offense doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    The debate around here over the last couple of days got me thinking... I was wondering just how comparatively bad the Ravens' passing game on the road is in comparison to the rest of the league. So I did a bit of research and a bit of excel work to compare 10 QBs from likely playoff teams across the league in their performance at home vs on the road. Disclaimer: I am not pointing this out in order to burn Flacco, merely to show where the Ravens level of performance is in relation to the rest of the league that has a good chance to go to the playoffs. I think the numbers speak for themselves...

    Schaub home: 129 att, 83 comp, 64.34%, 956 yds, 7.4 y/a, 5 TD, 2 INT, 93.0 rating
    Schaub road: 93 att, 57 comp, 61.29%, 694 yds, 7.5 y/a, 5 TD, 2 INT, 93.2 rating

    Ryan home: 113 att, 73 comp, 64.6%, 837 yds, 7.4 y/a, 6 TD, 4 INT, 89.7 rating
    Ryan road: 123 att, 87 comp, 70.73%, 919 yds, 7.5 y/a, 8 TD, 2 INT, 107.1 rating

    Smith home: 108 att, 71 comp, 65.74%, 869 yds, 8.0 y/a, 6 TD, 4 INT, 93.5 rating
    Smith road: 82 att, 56 comp, 68.29%, 558 yds, 6.8 y/a, 3 TD, 1 INT, 94.5 rating

    Roethlisburger home: 69 att, 46 comp, 66.67%, 495 yds, 7.2 y/a, 3 TD, 0 INT, 102.0 rating
    Roethlisburger road: 166 att, 109 comp, 65.66%, 1270 yds, 7.7 y/a, 8 TD, 3 INT, 97.2 rating

    Eli home: 160 att, 103 comp, 64.38%, 1319 yds, 8.2 y/a, 8 TD, 6 INT, 91.1 rating
    Eli road: 105 att, 66 comp, 62.86%, 790 yds, 7.5 y/a, 4 TD, 1 INT, 94.5 rating

    Peyton home: 116 att, 75 comp, 64.66%, 921 yds, 7.9 y/a, 7 TD, 0 INT, 109.2 rating
    Peyton road: 111 att, 76 comp, 68.47%, 897 yds, 8.1 y/a, 7 TD, 4 INT, 98.8 rating

    Brees home: 133 att, 73 comp, 54.89%, 949 yds, 7.1 y/a, 10 TD, 4 INT, 90.1 rating
    Brees road: 140 att, 93 comp, 66.43%, 1148 yds, 8.2 y/a, 8 TD, 3 INT, 101.7 rating

    Brady home: 119 att, 77 comp, 64.71%, 798 yds, 6.7 y/a, 4 TD, 1 INT, 91.6 rating
    Brady road: 166 att, 109 comp, 65.66%, 1306 yds, 7.9 y/a, 8 TD, 2 INT, 100.6 rating

    Rodgers home: 117 att, 83 comp, 70.94%, 841 yds, 7.2 y/a, 7 TD, 3 INT, 100.4 rating
    Rodgers road: 145 att, 100 comp, 68.97%, 1138 yds, 7.8 y/a, 12 TD, 1 INT, 117.0 rating

    Flacco home: 143 att, 96 comp, 67.13%, 1301 yds, 9.1 y/a, 7 TD, 2 INT, 106.4 rating
    Flacco road: 112 att, 56 comp, 50.0%, 566 yds, 5.1 y/a, 2 TD, 4 INT, 55.9 rating
    I knew it was bad, just not this bad. But I think we need a few more games to really get a feel for what we have on offense (on the road). In any case they need to get better. I think they know that. Thing is, will they make the necessary adjustments? I have no faith that they will.




  10. #25

    Re: How's that potent passing offense doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    The debate around here over the last couple of days got me thinking... I was wondering just how comparatively bad the Ravens' passing game on the road is in comparison to the rest of the league. So I did a bit of research and a bit of excel work to compare 10 QBs from likely playoff teams across the league in their performance at home vs on the road. Disclaimer: I am not pointing this out in order to burn Flacco, merely to show where the Ravens level of performance is in relation to the rest of the league that has a good chance to go to the playoffs. I think the numbers speak for themselves...

    Schaub home: 129 att, 83 comp, 64.34%, 956 yds, 7.4 y/a, 5 TD, 2 INT, 93.0 rating
    Schaub road: 93 att, 57 comp, 61.29%, 694 yds, 7.5 y/a, 5 TD, 2 INT, 93.2 rating

    Ryan home: 113 att, 73 comp, 64.6%, 837 yds, 7.4 y/a, 6 TD, 4 INT, 89.7 rating
    Ryan road: 123 att, 87 comp, 70.73%, 919 yds, 7.5 y/a, 8 TD, 2 INT, 107.1 rating

    Smith home: 108 att, 71 comp, 65.74%, 869 yds, 8.0 y/a, 6 TD, 4 INT, 93.5 rating
    Smith road: 82 att, 56 comp, 68.29%, 558 yds, 6.8 y/a, 3 TD, 1 INT, 94.5 rating

    Roethlisburger home: 69 att, 46 comp, 66.67%, 495 yds, 7.2 y/a, 3 TD, 0 INT, 102.0 rating
    Roethlisburger road: 166 att, 109 comp, 65.66%, 1270 yds, 7.7 y/a, 8 TD, 3 INT, 97.2 rating

    Eli home: 160 att, 103 comp, 64.38%, 1319 yds, 8.2 y/a, 8 TD, 6 INT, 91.1 rating
    Eli road: 105 att, 66 comp, 62.86%, 790 yds, 7.5 y/a, 4 TD, 1 INT, 94.5 rating

    Peyton home: 116 att, 75 comp, 64.66%, 921 yds, 7.9 y/a, 7 TD, 0 INT, 109.2 rating
    Peyton road: 111 att, 76 comp, 68.47%, 897 yds, 8.1 y/a, 7 TD, 4 INT, 98.8 rating

    Brees home: 133 att, 73 comp, 54.89%, 949 yds, 7.1 y/a, 10 TD, 4 INT, 90.1 rating
    Brees road: 140 att, 93 comp, 66.43%, 1148 yds, 8.2 y/a, 8 TD, 3 INT, 101.7 rating

    Brady home: 119 att, 77 comp, 64.71%, 798 yds, 6.7 y/a, 4 TD, 1 INT, 91.6 rating
    Brady road: 166 att, 109 comp, 65.66%, 1306 yds, 7.9 y/a, 8 TD, 2 INT, 100.6 rating

    Rodgers home: 117 att, 83 comp, 70.94%, 841 yds, 7.2 y/a, 7 TD, 3 INT, 100.4 rating
    Rodgers road: 145 att, 100 comp, 68.97%, 1138 yds, 7.8 y/a, 12 TD, 1 INT, 117.0 rating

    Flacco home: 143 att, 96 comp, 67.13%, 1301 yds, 9.1 y/a, 7 TD, 2 INT, 106.4 rating
    Flacco road: 112 att, 56 comp, 50.0%, 566 yds, 5.1 y/a, 2 TD, 4 INT, 55.9 rating
    Those stats are pretty damning.

    I wonder what the stats were for previous years.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  11. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    I wonder how much of that drop off has to do with Flacco and how much it has to do with the offensive system? Do the Ravens have an offensive system that only works with no crowd noise? Is there a problem getting plays in? Or is Flacco just wilting under the added pressure of a hostile stadium?
    Fair question.

    Clutch at PIT for consecutive years.
    Certainly did HIS part at NE last year.
    And I believe that his was statistically good at HOU last year on a national stage.

    I think its Cam's no frills system (getting tired of typing "vanilla"), Joe's poor ability to progress to his 2nd or 3rd DOWNFIELD read, and the OL quality.


    From my SG3
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the Draft

    Settle down. John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's Baltimore Ravens can beat any team, anywhere.

    Having fun talking football and tech stuff on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    4,502

    Re: How's that potent passing offense doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    I think you need to take into consideration more than just the numbers especially with such a small sample size to work with--only 3 road games.

    What I notice is that when you look at who we played at home and who on the road so far, a pattern emerges.

    Home Games: against Bengals, Patriots, Browns & Cowboys (all played zone or mostly zone, yes even the Cowboys**)
    Away Games: against Eagles, Chiefs & Texans (all played man to man, Eagles made switch in 2nd half and we saw the drastic difference it made)

    Seems to me our success at home and struggles on the road have less to do with where we play and more to do with what defensive scheme we face.

    **According to this article: "On Sunday at Baltimore, the Cowboys played full press coverage eight times. They were full off 13 times and played half press 20 times."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...on-carrs-press
    I agree, but only to a point. 3 games is a very small sample size, but this is alarming. Flacco needs to get his shit together. He wants 100 million? Please.




  13. #28

    Re: How's that potent passing offense doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Those stats are pretty damning.

    I wonder what the stats were for previous years.
    I can't tell you that for all the QBs lited, but I can say that Flacco was a lot more consistent last year:

    Flacco home 2011: 276 att, 158 comp, 57.25%, 2004 yds, 7.3 y/a, 12 TD, 6 INT, 85.5 rating
    Flacco away 2011: 293 att, 168 comp, 57.34%, 1792 yds, 6.1 y/a, 10 TD, 6 INT, 78.2 rating

    I don't know why the big swing this year, but as I mentioned in another thread, it seems to me that the big diff between years is the no huddle. Based on the above, I think the Ravens should probably forget about the no-huddle on the road...




  14. #29

    Re: How's that potent passing offense doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    I think you need to take into consideration more than just the numbers especially with such a small sample size to work with--only 3 road games.

    What I notice is that when you look at who we played at home and who on the road so far, a pattern emerges.

    Home Games: against Bengals, Patriots, Browns & Cowboys (all played zone or mostly zone, yes even the Cowboys**)
    Away Games: against Eagles, Chiefs & Texans (all played man to man, Eagles made switch in 2nd half and we saw the drastic difference it made)

    Seems to me our success at home and struggles on the road have less to do with where we play and more to do with what defensive scheme we face.

    **According to this article: "On Sunday at Baltimore, the Cowboys played full press coverage eight times. They were full off 13 times and played half press 20 times."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...on-carrs-press
    I just want to bump this excellent post, as it appears to be a huge part of the equation that people are ignoring. The quality of the defense you play kinda has SOME impact on the success of your offense, I would think.




  15. #30

    Re: How's that potent passing offense doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Fair question.

    Clutch at PIT for consecutive years.
    Certainly did HIS part at NE last year.
    And I believe that his was statistically good at HOU last year on a national stage.

    I think its Cam's no frills system (getting tired of typing "vanilla"), Joe's poor ability to progress to his 2nd or 3rd DOWNFIELD read, and the OL quality.


    From my SG3
    We played Houston at home both games last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    I can't tell you that for all the QBs lited, but I can say that Flacco was a lot more consistent last year:

    Flacco home 2011: 276 att, 158 comp, 57.25%, 2004 yds, 7.3 y/a, 12 TD, 6 INT, 85.5 rating
    Flacco away 2011: 293 att, 168 comp, 57.34%, 1792 yds, 6.1 y/a, 10 TD, 6 INT, 78.2 rating

    I don't know why the big swing this year, but as I mentioned in another thread, it seems to me that the big diff between years is the no huddle. Based on the above, I think the Ravens should probably forget about the no-huddle on the road...
    I agree...frankly, I think if we are only going to use it at home, I think for the most part, it should be scrapped unless it's needed. It also isn't helping by giving the opponent more possessions and putting our defense out there more.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland