Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: How's that potent passing offense doing?

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    The debate around here over the last couple of days got me thinking... I was wondering just how comparatively bad the Ravens' passing game on the road is in comparison to the rest of the league. So I did a bit of research and a bit of excel work to compare 10 QBs from likely playoff teams across the league in their performance at home vs on the road. Disclaimer: I am not pointing this out in order to burn Flacco, merely to show where the Ravens level of performance is in relation to the rest of the league that has a good chance to go to the playoffs. I think the numbers speak for themselves...

Schaub home: 129 att, 83 comp, 64.34%, 956 yds, 7.4 y/a, 5 TD, 2 INT, 93.0 rating
    Schaub road: 93 att, 57 comp, 61.29%, 694 yds, 7.5 y/a, 5 TD, 2 INT, 93.2 rating

Ryan home: 113 att, 73 comp, 64.6%, 837 yds, 7.4 y/a, 6 TD, 4 INT, 89.7 rating
    Ryan road: 123 att, 87 comp, 70.73%, 919 yds, 7.5 y/a, 8 TD, 2 INT, 107.1 rating

Smith home: 108 att, 71 comp, 65.74%, 869 yds, 8.0 y/a, 6 TD, 4 INT, 93.5 rating
    Smith road: 82 att, 56 comp, 68.29%, 558 yds, 6.8 y/a, 3 TD, 1 INT, 94.5 rating

Roethlisburger home: 69 att, 46 comp, 66.67%, 495 yds, 7.2 y/a, 3 TD, 0 INT, 102.0 rating
    Roethlisburger road: 166 att, 109 comp, 65.66%, 1270 yds, 7.7 y/a, 8 TD, 3 INT, 97.2 rating

Eli home: 160 att, 103 comp, 64.38%, 1319 yds, 8.2 y/a, 8 TD, 6 INT, 91.1 rating
    Eli road: 105 att, 66 comp, 62.86%, 790 yds, 7.5 y/a, 4 TD, 1 INT, 94.5 rating

Peyton home: 116 att, 75 comp, 64.66%, 921 yds, 7.9 y/a, 7 TD, 0 INT, 109.2 rating
    Peyton road: 111 att, 76 comp, 68.47%, 897 yds, 8.1 y/a, 7 TD, 4 INT, 98.8 rating

Brees home: 133 att, 73 comp, 54.89%, 949 yds, 7.1 y/a, 10 TD, 4 INT, 90.1 rating
    Brees road: 140 att, 93 comp, 66.43%, 1148 yds, 8.2 y/a, 8 TD, 3 INT, 101.7 rating

Brady home: 119 att, 77 comp, 64.71%, 798 yds, 6.7 y/a, 4 TD, 1 INT, 91.6 rating
    Brady road: 166 att, 109 comp, 65.66%, 1306 yds, 7.9 y/a, 8 TD, 2 INT, 100.6 rating

Rodgers home: 117 att, 83 comp, 70.94%, 841 yds, 7.2 y/a, 7 TD, 3 INT, 100.4 rating
    Rodgers road: 145 att, 100 comp, 68.97%, 1138 yds, 7.8 y/a, 12 TD, 1 INT, 117.0 rating

Flacco home: 143 att, 96 comp, 67.13%, 1301 yds, 9.1 y/a, 7 TD, 2 INT, 106.4 rating
    Flacco road: 112 att, 56 comp, 50.0%, 566 yds, 5.1 y/a, 2 TD, 4 INT, 55.9 rating
    Those stats are pretty damning.

I wonder what the stats were for previous years.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    I wonder how much of that drop off has to do with Flacco and how much it has to do with the offensive system? Do the Ravens have an offensive system that only works with no crowd noise? Is there a problem getting plays in? Or is Flacco just wilting under the added pressure of a hostile stadium?
    Fair question.

Clutch at PIT for consecutive years.
    Certainly did HIS part at NE last year.
    And I believe that his was statistically good at HOU last year on a national stage.

I think its Cam's no frills system (getting tired of typing "vanilla"), Joe's poor ability to progress to his 2nd or 3rd DOWNFIELD read, and the OL quality.

From my SG3
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    I think you need to take into consideration more than just the numbers especially with such a small sample size to work with--only 3 road games.

What I notice is that when you look at who we played at home and who on the road so far, a pattern emerges.

Home Games: against Bengals, Patriots, Browns & Cowboys (all played zone or mostly zone, yes even the Cowboys**)
    Away Games: against Eagles, Chiefs & Texans (all played man to man, Eagles made switch in 2nd half and we saw the drastic difference it made)

Seems to me our success at home and struggles on the road have less to do with where we play and more to do with what defensive scheme we face.

**According to this article: "On Sunday at Baltimore, the Cowboys played full press coverage eight times. They were full off 13 times and played half press 20 times."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...on-carrs-press
    I agree, but only to a point. 3 games is a very small sample size, but this is alarming. Flacco needs to get his shit together. He wants 100 million? Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Those stats are pretty damning.

I wonder what the stats were for previous years.
    I can't tell you that for all the QBs lited, but I can say that Flacco was a lot more consistent last year:

Flacco home 2011: 276 att, 158 comp, 57.25%, 2004 yds, 7.3 y/a, 12 TD, 6 INT, 85.5 rating
    Flacco away 2011: 293 att, 168 comp, 57.34%, 1792 yds, 6.1 y/a, 10 TD, 6 INT, 78.2 rating

I don't know why the big swing this year, but as I mentioned in another thread, it seems to me that the big diff between years is the no huddle. Based on the above, I think the Ravens should probably forget about the no-huddle on the road...

I think you need to take into consideration more than just the numbers especially with such a small sample size to work with--only 3 road games.

What I notice is that when you look at who we played at home and who on the road so far, a pattern emerges.

Home Games: against Bengals, Patriots, Browns & Cowboys (all played zone or mostly zone, yes even the Cowboys**)
    Away Games: against Eagles, Chiefs & Texans (all played man to man, Eagles made switch in 2nd half and we saw the drastic difference it made)

Seems to me our success at home and struggles on the road have less to do with where we play and more to do with what defensive scheme we face.

**According to this article: "On Sunday at Baltimore, the Cowboys played full press coverage eight times. They were full off 13 times and played half press 20 times."
    I just want to bump this excellent post, as it appears to be a huge part of the equation that people are ignoring. The quality of the defense you play kinda has SOME impact on the success of your offense, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Fair question.

Clutch at PIT for consecutive years.
    Certainly did HIS part at NE last year.
    And I believe that his was statistically good at HOU last year on a national stage.

I think its Cam's no frills system (getting tired of typing "vanilla"), Joe's poor ability to progress to his 2nd or 3rd DOWNFIELD read, and the OL quality.

From my SG3
    We played Houston at home both games last year.

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    I can't tell you that for all the QBs lited, but I can say that Flacco was a lot more consistent last year:

Flacco home 2011: 276 att, 158 comp, 57.25%, 2004 yds, 7.3 y/a, 12 TD, 6 INT, 85.5 rating
    Flacco away 2011: 293 att, 168 comp, 57.34%, 1792 yds, 6.1 y/a, 10 TD, 6 INT, 78.2 rating

I don't know why the big swing this year, but as I mentioned in another thread, it seems to me that the big diff between years is the no huddle. Based on the above, I think the Ravens should probably forget about the no-huddle on the road...
    I agree...frankly, I think if we are only going to use it at home, I think for the most part, it should be scrapped unless it's needed. It also isn't helping by giving the opponent more possessions and putting our defense out there more.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I just want to bump this excellent post, as it appears to be a huge part of the equation that people are ignoring. The quality of the defense you play kinda has SOME impact on the success of your offense, I would think.
    But KC and Dallas have pretty crappy defenses.

But KC and Dallas have pretty crappy defenses.
    Dallas is a top 5 defense (and #3 vs the pass) and KC is right in the middle. Neither are crappy.

NE on the other hand...

Dallas is a top 5 defense (and #3 vs the pass) and KC is right in the middle. Neither are crappy.

NE on the other hand...
    By what metric? KC is giving up the 3rd most points in the league, and Dallas is in the mid teens.

Or are you going by the metric where the 2000 ravens defense was only the second best in the league that season?

By what metric? KC is giving up the 3rd most points in the league, and Dallas is in the mid teens.

Or are you going by the metric where the 2000 ravens defense was only the second best in the league that season?
    I'm using the same metric the NFL uses.

The same metric that had fans going apeshit about the defense before the Texans game because before that game, we were doing well in points defensively.

Dallas defense is a good defense and all defenses would give up a ton of points if their offense turned the ball over at the historic rate that KC's offense is.

I'm using the same metric the NFL uses.

The same metric that had fans going apeshit about the defense before the Texans game because before that game, we were doing well in points defensively.

Dallas defense is a good defense and all defenses would give up a ton of points if their offense turned the ball over at the historic rate that KC's offense is.
    So the Ravens weren't the best NFL defense in 2000. Got it.

No disagreement with the small sample size bit. However, it's football, so small sample sizes just go with the territory. I think it's worth considering, because it's so far out of whack with the way the rest of the league plays away from home, and so far out of whack with how the Ravens performed last year with mostly the same personnel.

Who knows, maybe the Ravens go put up 35 on the next two road games, and my concerns are for naught...

Edit: While I can't argue your bit about defensive schemes, I'd argue that it's kind of irrelevant. Bottom line is, the Ravens offense is paid to put up points irrespective of how the defense across from them lines up. If there are ways in which an opposing defense can play that completely nullify the ability of the offense to do anything positive... well, we don't have a very good offense then, yeah?
    Last edited by redmike34; 10-23-2012 at 10:34 AM.