Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Harbaugh loyal to a fault... Ravens coaching staff

Quote Originally Posted by ravens1217 View Post
    Whether you think our assistants are the best in the NFL or not, you can't just fire everybody, it's unrealistic. This collective group, management, players, coaches, etc. have won a playoff game in 4 straight years, which is rarely done in the NFL and something we as fans should be proud of. You praise Wade Phillips, who just last week gave up 6 TD passes to Aaron Rodgers and was absolutely torched. Mike Nolan is now with his 3rd team in 4 years, there's a reason he's finding a new home almost every season.

Everybody from the top on down turned in a dud yesterday, but they're not going to hit the panic button just yet. Bye week came at a great time, and they have 2 weeks to figure it out. It's not just the coaches to blame, the players have to take some responsibility, its not as black and white as people make it out to be. Now if we lose say 4 or 5 in a row, then something major might happen, but I still think they wait until the year is over to make a decision on Cam.

Like I keep saying, win your games at home and find a way to split on the road, and you are guaranteed a first round bye.
    It was not just yesterday. The problems on offense have been ongoing for years. The defense has fallen to bottom five in the league. That is unacceptable. I could see falling to 15-20 range. How is the defense worst than Indy? Because Harbs was loyal to Cam and Moeller they are stuck with one of them next year as they are probably not going to change over their entire staff. It is the coaches responsibility to get the players to perform. I am not expecting them to make decision in season. I think the coaches should be given the bye week to get things turned around. If they dont I am not sure the team makes the playoffs. If they dont I hope they make some significant changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    I hear ya but not buying it. Nolan was a guy who was unsuccessful in SF as a head coach and not a guy who IMO just walks into a team that has been to 4 straight playoffs and supplants the head coach. If this is the reason then its worse than I feared. Look Gary Kubiack had the stones to bring in Wade Phillips to be his D coordinator. Phillips is about as popular as one can get in Houston (Texas boy, dad Bum was popular etc..) but it did not stop him from bringing him in.

I just think John felt obligated to move up one of his guys. Pees has coordinator experience and was ok as a coordinator so I guess it makes sense. Just think that Nolan has a better pedigree and a history with the team.
    1. Ray did not like playing in Nolan's 3-4 D.

2. Nolan's history with the team really means nothing when only 2 players remain with the team who were here when Nolan was.

3. Other than when a new staff has been hired with a new HC (and,even then, not always), the team has always promoted from within when replacing a coordinator. That predates Harbaugh.

Oh, and most HC's are just as loyal as Harbaugh.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 10-22-2012 at 09:03 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

I am wondering if Ozzie and Bisciotti are to the point where they tell Harbaugh to make some changes, or his job is on the line. Did the Ravens just extend Harbaugh's contract?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post

2. Nolan's history with the team really means nothing when only 2 players remain with the team who were here when Nolan was.

3. Other than when a new staff has been hired with a new HC (and,even then, not always), the team has always promoted from within when replacing a coordinator. That predates Harbaugh.
    All very good points. Ray's displeasure with Nolan's defense, sort of, ushered in Rex Ryan's time as DC and the drafting of Haloti Ngata. Chris McAlister was a big reason why Nolan's defenses were good, but Ray was getting touched too often and he certainly voiced his displeasure.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    What's Moeller's connection to this cabal? I've been snooping around the intertoobz & I haven't found any direct link to Harbaugh prior to coming here. Is he Cam's fair-haired boy?
    They all go back to Michigan. Moeller's dad was Michigan's head coach before he got fired, err resigned, for getting arrested in a drunken assault in a restaurant.

Pees isn't close to the problem this defense has.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way but I think your smoking crack. Harbaugh has more than made a name for himself. He doesn't get the media hype because he's not a media hound but if Harbaugh were fired today, he'd have his choice of jobs. He's a guy that consistently produces a winning record year after year. He's made the playoffs and been able to win on the road. The only thing keeping Harbaugh from being a star in the NFL is that elusive Superbowl ring, which if he continues to knock on the door, he will eventually get.
    :word
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Regarding Pees...I understand why they went with him, but I thought Ted Monachino would be the better choice. Young, hungry, and aggressive.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    They all go back to Michigan. Moeller's dad was Michigan's head coach before he got fired, err resigned, for getting arrested in a drunken assault in a restaurant.
    Aaah geez, hereditary alcoholism, doncha love it. It looks like he had an alcohol-related auto accident in December 2007. One may be forgiven for wondering if after that, taking into consideration his dad's demise as Wolverine HC, the school suggested he look for work somewhere else--& sonofagun, John Harbaugh found a place for him here.

Forget Mattison, forget Cam--if there's one hire that looks for all the world like pure nepotism, it's Moeller. He needs to be gone, yesterday if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post

Oh, and most HC's are just as loyal as Harbaugh.
    This is very true. Not sure how many head coaches keep Cam as long as John has IMO in light of pretty spotty results, a patchy relationship with the franchise QB and a tendency to forget that Ray Rice is always the best offensive weapon on the field.

How many times do we have to hear the news conference were the Ravens reiterate how much Ray Rice means to the offense and how they need to keep him involved...blah blah blah and then we end up having the same dog and pony show all over again when Ray has another game were he just disappears from the game plan. Its plain goofy. Maybe I am to harsh, it just seems silly that we have the same rant about 3-4 a season were we have to go off about how Ray Rice was just not utilized as he should be. Thats a big problem IMO and worthy of discussion.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Like to clear up a misconception here. Dean Pees should not get a pass on the state of the Ravens' D. During the last 2 years as New England's D coordinator, Pees was unpopular because his defenses were deemed too soft. Soft as in missed and arm tackling, Linebackers failing to plug gaps, D line getting blown off the ball, etc. Sound familiar? Granted, the N.E defense was in a state of flux during Pees' last two years with seasoned vets retiring or moving on and lesser talent moving in, however; the lack of fundamental skills angered the Patriot fan base and Pees took himself out of the N.E. equation. As a Raven fan, I recall New England signing the versatile former Raven Adalious Thomas who under Pees fell flat on his face because a stubborn Pees insisted Thomas was to be used strictly as a LB. Stubborn, sound familiar?

So let's say we finish the season 10-6, make the playoffs and lose in the first round. Everyone on here gets their way and we completely clean house. Next year the team gets off to a 0-5 start with a whole new regime of coaches. What would be said then??

There's a reason this team has made the playoffs for 4, going on 5 years in a row, and its not as simple as "we have better talent than the rest of the NFL" I hate to break it to you, but every team in the NFL has world class talent.