Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?

I would love to get Manti Teo but with the amount of holes we have now I don't think Ozzie would be willing to part with extra draft picks to move up for him.

I stated in another thread that I would love to get Okafor from Texas in the late 1st and Mosely in the 2nd.

Blog Entries

Although i do see LB as a weak position for us overall, yesterdays game didnt really give me the feeling that its an absolute must. Ellerbe has been playing very well all year and McClain was just signed to an extension. Teo may be a very good prospect, but i doubt we make any moves for him, and even at the end of the first are we sure hes BPA for this team?
    -JAB

McClain is looking like a waste of money.

I would have no problems cutting bait there.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Agreed. We invested a significant amount of money into him too.

Me either, he's a backup caliber player...I think Ellerbe has been solid but his play will probably get him a moderate deal on a bad team.

I think at least 4 of our first 5 picks need to be defense.

I can get with drafting an OT somewhere in those 5 picks if a guy is there, but we have a lot of needs on defense...if nothing else to give the young guys that aren't improving real, legit competition.

OT/DL/ILB/S/Pass rusher are the immediate needs.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I don't want to sound like a Monday-morning-QB here, but a few years ago I thought McClain should have been used at OLB. I think it was his rookie season where, in limited PT, he had a couple of sacks and a Safety... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I don't want to sound like a Monday-morning-QB here, but a few years ago I thought McClain should have been used at OLB. I think it was his rookie season where, in limited PT, he had a couple of sacks and a Safety... Bc
    I agree. At least he looked productive there when Rex was here in 08. When they moved him, I thought Mattison was nuts.

Blog Entries

I agree. At least he looked productive there when Rex was here in 08. When they moved him, I thought Mattison was nuts.
    We probably shouldnt be following through with anything Mattison put in place.
    -JAB

10. Re: What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?

McClain looked a lot better outside IMO. The defense definitely has to be looked at. I think Oz has missed a bit more lately. You can't say it's entirely his fault (Kindle), but it hasn't been as good as it has in years past. Pretty much every position needs help on D.
    Last edited by Lime in the Coconut; 10-22-2012 at 03:07 PM.

I hate Notre Dame.... grew up in Chicago and all I ever heard was Notre Dame this and Notre Dame that lol......

Manti Teo though is pretty beastly and would nicely fill a need at MLB. Unless it all goes to hell in a handbasket I kinda doubt he is on the board when we are drafting and considering the number of holes we have to fill, I would be unlikely to move up and get him.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I chuckled.

I can't see an ILB being Top 10 BPA (5-11 record).

If we miss the playoffs (which I don't think is likely) then Teo might be in BPA range. I'm starting to change my mind about him after previously thinking that he was overrated. Need to see more tape...
    Wasn't Rolando McClain a MLB who went in the top 10 too? It's not unprecedented.