Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?

This is like my third thread today lol, but hey it's my day off and I'm still as pissed as anyone about our performance yesterday.

Been watching some Notre Dame games this year, and I am sold on Manti Teo, but was always doubting our chances of getting him in the draft as many consider him to be as high as a top 5 pick (I actually doubt that). You knew Manti Teo was going to be bought up at some point. I don't know where we will be picking, but is it maybe even worth giving up picks to trade up for him if he's really that good? Ozzie probably wont, but I really believe this guy can be as good as the Brian Cushings/Patrick Willis/Novoro Bowmans of the league.

He's pretty good in coverage for a big man, and looks like he'd be a great fit in our 3-4 scheme. He has good speed, not elite speed, but he can get from side line to side line better than any of our LB's. He would probably automatically upgrade our run defense up the middle, he comes up and meets RB's in the holes and smashes them back, he can also set the edge well, and forces players to run away from him from east to west instead of north or south.

So far this year in 7 games, he has recorded 69 total tackles (29 solo), 4 interceptions (very impressive for a LB), 2 tackles for a loss, 0 sacks yet, 7 passes defended, no forced fumbles yet, one fumble return for 8 yards.

What I love, and I know that Harbaugh will love about this guy is that he managed to have a career day the same week he lost his grandmother and girlfriend in one week.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8468427

Re: What's the chances of us landing Manti Teo in the draft?

The Ravens will have a shot if they go 5-11.

I doubt we are close enough to have a shot at him unless we tank the rest of our season...which I don't expect at all.

Another guy that I have been and am REALLY impressed with is CJ Mosely out of Alabama. That guy is smaller, but he's athletic, physical, and very instinctive. And he is good in the passing game as well.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I doubt we are close enough to have a shot at him unless we tank the rest of our season...which I don't expect at all.

Another guy that I have been and am REALLY impressed with is CJ Mosely out of Alabama. That guy is smaller, but he's athletic, physical, and very instinctive. And he is good in the passing game as well.
    I really like CJ Moseley too, and he'd fit in well coming to play with his old team mate Upshaw if he was drafted. He is probably a second round talent at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    The Ravens will have a shot if they go 5-11.

I chuckled.

I can't see an ILB being Top 10 BPA (5-11 record).

If we miss the playoffs (which I don't think is likely) then Teo might be in BPA range. I'm starting to change my mind about him after previously thinking that he was overrated. Need to see more tape...

I do feel that we should target the defensive line first IMO, but he would fill a definate need.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I chuckled.

I can't see an ILB being Top 10 BPA (5-11 record).

If we miss the playoffs (which I don't think is likely) then Teo might be in BPA range. I'm starting to change my mind about him after previously thinking that he was overrated. Need to see more tape...
    Luke Kuechly went in the top 10 this year, 8 overall to Carolina I believe. Teo has looked just as impressive as Kuechly did last year in his senior year, so I think Teo will be high on many draft boards. But I agree that he may fall because of the position he plays. The good thing is, we can reap the benefits of the devaluation of the position and take the BPA at the position, as we desperately need a good one with Ray Lewis soon to be retired (whenever that is).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I do feel that we should target the defensive line first IMO, but he would fill a definate need.
    We need a new nose tackle, a big guy who can eat up blockers than what Cody and Kemo are doing this year. There are some interesting options in the draft, but plenty of good nose tackles can be found in the second round IMO. I really like the look of John Jenkins from Georgia (6'2, 360 lbs) but very athletic in the mold of Wilfolk. I think McBean can come back strong, and fill the void left by Cory Redding next year too.

Blog Entries

I am huge ND fan so I've watched him for years. He's a top 10 pick, IMO.

Unless we trade, we won't stand a chance...

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Someone else mentioned him, and i like that idea, if i remember correctly he was the nickel lb when Hightower was there.

I think we need the best available DT/NT in the first round, then maybe trade up to the top half of the second to get Mosley. With those moves, the front 7 would improve (hopefully).

iggyman555 Guest

as i posted in another thread we need to go OL/DL DL/OL in the first 2 rounds and the rest of the draft should be all D