Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Why does Birk use the exact same shotgun snap routine every freaking time?

Just watched the safety again. My oh my oh my I didn't think it was that damn noticeable.

Before the snap there was a guy lined up to birks right, between him and yanda, I think it was smith, then mercilus I thnk, number 53 on Williams and Barwin was lined up on oher.

Then it happens, yanda slaps birk,smith slides over on top of Williams, causing Williams to block him, oher then has to pull inside to block mercilus, or whoever 53 is and then that leaves Barwin untouched.

They knew the snap count, point blank, yanda slaps birk, birk looks between his legs and presto, snapped.

iggyman555 Guest

why doesnt joe ever use hard counts or fake snap (brady, peyton, rivers etc) to see whos blitzing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    why doesnt joe ever use hard counts or fake snap (brady, peyton, rivers etc) to see whos blitzing
    It's bad coaching plain and simple. Flacco has a good hard count when he uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    He occasionally does a hard count, but only when he's under the center. The shotgun routine never varies. I've never seen the fake snap thing, either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    It's bad coaching plain and simple. Flacco has a good hard count when he uses it.
    Maybe it's me, but I don't ever notice Flacco using any kind of cadence or count (in shotgun) when the stadium is loud and they are on the road.

Birk looks under his legs, Yanda looks back, Yanda waves his hand signaling something to Birk, ball snaps.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Maybe it's me, but I don't ever notice Flacco using any kind of cadence or count (in shotgun) when the stadium is loud and they are on the road.

Birk looks under his legs, Yanda looks back, Yanda waves his hand signaling something to Birk, ball snaps.
    I don't either. I'm talking about when Joe does use a hard count which isn't on the road.

Blog Entries

And you can't really blame the players for doing that, the coaches have to find a way to overcome it and adjust that shit. Moellers an idiot.

Is Julian Castello still out there after Philly fired him? He may not be a good DC, but he was a good Oline coach, maybe Harbaugh could consider giving him a call. I assume they were together in Philly a few years back. Not really sure on what scheme he believes in, but anythings better than this drunken moron that we have right now.

8. Re: Why does Birk use the exact same shotgun snap routine every freaking time?

Might as well bring in Castillo since Moeller will probably end up the fall guy anyway to protect Cam when Harbaugh starts feeling pressure from the top to hold somebody accountable for the offense's inconsistency and, at times, incompetence.

Blog Entries

Castillo was a decent OL coach in Philly.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Also, anyone else notice that Yanda waves his hand right behind Birk's leg and then Birk snaps it directly after? That's a pretty big tell as well.

This is a problem and one reason why DL's are able to jump the snap like they do against the Ravens.
    Maybe that's what I was seeing... But I did notice Yanda doing something.. I thought it was rocking back or a small foot flinch just before each snap. I guess I never thought about it being part of a pre-snap routine, I was more worried about him eventually getting called for a false start.

As far as a Hard Count goes... I do remember Flacco having a good one and using in past seasons and getting guys to jump more than a few times. It would seem to me that these guys are pros and should be able to flow seamlessly between a silent count/snap... hard count, etc from play to play based on wording in the play call.

As I said, it's not a new issue. Here's a Q&A with Mike Preston in the Sun from September last year, after the loss to the crummy Titans team.

Nate: It appears that Marshal Yanda is making the line calls on offense, and then getting set right as the ball is snapped. The timing of it seemed to allow Tennessee to jump the snap basically every play. What was going on?

Mike Preston: Nate, I don't know if Yanda was making the line calls, but he was giving some type of signal to center Matt Birk. Like you, I noticed the Titans had picked up on the Ravens' cadence and it appeared as if they knew the snap count. Coach John Harbaugh and offensive coordinator Cam Cameron have to review the cadence. A good quarterback will use a hard count to draw teams off sides. A major advantage for the offensive line, especially the weak-side tackle, is to get a good jump, but the Ravens lost that advantage several times against Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    As I said, it's not a new issue. Here's a Q&A with Mike Preston in the Sun from September last year, after the loss to the crummy Titans team.
    it doesn't happen at home, well, I haven't seen it at home, and I didn't notice it as much last year because we set up so late we were snapping the ball at 1 second on the play clock anyway.

But this year it's far more noticeable on the road, in shotgun especially, no matter how long is left n the play clock.