Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should we consider converting to a 4-3?

Watching the Texans game, it struck me that aside from Ngata, there's really no one else on the defensive line who's even somewhat formidable. All I saw all day was Ngata getting double teamed and the rest of their offensive line being able to over-match the other defensive linemen. It seems to me that if you've only got one guy on the DLine who can command a double team, then in a 3-4 you're allowing the offense to have an extra offensive lineman free to do whatever.

I noticed Schaub seemed to have all day, aside from the occasional time Upshaw or Suggs got into the backfield. I think it'd also allow more creativity in terms of stunts and misdirection. I think it'd also give us more options in the pass rush as well, on third downs you could drop Suggs down into the DE position and put Kruger in the OLB spot.

I know Oz doesn't make midseason trades, but I'd love to see him go out and grab a huge body like Richard Seymour, just someone to eat up blockers and swing the numbers in our favor.

I was hoping some of the posters here with more knowledge could share their opinion. Would adding an additional lineman help out in disrupting the pocket?

Blog Entries

Re: Should we consider converting to a 4-3?

Quite a few (including me) have suggested this switch on the board. I think first, we need a DC who has experience running the 4-3, and we need the LB's to do it. Jameel McClain isn't an ideal fit in a 4-3 scheme, and neither really is Kruger or Elerbee. McClellan is probably he best fit out of all our LB's with his size and athleticism.

So I think we draft a few LB's in the draft, bring in some pieces too. There are always LB's going for good value on the market, Erin Henderson for example is a guy I really liked and wanted in the offseason, but he resigned with the Vikes on only a one year deal, so we could easily make a move for him. In the draft, I really like the look of some of the LB's, mainly Teo. I think it's an obvious choice to draft a LB next.

On the Dline, Suggs is obviously an automatic fit as a hands in dirt kind of guy, and Upshaw could make a good player on the other side, but he's probably more suited as a 3-4 OLB. Ngata is going to destroy players no matter what scheme he's in, so we need a guy next to him on the Dline, and there are plenty of them in the draft.

Blog Entries

I got the answer!

1. Tank the rest of this season and draft Manti Te'o, then tank all of next season and draft Jadeveon Clowney.
    2. ?
    3. Profit!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    I got the answer!

1. Tank the rest of this season and draft Manti Te'o, then tank all of next season and draft Jadeveon Clowney.
    2. ?
    3. Profit!
    I think if we tank REALLY hard we might be able to get Star Lotuleilei!

Seriously though, I'm not so concerned about next year's draft. Moreso about what we can do over this bye week.

Blog Entries

Seriously, I'm not sure we have enough at DE to cover a 4-3; Suggs and McPhee are fits, but I'm not sure Upshaw and Kruger would be. I didn't see much Bama and don't know how much Upshaw played with his hand in the dirt... so I could be wrong there.

As for LB, I think our OLBs aren't really fits either, outside of McLellan. You have to think there would be coverage issues in trying to get our guys to fit a 4-3 scheme.

Blog Entries
    No one is changing schemes in season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    No one is changing schemes in season.
    Yeah not this season, but all we have to do is bring in the right guys to make the switch for next season. Draft a few LB's, bring in some pieces through FA (like I said, there are decent LB's that can be bought in cheap out there). I think Upshaw can play with his hand in the dirt too, he didn't do too much of it at Bama, but I think he could fit in there even though he's better uited to play 3-4 OLB being a natural run stopper.

As I recall we've historically (since the Rex Ryan days) ran a hybrid that utilized both, with 3-4 being our base. Would it be that hard to shift over our focus given that most of the starters also have some experience and familiarity with that scheme?

Nope, wouldnt want to give guys that already cant cover in space more ground to cover. I think the 3-4 D is fine, just need more talent.

Our pass defensive success prior to this season was based on the 3-4. Half a season's worth of struggles is not enough reason to change the scheme midseason or even next season. We just need to draft better and get more out of the guys we have now.

Blog Entries

Once upon a time the Ravens had the personnel to switch at will and they did when it suited them. One has to wonder...

At the very least it keep our lineman from being double teamed. And Harbaugh himself should have experience running a 4-3, that is what Jom Johnson ran in Philly all those years that he was there.

Not during the season, but yes, it should be under consideration for the offseason.

And no, you don't have to switch DC's just based on a front. Pees knows how to run a 4-3.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.