Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

With Suggs back, can our defense get back to being effective?

It's quite amazing to think that Suggs returned that early and looked so dominant. I can only imagine after the bye week, he will be in better shape, and he will probably be more healthy (who else was scared to death he'd hurt his achillies or something when he was out there?). If we went back into a time machine into the offseason and I said to everyone that Suggs will be back for Houston and will record a sack and stuff the run, everyone would have laughed their asses off. Most people were thinking December, and the biggest optimists were thinking late November.

So with Suggs back, Olines are now going to shift their blocking assignments to Suggs, either Ngata or Suggs has to be double teamed now, and they wont be able to do that all through the game. I think going forward the front 7 has to be this....

Ngata, Cody, McPhee

Upshaw, McClellan, Elerbee, Suggs

Rotational players: McClain (ILB), Kruger (OLB), A Jones (DE/DT), Kemo (NT)

Would like to see Bryan Hall and Tyson given a shot too, maybe Hall can win the stating job at NT, because Cody and Kemo are the true weak links of our defense right now. I wouldn't mind to see us sign a NT right now, is there anybody out there who could fill in?

Hopefully our front 7 can bring some pressure, and help our corners out and maybe enable them to play press coverage which would fit their strengths. I think Upshaw can develop into a decent pass rusher with Suggs opposite him now, and Kruger will look better in his old role as a pure pass rusher.

So can our defense get better? I honestly believe they have to if we want to win the SB, I don't think our offense is good enough to do what the Patriots do to make up for their defensive woes.

2. Re: With Suggs back, can our defense get back to being effective?

Kemo shouldn't be on the active roster, he's clearly done.
    Time for the youngbloods to be given their opportunity.
    Hall and Tyson should both be added into the rotation, then whoever stands out more, gets Kemo's spot. And if he outplays Cody too, he should get his spot.

It's obvious now that when Cody lost that weight, he didn't improve his technique or add enough strength to offset being easier to move. Plus he might be having trouble adjusting to his new center of gravity, which would explain why he has some trouble with his balance now.

Blog Entries

Re: With Suggs back, can our defense get back to being effective?

Sucks to say this leach, but I don't think Suggs is going to make that much of a difference. In some games he may, but over the course of the rest of the season? Not so sure.

Any good offensive coordinator is going to double down on Suggs because no one else in the front 7 can effectively and consistently beat 1-on-1.

Jared Allen is a great example of this. For years he has been one of the best defensive players in the league, but the Vikings' D hasn't been very good in a few years (on a whole) because teams just run away from Allen and/or double him.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Sucks to say this leach, but I don't think Suggs is going to make that much of a difference. In some games he may, but over the course of the rest of the season? Not so sure.

Any good offensive coordinator is going to double down on Suggs because no one else in the front 7 can effectively and consistently beat 1-on-1.

Jared Allen is a great example of this. For years he has been one of the best defensive players in the league, but the Vikings' D hasn't been very good in a few years (on a whole) because teams just run away from Allen and/or double him.
    I disagree, I think Ngata requires double teams most of the time too, and I think Upshaw can develop into a guy like that eventually. Our front 7 was pretty much the same players as last year, apart from JJ and Redding, and neither of those guys really demanded double teams, so we're not losing a whole bunch there, although McPhee is a downgrade from Redding as an every down player. Upshaw is arguably so far just as good as JJ was last year too.

Blog Entries

The answer is no. Suggs had a great game Sunday and it didn't mean shit. It's like how Jared Allen was putting up 20 sack seasons for a bad defense. They replace a good chunk of those around him and suddenly the Vikings D is a lot more effective. Pass rushers are critical to good teams but they can still put up their numbers for bad defenses.

On Sunday night they put up and interesting stat. The Bengals have had the most sacks over the past couple of seasons. Anyone truly scared of that defense?

Suggs return makes them instantly better but how much better is the biggest question mark right now? I think guys were trying to do too much and their focus and technique got lost in the process. Suggs return relieves some of that pressure. Upshaw has really improved with each game so just imagine the two of them on the field together more often setting the edge more effectively. Kruger is better off being a situation player right now and Ngata may not command as much attention as he was getting before.

Sure, a pash rusher of his calibre will certainly be welcome, but expect him to now be doubled and we still have issues with stopping the run.

Yes, we limited Foster on Sunday but I'm still not convinced we're on the right track. Yet.

Blog Entries

Suggs will definitely improve this defense a lot. Anytime you get a reigning DPOY back, it's going to help your defense. The d-line needs to improve though. I want to see more of Hall and Tyson, and I think we will from what Harbaugh said.

I think it will improve if Ngata can get healthy. That's how all those other guys looked so good last year. McPhee, Jones, and Cody all looked better last season at least partly because of Ngata and Suggs. If Suggs is doubled and Ngata is doubled, then you will have 1 on 1 for the other guys which works out better for them. That's why we were so high on the young guys last year. Losing Redding hurts no matter how you slice it though.

I've said this all season long, and I do think it is the philosophy under which Newsome built this year's team, but how well or poorly the defense plays is entirely dependent upon the offense.

If the offense stutters or doesn't get out to fast starts, the defense, and the team, is in trouble.

11. Re: With Suggs back, can our defense get back to being effective?

The reason Suggs returned and looked so dominant is because he was really suspended for the bounty comments. After four years, the league suspended him but could not say that because people would wonder why it took four years. Throw in the "confusion" over how the injury happened and everyone forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangePurple View Post
    The reason Suggs returned and looked so dominant is because he was really suspended for the bounty comments. After four years, the league suspended him but could not say that because people would wonder why it took four years. Throw in the "confusion" over how the injury happened and everyone forgot.
    Hmmm - Got a link for that?!!