Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Time for some in house changes?

Whether it happens now (probably not a wise idea) or in the offseason, it has become apparent that the current system has held us back from consistent performance, and now even the defensive system has fallen to bits which could even cost us a play off birth this year. The defense has bailed us out in the past and got us far in the play offs, but that can only work for so long, and it's hard to win a SB playing that that way. It has now caught up with us, and the offense has failed so far to consistently carry us now that the defense has finally lost a major step (which was bound to happen eventually).

The drunken Oline (Andy Moeller) coach seriously needs to go. Ever since he's been here, our Oline has had some serious fundamental issues for the past 2 or 3 years. We had one of the best Olines in Flaccos first two years in the league, and now it's gone to shit. It's not the players IMO, there are plenty of capable Olines in the league with much less talent than us. We have arguably the best guard in football, a veteran and decent center, a big strong rookie at right tackle, and even Michael Oher isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be. I bet any money he'd look better playing on the Patriots Oline. We ran a straight up power run scheme up front which worked very well with our line, then this new coach tries adopting the ZBS, but we just don't have the guys to run that scheme. They are all maulers (apart from Matt Birk).

We have the talent to be much better and more consistent up front, but our coach has failed to do that, so I think it's time for a change. Some have mentioned the Philly DC as a possible candidate as he was an Oline coach before becoming the DC. The WR coach has done a terrible job developing our WR's, I'm not sure how long he's been here, but our WR's still have serious separation issues, even though we have an emerging talent in Torrey, and a really solid veteran in AnQuan Boldin. Both would look better playing in the Patriots or Packers offense, they need to get separation on a much more consistent basis.

Then the main culprit Cam Cameron, who is the most puzzling OC in the league. I have been a semi defender of Cam up to this point, and many doomsday posters here would argue and say that he's fine and all, and it's just the players. I kind of find that hard to believe with the talent we have. Why the fuck does he forget about Rice when we go behind by one score? And why does he forget about Flacco when we are up by only one score? There is NO happy medium with him, no consistency, and no adjustments. We need a brand new offensive system, and a system that gets the best out of all our players playing to their strengths. Norv isn't the answer, we need to get away from the Coryell offense, it's not a good fit for todays NFL.

I wont get onto the defense because it's the first time we've been poor, and it wont be that hard to fix the defense in the offseason, I think it's more on the players rather than the system or the coaches on the D side.

What say you? What needs to change?

No the sky isn't falling at 5-2, but I have a hard time believing we have a shot at the SB with the way we're playing. Just making the play offs simply isn't good enough anymore.

Re: Time for some in house changes?

Harbaughs a good head coach. The others need to go - beginning with Cam. Cam is an albatross hanging around the neck of the offense.

This team will not make the playoffs - in which case Cam will be gone - just like he should have last January. If you remember the news reports he expressed some surprised at not being replaced. When you think that about yourself you can only conclude that the people who think you're wrong about yourself are in fact delusional - and maybe don't really know as much as they would have you believe.

Harbs needs to grow a set, and get in his coaches faces when they are calling a bad game.

It would have been nice to see Pees go over and cold cock Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    It would have been nice to see Pees go over and cold cock Cameron.
    Now that would have been hilarious......

I wish Harbs had the balls to smack Cameron and then tell Joe to fire up the offense on the sidelines instead of sitting by himself on the bench. This team needs some fire from the top and I am just not seeing it week to week.

Fire Cameron as soon as possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    Harbaughs a good head coach. The others need to go - beginning with Cam. Cam is an albatross hanging around the neck of the offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    Harbs needs to grow a set, and get in his coaches faces when they are calling a bad game.
    :word

And add Terryl Austin to the list who tells our CB's to play off coverage.

Blog Entries

Just curious, but how can you even claim to know what goes on behind closed doors?

We all know the Ravens organization from top to bottom is one of the most tight lipped orgs that exist in pro sports...why would Harbs ever get in Cam's face or Dean's face on the sidelines, berate them publicly, and expect to still have a job?

Everyone can rant and rave all they want about how poor Harbs is at handling his coordinators, but not one single person on this forum knows what goes on in the locker room, in the meeting room, and in their offices.

Harbs knows what the problems are. A lot of these issues can't be fixed over night and some of them can't and won't be fixed/addressed until next off-season.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

And in the players faces when they demonstrate a lack of discipline on the field!!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    And in the players faces when they demonstrate a lack of discipline on the field!!
    Pay attention to the sidelines. He does that.

Remember a couple of pre-seasons ago when Ellerbe had a pick 6 and started acting like an asshole on the field? As soon as he got off the field Harbs was in his face ripping him a new one.

When Christian Thompson got into some swings on Sunday against Houston as soon as he came off the sideline Harbs was right there saying "what the hell was that?"
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I has now officially given up on Cam. get him gone. now. Billick firing Fassell was one of his best moves and it paid off. promote Caldwell. NOW.
    I think Belichek was his own DC in Nengland. bottom line, the D is poor now, and it's probly a combo talent loss and coaching. I for one would love to see Rex come back but know that isn't likely. don't think they realized how much JJ and Redding were contributing; or maybe they figured the O was ready to light it up. maybe they still will; Hst has a good D.
    let's face it, no one here wants 10-6 and a brief playoff run. That's Norv Turner territory.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Saying the Ravens won't make the playoffs is a stretch. Let's not get carried away. It's very likely that we go 4-0 or either 3-1 the rest of the way at home. Which means we need just two road wins to get to 10-6, with Cleveland on the schedule that's already one. The Ravens will find away to win another or two to get in. After that it's anyone's ball game. I am not conceding the division, the playoffs, or the Superbowl over one game. Every loss counts the same and we were not going to go undefeated.

Having said that I am really tired of Cam's system. I want to see what this offense could do if they moved away from Air Coryell a little bit and did what most offense do, mix it up. Cam has had his chance to make this offense a consistent threat and he hasn't done it. Maybe you don't immediately kick him to the curb, but I think we need to bring in someone who would give us the option to do so. Wouldn't have minded seeing Hue return but I know he and Harbs are not the best of friends. Joe Flacco will soon be a 100+ million dollar investment. The Ravens need someone that can get his best out of him EVERY game.

On defense, I really want to see a younger more energetic coach. The saying is that the team takes on the personality of it's coach and we've seen that with the Ravens defense. There is a clear contrast in guys like Rex and Chuck and guys like Mattison and Pees. My concern with Pees is that at 60+ years old and having a reserved personality, how much does he really relate to these players? I am sure he's a nice guy and the players like him but can he motivate them to run through brick walls like Rex or Chuck could. Mattison couldn't and it really doesn't look like Pees can either.

For the drunk, I agree. I also think it's time to look at a new WR coach.

Edit
    One more note about Pees. I really don't like the bend but don't break mentality that he brings. That is a part of the problem. The best defenses fight for every fucking yard.