Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Blog Entries

Re: What has actually happened to our defense?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Not too long ago we had Ray, Sizzle, Ngata, and JJ, dancing around to music before the offense snapped the ball because they were that good, QB's would stare at them and shit their pants as if it was a bunch of predators and xenomorphs about to hunt them down.

Now QB's are just laughing at our D. It really is depressing.
    Given how hard it seems to be to get guys to fill their gaps and take on blocks as it is, a lot of pre-snap movement may not exactly help keep them disciplined.

I do think that once Suggs and Upshaw are consistent starters we'll have the edge setters on par, if not above, the JJ Suggs combo. Upshaw really looks to be a good run defender with a bit more burst than JJ. A good NT could really help the ILBs. Alas we'll have to wait to get one of those.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Given how hard it seems to be to get guys to fill their gaps and take on blocks as it is, a lot of pre-snap movement may not exactly help keep them disciplined.

I do think that once Suggs and Upshaw are consistent starters we'll have the edge setters on par, if not above, the JJ Suggs combo. Upshaw really looks to be a good run defender with a bit more burst than JJ. A good NT could really help the ILBs. Alas we'll have to wait to get one of those.
    Yeah I'm a big fan of Upshaw and like the way he's going too, but we don't have the help on the Dline as you said. Cory Redding was a really underrated piece to our defense last year.

Blog Entries

Along with Bannan (who helped out D be a lot more diverse in the fronts we could put out there) I think we've been pretty good at bringing in DL talent and getting the best out of them over the years. As has been mentioned elsewhere, I think McBean would have been another in that line of guys that can fills gaps and you see bursting into the backfield every so often.

I was sorry to see Redding go because I think anyone with working eyes could see that he had a really good motor and he often got penetration. Jones doesn't seem to have that and McPhee doesn't look like he can handle an expanded role.