Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Mcnair couldn't win in the rain and Flacco can't win on the road...

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    This TEAM shit the bed today. If you can take anything away from this game about Flacco is that he's not so special that he can step up and take over the game. When enough things go right he excels and when alot of things go bad, he has a tendency to make them worse. That's not uncommon or unheard of it. It takes a really special player to just will his team to a win. Flacco is not that guy.
    Every team in the league shits the bed from time-to-time. Hell, a week ago the Texans got dismantled, at home, on national TV. I read the Texans message boards, they were ready to fire Kubiak and dump Schaub.

Nobody looks like they belong in the league when you are on the receiving ends of these games.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyrl View Post
    Lastly the Ravens forced 5 punts on defense (same as the Texans) including the first 3 possessions. It's hard to hold an already maligned defense too accountable in a game when the offense only manages 21 min of possession and gives up 9 points themselves.

The offense had 9 possessions of less than 1:30 & 5 of those lasted less than 1 minute.
    Wow. That is very disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyrl View Post
    Some quick #'s:

47 called passes - 121 yds 1 TD (2.57 per) 1 safety & 1 TD the other way
    12 called runs (including 2 by Flacco) 55 yds (4.58 per)

37 plays from the shotgun only 1 run
    A good defense like HOU becomes dominant if you announce that you're passing the ball (w/ the shotgun) pre-snap. Defenders pin back their ears and if they don't get immediate push they get set to jump and swat passes.

Houston is the team that timed Miami's cadence watching Hard Knocks. Surely they were well aware that the Ravens shotgun involves Yanda slapping Birk's thigh, then Birk rocking back and forth and snapping immediately. So in addition to "announcing" intentions to pass the Ravens also give the defense a head start if they're paying attention in the shotgun (WHICH THEY USED 37 TIMES).

Lastly the Ravens forced 5 punts on defense (same as the Texans) including the first 3 possessions. It's hard to hold an already maligned defense too accountable in a game when the offense only manages 21 min of possession and gives up 9 points themselves.

The offense had 9 possessions of less than 1:30 & 5 of those lasted less than 1 minute.
    All are excellent points. Great post.

It is very disconcerting to see our offense tip its hand all game long against a great defense. And our addiction to passing the ball to the extent we make one of the league's best RBs a non-factor while hamstringing our own defense in terms of time of possession is also sad to see.

I think Houston is probably the better, more well-rounded team, especially including the injuries into the equation. And they were more "up" for the game. So losing the game isn't a big issue with me. The issue is how we lost, and the stubborn tendencies that exacerbate our struggles on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Dead wrong. There's nothing you can do when a pass rusher comes through clean from the blind side. There's a reason why they call it the blind side. He was there in two seconds flat.
    Did you watch the Bengals game last night? They were clocking Dalton and the ball was coming out on average 1.6 seconds after the snap.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Did you watch the Bengals game last night? They were clocking Dalton and the ball was coming out on average 1.6 seconds after the snap.
    The same Dalton(14 of 28 passes for 105 yards) who has lead his team to 3 straight losses? I certainly did. We are analyzing Joe Flacco's one play in the endzone. That one play has nothing to do with Dalton's performance last night.

Honorable
    The same Dalton(14 of 28 passes for 105 yards) who has lead his team to 3 straight losses? I certainly did. We are analyzing Joe Flacco's one play in the endzone. That one play has nothing to do with Dalton's performance last night.

I wish I had some crayons so I could better explain this to you, but here goes:

The point is, 2 seconds is plenty of time to release a football. I'm not justifying the protection, or lack there of, but come on, consider the circumstances: your standing in your endzone, your o-line is getting worked against a dominant pass rush, and it's your blindside. To not even look for pressure from the blindside was a rookie mistake. I mean he shrugged off looking as if JO was on the left side. Remnded me of he Polamalu strip sack for a few years ago. It looked like Joe though he knew what the Texans were trying to do and was wrong. Sorry, it's on Joe.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

I heard the announcer last night say they're working with Dalton because he gets rid of the ball TOO fast. I didn't watch the 2nd half but he sure looks like he's improving overall

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    So you have no idea what you're talking about?

http://www.ravenspr.com/player_bios/joe_flacco.pdf

Among all NFL quarterbacks since 2008, Flacco has produced
    22 total road wins (including playoffs), second to only Eli
    Manning (23)

That stat took me all of two seconds to look up. Before speaking, research.
    I see your stats. Stats can lie. I said good teams.... I didn't say mediocre teams. Lets take the stats out of the team realm, shall we? Lets look at his stats against the really good teams on the road. Lets look at what matters... the playoffs.

@ Miami. 9/23, 135 yards 0 TD -0 INT.
    @ Tenn. 11/22, 148 yards, 1 TD.
    @ Pit 13/30, 141 yards, 3 INT

@ NE. 4/10, 34 yds. 1 INT
    @ IND. 20/35, 189, 2 INT

vs. KC. 25/34, 265 yards, 2 TD
    @ PIT. 16/30, 125 yds. 1 TD, 1 INT

vs. HOU (@ Home against a 3rd string QB). 14/27, 176 yards, 2 TD
    @ NE. 22/36, 306 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT

So, he has 2 good performances (highlighted in red) in away games in the playoffs... And one good game at home against a team led by a 3rd string QB. And while he may have 22 road wins in the stat books. He gets credit for a few wins, where he had little to do with the teams performance (i.e NE in 2009)... or the team won in spit of his performance (i.e KC a few weeks ago). These stats tell me that he CAN NOT put a team on his back, on the road, on a consistent basis.
    Last edited by MinnesotaRaven; 10-22-2012 at 09:57 AM.

The point is, 2 seconds is plenty of time to release a football. I'm not justifying the protection, or lack there of, but come on, consider the circumstances: your standing in your endzone, your o-line is getting worked against a dominant pass rush, and it's your blindside. To not even look for pressure from the blindside was a rookie mistake. I mean he shrugged off looking as if JO was on the left side. Remnded me of he Polamalu strip sack for a few years ago. Sorry, it's on Joe.
    No.

Ray Rice was set up on the left side and should have blocked any free runner from the left. Instead, he cut ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE FIELD to chip block on the right. Now, if Flacco made that protection call, that's on him. That's unlikely--usually a back/TE lined up in the backfield will "play sides" and block anyone who blitzes that side, if no one comes they should leak out to the flat for a dumpoff. That's the usual MO for that situation.

It's very unusual for a blocker in the backfield to do what Rice did, and it caused the safety. The play call wasn't even a bad call, it was simply a disaster of blocking execution. The Texans put 7 on the line, rushed 6, and we had 6 in to block with a chance for Pitta to chip somebody as he came out of the bunch right. It should have been a first down play but the pooch was screwed.

Blog Entries

Zing!

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Honorable

The point is, 2 seconds is plenty of time to release a football. I'm not justifying the protection, or lack there of, but come on, consider the circumstances: your standing in your endzone, your o-line is getting worked against a dominant pass rush, and it's your blindside. To not even look for pressure from the blindside was a rookie mistake. I mean he shrugged off looking as if JO was on the left side. Remnded me of he Polamalu strip sack for a few years ago. It looked like Joe though he knew what the Texans were trying to do and was wrong. Sorry, it's on Joe.
    No need to resort to childishness. I knew exactly where you coming from but when you cite Timthoy Dalton as your counterarguement that's when you should have put those crayons away. I don't recall Dalton ever being backed up towards his own endzone like Joe so let's talk identical circumstances before we bring in another "Hey that QB would have done it differently" nonsense.

Overall Joe had a terrible game and did resort to some "rookie" mistakes but not on that endzone play. It looked like the play called for another slow developing route coupled with a porous OL so blame goes mostly to playcalling and OL on that particular play.

but when you cite Timthoy Dalton as your counterarguement that's when you should have put those crayons away.
    Wait, the bengals have James Bond at QB? How can they lose?