Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Rollouts, pumpfakes?

You won't have to worry about winning any home playoff games. They won't be in the playoffs for anyone to worry about that possibility.

We need to spread it out more and be prepared to throw quick short passes to wherever the blitz comes from. We also need to run from the spread formation. We need quick slants, WR inside screens, back-pedal and loft to the RB screens (Packers style) or delayed draws. We need to run more crossing patterns and less "straight-forward for 10-15 yard before outside break or stop" routes.

We basically need to get rid of the ball way more quickly and call plays that at minimum address the pass rush and at maximum exploit the blitz. Obviously, optimally, you want your OL to give you 5+ seconds every play. But when it is obvious that on that day this is not likely to occur, your choice should not be to pray the next play is different from the previous 20 plays (in terms of protection), but rather to adjust your play calls that assume you will not have much time to get rid of it. And when adjusting, I am way in favor of more receivers, less blockers and quicker throws than I am the max-protect crap where we send out 1-2 receivers and keep extra guys in to block. The former strategy means your QB and WRs have to make some pre-snap and very fast decisions, which maybe they cannot be relied on to do, but if done correctly is better than the latter strategy (that we seem to mostly employ if we adjust at all).

Blog Entries

Spread formation??? Whats that???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Pees looks like he is in over his head on the sidelines, he is fuckin horrible.
    What I don't get is that Pees was pretty creative as the DC of the Patriots. He had pressure coming from all over the place and it wasn't exactly loaded with personnel. Outside of Wilfork I don't think even 1 other player is still even on those teams. How is it that Pees could turn Tully Banta-Cain into a real pass rusher but can't do it with any of the Ravens players? At least we saw a corner blitz with Williams getting in there. Nice to see something a little creative.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

jsmoove-
    THAT'S a straight line if I ever heard one! ;)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    What I don't get is that Pees was pretty creative as the DC of the Patriots. He had pressure coming from all over the place and it wasn't exactly loaded with personnel. Outside of Wilfork I don't think even 1 other player is still even on those teams. How is it that Pees could turn Tully Banta-Cain into a real pass rusher but can't do it with any of the Ravens players? At least we saw a corner blitz with Williams getting in there. Nice to see something a little creative.
    how much of Pees success was a credit to Bill though? We've seen these Bilecheck disciples leave for other jobs and they never have the same success as when they were in N.E.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    jsmoove-
    THAT'S a straight line if I ever heard one! ;)
    :D the only way i do it bruh.

Blog Entries

how much of Pees success was a credit to Bill though? We've seen these Bilecheck disciples leave for other jobs and they never have the same success as when they were in N.E.
    That's an excellent point. I never really thought about it but so many have failed other places that it must be a factor.

Blog Entries

I doubt bill is the kinda coach to just let his assistants manage their sections of team, you can tell he is involves in every aspect, kind if a control freak. I doubt we will ever see bilicheck sitting on the sidelines and let one of his coaches piss the game away with him not saying a word.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Why they dont use [pump fakes and rollouts] I have no idea?
    Bootlegs were working for Schaub: I guess today Joe would have run into guys setting the edge with arms up ready to slap down his passes. But some kind of play action helps keep the defense thinking about run.

11. Re: Rollouts, pumpfakes?

I doubt bill is the kinda coach to just let his assistants manage their sections of team, you can tell he is involves in every aspect, kind if a control freak. I doubt we will ever see bilicheck sitting on the sidelines and let one of his coaches piss the game away with him not saying a word.
    Part of that is because Bill knows his job is on the line if he allows his assistants to constantly screw up.

He hasn't forgotten that he WAS fired by the Ravens shortly after the Browns relocated to Baltimore.

Ravens offense looked completely lost after the first drive. Texans figure out what they were trying to do and the Ravens couldn't counter. First time I've ever said this but the offense did look vanilla today, I knew we were going to dig ourselves a deeper hole when we started the second half with a non hurry up, non spread formation. We should have done a bette job of dictating the tempo in the second half (i.e no huddle, sugar huddle)...SMH